Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29801 - 10/31/04 10:40 PM Parrot Pesto  
For Kiko Offline
For Kiko  Offline

Big Island of Hawaii
I would like to know if anyone uses this product for their cockatoos, and if it would be an important addition to their diet. We were also looking at the Gumnut assortment and the eucalyptus chews. These are very expensive, and I would appreciate feedback before investing this kind of money. We do have eucalyptus trees here on our island, but I'm not sure if all eucalyptus trees are safe. These items are at this URL http://www.budgieworld.net/ParrotShack_PlaygymsBirdTreats.htm thank you, Mary

#29802 - 11/01/04 02:37 AM Re: Parrot Pesto  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Wow, I've never seen that stuff before! I know eucalypyus is supposedly safe for birds and they do roost, eat, etc., in the trees. I assume it would be completely safe, I have declined some eucalyptus offers from California as I found out there are many species of the plant and I didn't feel safe.

I personally would think it's okay but I also think it is very expensive and if your bird is happy AND healthy, I doubt if things like this are necessary. They have some neat names: Cockachews and Parrot Pesto, LOL. I have thought of having parrot WITH pesto! laugh

#29803 - 11/01/04 10:38 AM Re: Parrot Pesto  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Very interesting. My M2 does chew on the leaves and the flowers. I'd like to see the actual research on which the claims about the various parts of the euc trees are based. Are you sure there aren't any eucalyptus trees on any of the Hawaiian islands? Try a Google search on "trees of Hawaii" or something.

One claim about the "Pesto" that bothers me is this: "Chlorophyll that benefits your bird's body by improving the supply of oxygen to the circulatory system." I don't believe this. The chlorophyll molecule has the same structure (porphyrin ring) as the heme of hemoglobin molecules of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to your tissues. That's the connection they are making. As you probably know, hemoglobin carries (is built around) iron, which has a high affinity for oxygen. Chlorophyll, on the other hand, has magnesium at its center. When you eat something, including cholorophyll-rich plant material, it gets broken down in your digestive system. You aren't getting anything that's going to increase oxygen supply.

Dubious health claims like that always put me off. I wouldn't spend $40 on something like that. You can find other places that sell eucalyptus branches, and you can cut them down to foot toy size.

OK - I found some sites for you to check out. Apparently, former pineapple and sugar cane crop land is being converted to eucalyptus forest. You should be able to get "freebies" when they thin the forests. There are also probably trees growing outside of private timber industry property. Make sure you thoroughly wash anything you give to your birds, no matter where you collected it.

Blue Gum in HI

HI Agroforestry

#29804 - 11/01/04 02:49 PM Re: Parrot Pesto  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
Ladyhawk,
I am sure you will appreciate the ads for "ultra special oxygenated water just for birds!"
"Avian by Bio2 Pet Labs is the unprecedented choice for pet birds' water needs! ...Using unique, patented technology, the purified water is enhanced at the molecular level..."
Apparently, water can be something like H 2 O 2??
And here I thought it could only be H 2 O !!!!
Geez!
If you must run out and buy this freak of nature, it's only available at PETCO! It'll put you back a paltry $3.99 (1 liter)! eek

#29805 - 11/01/04 03:20 PM Re: Parrot Pesto  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide!

#29806 - 11/01/04 04:07 PM Re: Parrot Pesto  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
So do they know what are they selling ??? :rolleyes:

#29807 - 11/02/04 12:52 AM Re: Parrot Pesto  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Yup - hydrogen peroxide - blonde in a bottle! A similar product called Oxywater (I think) supposedly cures cancer and AIDS. I'm not even going to go into it! What a bunch of hooey. Anyone thinking about buying this stuff needs to remember that we and other mammals and birds extract our oxygen from air, not dissolved oxygen in water. Many amphibians (lungless salamanders, frogs) can extract O2 from water, but not birds and mammals. AARRGGGGHHHH!

#29808 - 11/02/04 01:27 AM Re: Parrot Pesto  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
I suspect that it is even harder to extract ones air through the lining of the stomach. Maybe if we breathed it, but I'm not going to be the first to try.

#29809 - 11/02/04 02:31 AM Re: Parrot Pesto  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Right! So here's the "obvious" solution: you buy the Parrot Pesto and let your bird wash it down with the "Avian" water (no play on Evian, of course)! Bingo! Sigh...

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny