Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28869 - 02/15/04 09:29 PM chicken drumsticks as a treat  
A Handful Offline
A Handful  Offline

johannesburg - south africa
i give my U2 chicken drumsticks minus the meat as a treat and boy does he love it. he discards the two ends and then cracks the bone down the middle in order to scoop the marrow out. lately when i go to buffet functions i ask the kitchen staff to please make me a "doggybag" of all the bones. (perhaps they think i cannot afford decent food) the bones are then frozen and when needed are defrosted in a cup of hot water. besides the odd piece of cheese, bones are his best treat and really help when he needs to be preoccupied but i am careful not to use the bones or any other treat as a way of getting him to stop shouting as i defenetly do not want to inforce reward for bad behaviour. any thoughts on bones and cheese and can anyone recommend onything else as a suitable treat. laugh

#28870 - 02/16/04 01:36 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
MsSmurfy Offline
MsSmurfy  Offline

Florida USA
Haha...I too have also given my birds the bones of many meals which I cook...usually when I pressure cook meals, leaving very soft bones with yummy marrow to be had...thats what my birds LOVE indeed....I know many may not approve...BUT my birds absolutelutely love this as a special treat from time to time...and the marrow is very good for them as far as blood/bone building minerals etc....

#28871 - 02/16/04 01:55 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
Frosty's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Frosty's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Valencia, CA
Chicken bones are my CAG's absolute favorite food it the world. She'd eat the entire chicken, if I'd let her, so I have to watch her (and hubby) to make sure she doesn't over do it! It doesn't bother him now, (2 years later) but the first time Happy (CAG) worked a bone to death hubby got so grossed out, that he had to leave the room.

"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind"
- Carly Simon
#28872 - 02/16/04 02:48 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
MsSmurfy Offline
MsSmurfy  Offline

Florida USA
Somehow, I just KNEW that if I dare posted that my birds ate bones here or there...this place would definitely have someone somewhere POST that it would be a NO_NO....hahhaaha...Welll....My birds have survived for years happily doing so....and "NO" they don't have a bone of anything every week...it is merely once in a rare while...and they LOVE it! And I plan to continue to give them such a treat... Dr. Mike with full respect, has some pertinent issues BUT come on now... lets just be realistic....it isn't as if we are eating a gallon of ice cream...OK? Anything in extreme OF COURSE is not good for anybody...including US!!! I tell you what, my Ducorps also LOVES shrimp...when I am preparing a shrimp meal I can barely keep that bird away from eating shrimp! So...TIKI gets shrimp when we have shrimp...which is not every day of the week, but many weekends we do shrimp on the skewers,BBQ style & TIKI is right there while I prepare shrimp....Hey...all the birds in Florida eat the fish in Florida waters....so why not shrimp as a treat for TIKI on the weekends once in awhile??? TIKI loves shrimp, TIKI gets shrimp once in awhile....I believe that variation in the birds diets is certainly fine and there certainly is no STRICT avenue that any bird must follow to survive. To each, his own...may we each make such judgement...I intend to...And may every bird be healthy because we offer such variations OTHER then boring seed & pellets!

#28873 - 02/16/04 03:15 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
MsSmurfy Offline
MsSmurfy  Offline

Florida USA
Awww Geesh...I do apologize sincerely IF I have come across defensively~ HONESTLY I did not mean that for you my dear, and if you feel my posts are so offensive, I will indeed refrain...Plz forgive me if I offended anyone...I merely figured this way_was the they way we were permitted to speak here...to speak what we believed & felt to be true...I am sorry if I offended anyone...I did not intend to. If you would like me to leave...I will... I certainly have no intentions of hurting ones feelings...i didn't know I was...Kindly accept my apologies. Afterall, you have been most helpful along with many others with so much information shared...thank you for at least the lil bit I was allowed to learn from you...take care~

#28874 - 02/16/04 04:18 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

You don't have to leave MsSmurfy, just stop taking every post personally. I believe M2mom was responding to the original poster, since that is who started the thread and presented the question about bones etc., not you. You are welcome to post here with your opinions and thoughts on any subject, just leave the paranoia at home please. No ones out to get you here.

P.S. That being said, I find many of your posts to be combative in nature, so while you are free to post your opinion, don't be shocked or surprised when your defensive or argumentative posts are also taken as such. We don't beat around the bush here with winks and smiles and cute gestures. We say what we mean and we mean what we say, nothing more, nothing less.

#28875 - 02/17/04 05:20 PM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Cocoa, FL
With so many other goodies our birds enjoy, why take a chance and feed something that isn't that healthy for our birds? Using the search engine will pull up lots of healthy, delicious treats for our birds.

BTW, to follow an earlier thread on Harrison's pellets. My birds enjoy Harrisons. They have had Harrison pellets from the day they came to live with us and as you can see by their pictures on our Members Web Page, their feathers are fabulous. As an extra treat, a dab of organic peanut butter on their pellets has my bird's doing a song and dance for their pellet bowl.

#28876 - 02/19/04 01:26 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
Lei Offline
Lives Here
Lei  Offline
Lives Here

Oklahoma City
Quote:
Somehow, I just KNEW that if I dare posted that my birds ate bones here or there...this place would definitely have someone somewhere POST that it would be a NO_NO....hahhaaha...Welll....My birds have survived for years happily doing so....and "NO" they don't have a bone of anything every week...it is merely once in a rare while...and they LOVE it! And I plan to continue to give them such a treat... Dr. Mike with full respect, has some pertinent issues BUT come on now... lets just be realistic....
It would be negligent of us to not post about the dangers invovled with any type of food or product. While each person will determine what is acceptable food and/or risk, many people do not understand what moderation truly is... Take human consumption of fast food in America - we have gone from an 8oz drink as normal to a 32oz drink as normal.

I appreciate M2Mom for posting the link regarding chicken for the orginal poster and any lurkers who have yet to discover the "Search" feature.

Lei

#28877 - 02/19/04 02:33 AM Re: chicken drumsticks as a treat  
Jo Ann Offline
Lives Here
Jo Ann  Offline
Lives Here

toronto canada
I dont know , eek giving chicken bones scares me.I have given my conure and my M2 1 bone each once, and the whole time eatting it I watched scared outta my pants that they would cut thier insides up from slivers when I seen them tearing it apart for the marrow. I watched pieces of bone drop while they ate the marrow but what if they swallowed a tiny piece of it? Thats all it would take to hurt them... I havnt givin them one since cause I stressed out forever after that time worrying that they ate some bone. I dont have a problem giving them the meat tho, which is not very often mabey 1 time every few mnths and just a tiny bit mixed into thier veggies

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny