Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24302 - 02/11/04 12:08 AM CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
MsSmurfy Offline
MsSmurfy  Offline

Florida USA
Ok maybe this link will work...
OK great...this may not work either I have sent the story to Jerry Please watch to see IF he will find a way to post it for us IF he decides it is important or not..I feel it is...Take care!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/02/10/birdflu.philippines.reut/index.html

NOTE FROM MONA:
MsSmurfy, if you want a URL to show up as a clickable link, just click on the URL button you see below when you are preparing your post, paste the URL into the little window that pops up, then either type in a name or the url again in the second window that pops up. It's very easy.

#24303 - 02/11/04 12:18 AM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
Frosty's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Frosty's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Valencia, CA
The link works! And, (sorry Jerry) regardless of whether he feels it's important or not, I am disgusted! angry That sweet little face poking out of the cage looks just like my Crunchbird, who passed away in 2000. Then, to find out that they were burned!!!!! God, when will these stupid excuses for human beings realize that birds are NOT decorations. They are NOT possessions. They are NOT put on this earth for our enjoyment. They ARE living, breathing, feeling creatures who deserve to live their lives to the fullest - as we all do. Just makes me want to . . . . . . . . Well, you get the picture!

"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind"
- Carly Simon
#24304 - 02/11/04 01:24 AM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
Jo Ann Offline
Lives Here
Jo Ann  Offline
Lives Here

toronto canada
That just ***** me off!!! Sorry for the potty word but THEY COULDNT AFFORD TO TEST THE 4 THAT DIED???? I am sorry that is just pathetic angry

#24305 - 02/11/04 02:34 AM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
june Offline
june  Offline

wales england
I don't know if the thinking will be the same in your country as mine but the thoughts are that if it is belived that there is a possibly of the flu has been brought into the country by wild birds then the first area the Goverment will look at is avery kept birds, as it is possible that droppings from the wild bird could get into the avery.

So if you put your babies outside in an avery I would think about keeping them in and ensuring that it is clear that your bird has not been outside.

Hopefully it will never come to the point where our own birds are in danger of being killed,
But as Jerry has already told me "man" has to correct his mistakes and this birdflu sure feels like one big **** up by man to me.

#24306 - 02/11/04 03:47 AM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
Frosty's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Frosty's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Valencia, CA
I absolutely agree with Jerry! Sometimes man has to fix the mess he got himself into. We had that same thing happen here in Santa Clarita, when END hit Southern California back in 2001. All of the birds at one of our local parks were put down, including a 25+ year old Tom turkey (who they later found out was a carrier). One feed store that had been in business for over 50 years is no longer open.

What really bothers me about this story, however, is the following:

350 birds were shipped. Of these 350, only 8 had died. The article didn't say if they died in transit or were they in quarantine? This is going to sound harsh, but looking at this from a strictly business viewpoint, losing 8 of your 350 pieces of merchandise (and that's what these birds were) is less than a 2.5% loss. Not bad when you're shipping live merchandise. Now, if there was such a bad case of this flu, why weren't these birds tested. Without the test, there is no way of knowing WHAT these little guys died from. Maybe not enough food. Maybe not enough water. Maybe they weren't strong enough for the trip. Lots and lots of things could have gone wrong. But, without a test, putting them down like this just seems wrong.

The article goes on to say
Quote:
The Philippines has reported no cases so far.
I believe that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, but wouldn't it be nice to know if you NEED the prevention to begin with.

And finally,
Quote:
The colorful birds were confiscated and killed on Monday after the Department of Agriculture ordered them destroyed because the shipment lacked a proper import permit
So, they were destroyed because of paperwork, not the flu?!?!?

We may never know the REAL reason for them being put down, but it still saddens me.

"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind"
- Carly Simon
#24307 - 02/11/04 05:44 AM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
Valex Offline
Valex  Offline

Massachusetts
other countries always seem to do this, with every aspect of animals, no respect for life once again. Its awful, and someday i hope it changes...

#24308 - 02/11/04 04:14 PM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I believe this is only going to be the beginning with this bird flu issue. It certainly is unfortunate and very sad. I wonder if this will slow down the bird trade a bit. I hope so.

#24309 - 02/11/04 11:07 PM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
june Offline
june  Offline

wales england
The very sad fact with this bird flu is that for "man" to correct his mistake this time might mean him putting down your beloved bird along with birds from the local park and birds in transit.As this might be the way they feel is needed to prevent the flu from spreading.

Sometimes it is easier to except what is happening to other birds as being the right and only cure until it gets close to home.

Please understand we here in England went though this sort of thing only a few years ago with the foot and mouth outbreak.
During that time they were killing peoples pets as well as farm animals.
Many people keep sheep and goats as pets even cows here in Wales.

People were killing themselves at the lost of their beloved animals.

So I know first hand just how awful it can get when man has to put right his mistakes. shocked

#24310 - 02/11/04 11:14 PM Re: CNN NEWS RELEASE Lovebirds Killed  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I still say that if it were dog or cat flu it would be handled way different. It's sad that birds don't rate with many people.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny