Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259957 - 08/31/16 11:55 PM Quick hello  
Leiloni Offline
Leiloni  Offline

BC Canada
Hi everyone, my name is Leiloni, and I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia! I have just rescued a U2 from the parrot refuge that was shut down in Coombs due to many many reasons.. Havana is 17 (from band info) but that's about all we know about her, as the paperwork somehow got misplaced for most 500 plus birds.. I am loving this site, and learning many knew things about cockatoos, and looking forward to learning much more as Havana and I, new adventure begins.. Cheers

#259960 - 09/01/16 03:57 AM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Welcome! It's so good to have people here that KNOW these "used" parrots are magnificent additions to the family. My blood boils and my heart hurts when I hear all the excuses people have for not rescuing a parrot! Welcome and we are wishing you the best of experiences. Lots of people here are happy to help you with the rough spots. Enjoy the journey and wonder of getting to know your new friend.

Last edited by Birdfriend; 09/01/16 03:58 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#259968 - 09/01/16 11:34 PM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
Leiloni Offline
Leiloni  Offline

BC Canada
Thank you so much! This site has quickly become my favourite for both Havana and I! She sits in the doorway of her cage, and listens to me reading the posts out loud to her! Lol learning so much and can't possibly thank everyone enough for all the information on here, you are all a god send.. Cheers!

#259971 - 09/02/16 03:16 AM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome to Mytoos and thank you for taking in one so needy. Havana is a lucky girl to have landed with someone ready to do the research to provide her the best home.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259985 - 09/06/16 10:43 PM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Sounds like a good start for you both. Thank you so much for taking her in! Welcome. smile

#259988 - 09/08/16 05:58 AM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
That was a terrible situation and it's so nice to hear from people like yourself that were able to step up and help a bird from there. Another one of our members recently adopted 2 that came from the same place.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#259991 - 09/11/16 04:35 PM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
6toos2 Offline
6toos2  Offline

Sooke, bc
Great to see you made it to the board! Everyone here is super helpful

#259992 - 09/11/16 06:20 PM Re: Quick hello [Re: EchosMom]  
Originally 3toos Offline
Originally 3toos  Offline

Originally Posted By EchosMom
That was a terrible situation and it's so nice to hear from people like yourself that were able to step up and help a bird from there. Another one of our members recently adopted 2 that came from the same place.

Yes and hopefully we will see more people who adopted them come over to this forum.
People here are most helpful. Glad you found this forum.

My wife and I have been members here since 2002, and we just adopted four cockatoos from the WPR.

Peter

#260057 - 10/31/16 07:07 PM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
Gabers Offline
Gabers  Offline

I have a cockatoo named Gabers. He is 11 years old. I brought him to a forever home. A very sweet loveable bird. For the first month he allowed me to hold him, pet him and would step up. After that he shunned me. I read other posts about being patient. I tried. Then I was told by another bird owner that I had to show him who is boss. Big mistake! after another month of being patient he will only allow me to talk to him or play ball at a distance. I am so sad now. Can anyone help me?

#260058 - 11/01/16 05:03 AM Re: Quick hello [Re: Leiloni]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos! My advice is time and patience. Once the honeymoon phase passes and a bird becomes more comfortable it's not unusual for them to take a few steps and the two of you have to work on developing a trusting relationship. Being the boss is counter productive and no doubt about it, you lost some of the bird's trust and you're going to have to earn it back. Let Gabers set the pace. Watch and learn his body language.

The Behavior forum will be your best friend and read the articles pinned to the top. Also another suggestion. Please take a moment to start a new thread in the New Members Intro forum and start individual threads in the correct forum for specific questions if sesrching the forums didn't help you. Piggy backing on someone' else's introduction is going to cause members to maybe miss your posts.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny