Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 29 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259598 - 05/04/16 09:15 PM I have a couple of cage questions.  
BigWill1985 Offline
BigWill1985  Offline

Virginia Beach, VA
When I rescued my Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo (Angel), she was given to me in the cage she has lived in for the last 14 years. It is honestly too small for her. I had a good month this past month, and finally was able to set aside the funds to buy her another cage.

I would like to get a large corner cage, so she will have plenty of room to roam. She is extremely healthy, and seems to be doing good but I really want to give her a bigger room to play in while I'm at work. I generally open the cage and let her roam the house when I get home and my 4 year old son isn't in the main floor of my house (they tend to startle each other). Can someone point me in a direction to pick up a reasonbly priced corner cage? I am hoping to spend under $1200 if at all possible. But, I need a cage that will last for many years to come.

How are the cages that I see on Amazon and eBay? Does anyone have any knowledge on their quality and design?

Also, I'm wanting to buy an aviary to let Angel hang out in the front yard during nice days. Most of my neighbors have already met Angel (she loves going outside during rain showers), and everyone seems to love her. I think she might have fun chatting with the neighbors as theey walk by. She suffered from a broken wing when she was much younger, and was never taken to a vet for it. So, she can not fly at all. But she is still very active. I know that I will need to get a hefty aviary with a locking door (or doors), and many signs around to let people know that they can talk to her but not to put fingers in the cage. She has never shown aggressiveness with people sticking fingers in her cage, but I'd hate her to start. I also need the aviary to be strong enough that other animals won't be able to get to Angel. I will be outside with her

Where can I find a reasonably priced aviary? I seen one on Amazon, but it looks to just have a wood frame and screen which would last maybe 30 seconds with Angel inside.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me. I just want to make sure Angel has the best possible home, and the most fulfilling life I can. She is definitely doing a LOT better compared to how she was living before. This bird has really enriched our lives beyond our wildest imaginations!

~Will Courtier~

#259600 - 05/04/16 11:47 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Will I bought a cage on Ebay a number of years ago for Cassie. It was a great deal. I spent, with shipping less than I would have normally for a cage half the size. When you find the cage you like call the company and ask them where the cage is manufactured and what type of paint they use. I called a few that were shady to say the least or at least incompetent telling me that the cage was from China or Mexico but painted with "good" paint. The company I dealt with were pretty good, made in the US, paint tested for lead and offer a full refund if not satisfied.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259681 - 06/03/16 08:49 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
nehumanuscrede Offline
nehumanuscrede  Offline

Texas
You can also go with the " no paint " option, but Stainless Steel cages can get pricey rather quickly.

If you can swing it, I can recommend one of the Cages by Design setups. Though the larger sizes may be a bit outside of the $1200 range you are asking for I have had no issues with the cage for the past eleven years.

The only drawback is they are quite large so you'll need a spot big enough to accommodate them. Tic-Tac has lived in one his whole life and it's held up very well.

Outside aviaries need some additional thought put into them based on where you live. If not Stainless Steel, they can potentially rust if exposed to moisture ( mine disintegrated after Hurricane Ike came roaring through ). Mosquitoes, stray cats / animals are also a consideration if you live in an area prone to them. The outside aviary would be best built with a standoff area between the inner and outer cage walls. This will prevent folks ( and cats ) from sticking their fingers / paws into the cage and either causing or receiving damage.

Also, even if she cannot fly, you'll be surprised how far she can get if the wind is blowing enough laugh Be careful during transitions periods from inside to outside.

#259770 - 06/19/16 10:19 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

I had a very different experience with Cages by Design. I spent a lot of money on a 3x6 foot cage that was difficult to assemble, legs failed to support, and after only a few months has been sitting in pieces in my storage shed for years. I won't even sell it as I think it's junk.

Recently built an outdoor 10x20 foot aviary. Bought two high quality dog kennels which I then covered (top, bottom,sides) with cage wire. Roof is supported by PVC pipes. I've been told its attractive, and I know my M2 enjoys it. Two main considerations, of course, keep bird inside/keep predators outside.

#259774 - 06/20/16 02:43 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Just a quick comment on corner cages. Remember when choosing size that by virtue of the shape, you are losing interior living space for your bird. So definitely get the biggest that the corner will accommodate. I believe AE Cages manufacturers outdoor SS aviaries and sells on EBay.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#259807 - 06/30/16 02:56 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: EchosMom]  
RICH PELLERIN Offline
RICH PELLERIN  Offline

Sorry but your first post here at Mytoos is not going to be slamming someone on here. That's not we are all about.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 07/01/16 03:57 AM. Reason: Inappropriate first post.
#259809 - 07/01/16 02:20 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
Annemarie Offline
Annemarie  Offline

Nsw Australia
Hi Everyone I'm a newbie here. Quick rundown of my situation -I'm a wildlife rescuer in nsw Australia and occasionally we get escaped pets. Anyway long story short I have a galah who was being looked after by another wildlife rescuer for 7 years before he passed away recently. Although it goes against everything I believe in, this bird is completely institutionalised and has no 'normal' instincts left so she will continue to stay in care permanently. I am going to build her an outdoor aviary and have a question regarding galvanized wire- which all the aviary mesh appears to be. Does anyone have any other recommendations for cage mesh other than stainless steel mesh which I have been quoted at 70dollars per metre- I want to build a 3metre x 4metre cage so this will end up being thousands of dollars which is simply not feasible. Anyway any suggestions appreciated.

#259810 - 07/01/16 02:26 PM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
Annemarie Offline
Annemarie  Offline

Nsw Australia
Oh and the reason I was trying to avoid galvanized wire is apparently it causes zinc toxicity in birds. The galahs name is jojo-she is about 7-8 years old and we don't know anything about her life before rescue. She is very tame and constantly says her name jojo! This question re wire might have been answered elsewhere -apologies if it has.

#259811 - 07/02/16 12:24 AM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: Annemarie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yes, stainless is the way to go because of toxicity of galvanized wire. It is more expensive but you will not be having to replace it for a very long time. There are some alternatives like powder coated welded after galvanizing wire mesh. There have even been aluminum chain link. There are topics about these wires if you use the search feature.

A big part of your decision will also be the extent of the climbing and "beaking" your particular bird does on the actual wire. I have a Galerita who plays daily in a powder coated galvanized aviary and does occasionally use her beak to climb around. She never chews the wire otherwise. The downside, I am seeing a few rust patches that have worked their way through the coating. The aviary is over 10 years old.

#259812 - 07/02/16 12:26 AM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
You are correct about toxicity with zinc. Very poisonous to birds. Painted wire can be an issue too because it might contain lead. Stainless is best but as you found its expensive. There are different grades of stainless maybe there is a difference in pricing? Don't have suggestion for anything else that is Too proof. Maybe someone else has suggestion

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#259813 - 07/02/16 12:40 AM Re: I have a couple of cage questions. [Re: BigWill1985]  
Annemarie Offline
Annemarie  Offline

Nsw Australia
Thanks Charlie I'll keep getting quotes. Jojo is certainly a learning experience - we have galahs wild here and it is such a shame she can't be released- she calls to the as they fly overhead and they are often seen foraging in the grass in local parks. The next best thing is to provide lots of enrichment and the best life possible. She's on an all seed diet (as per usual) which I'm slowly changing to add more balance and natural foods. Other people from the local vets have offered to take her but we refuse to release her to any breeder who will continue the cycle of misery and/or leave her locked up in an aviary all the time. Anyway I guess I'm singing to the choir here!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny