Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259530 - 03/30/16 09:51 PM Oral medicine administration  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Are there any tricks or suggestions for giving oral medication? We are having to give oral medication daily for our RB2, Hannah? We are having to medicate her with antibiotics and pain meds daily.

Today, my husband toweled her(somewhat experienced as a fish & wildlife biologist) while I put the syringe (without a needle of course) into her beak and released the medicine. It was very hard to hold her still as she was squirming.

Afterwards she was like making "coughing" like sounds and then went into her cage to eat and drink water. Then she was quiet (the pain meds are supposed to have a tranquilizing effect). She hates this (and we do too). We preened and talked with her afterwards to try and soothe her.

I thought perhaps some of you who have had to do this a lot might have some helpful suggestions that might make this easier for us. I know it is important for us to give her her meds, but I want to make this as easy as possible for all of us.

Last edited by RB2sMom; 03/30/16 09:52 PM.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#259531 - 03/31/16 02:50 AM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: RB2sMom]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Pretty much have this down to a science after nearly 11 years. I towel Chucki, but get her head positioned in my hand where I can lock her head in place with my fingers and minimize the amount she can move her beak using my thumb and finger. I try to hold her in a 45 degree angle or more so she is not laying on her back.

Wife holds Chucki's upper beak and gently opens the upper beak and using the vet supplied plastic syringe(s) squirts in the medication towards the back of her beak. If a larger dose, then we split it in half with two squirts. Chucki has gotten very good about not swallowing and simply storing it in her lower beak then flinging all over when taken back to her cage. So if the med. is a larger amount or there are more than one medications, we may stop briefly and move her around a bit to get her to swallow. This is how our Av vet showed me how to give medications except for some fine tuning I did to make it easier and more effective.

Chucki has mellowed out a lot about giving her medications. But she is a total pain trying to towel her. I've chased her to about every room in the house when trying to towel her. Toweling her often takes 10 times longer than giving the medications.

Maybe cutting the dose in half and doing it twice might help? I know you have to be somewhat careful and not get fluids down the airway. We have never had this problem but Chucki is a bigger than an RB2.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#259533 - 03/31/16 02:38 PM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I am concerned about Hannah's coughing after giving her her medicine. I did read about how medicine could be aspirated into the airways, and I was very careful to give her the medicine slowly at the side of her beak as directed and by videos that I saw. She coughed off and on afterwards for about 5-10 minutes and then no more. She is not coughing now or wheezing.

Is it normal to cough after getting oral medication? Has this happened to others of you doing this procedure? If so, to worry, or what to do?

Last edited by RB2sMom; 03/31/16 04:51 PM.

Susanne
#259536 - 03/31/16 09:38 PM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: RB2sMom]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Everything should be fine since she stopped coughing and doesn't seem distressed. The fact that she was eating and drinking right away makes me happy. By all means, get reassurance from your vet about any concerns you have.
It's strange how different each bird can be about taking oral medicine. Giving her tiny amounts slowly (as you are) is about the best way to keep her from getting it into her airways. She can "handle" the liquid if there's just a bit of it at a time to avoid breathing in. She won't be overwhelmed by the volume.
The most important thing is not to restrict her chest movement so she can breathe. Your husband's skill as a wildlife guy should be taking that into account. Your vet and the videos should have addressed that as well. Holding securely usually gets them to stop squirming. They know they can't get loose no matter what they do. I try to keep the wings tucked flat in the normal "resting" position and have their feet gripping the towel ("tucked", not flailing about). I (and my vet) always hold the bird until they calm down a bit before dosing (so they are not trying too hard to breathe). My best trick is to let the bird bite something (a corner of the towel, a small stick) after they have some medicine in their mouth (if necessary or things are taking way too long). It seems to get them to forget about keeping the medicine out of their throat and normalizes their reactions and swallowing. Maybe they are just happy to be BITING something grin . Moving that bottom mandible seems to help getting the medicine down. I have one guy I must let bite something (the towel) just to get his beak open enough to trickle in liquid. These things don't seem to be your problem, though. (Yet. grin Some of them get pretty crafty. I had a macaw that would plug the tip of the syringe with his tongue! Little bugger!). Paying close attention to YOUR bird will give you the best clues on how to proceed. I can really relate to "moving the bird around" to get the medicine down. This usually involves tipping them back to get the liquid to trickle into their throat from under their tongue.
Praising them and treating them well after they have taken their dose is always a good idea!

P.S. Chucki's "head lock" is essential, concentrating on keeping the "skull" part of the head steady. That post above is ALL good!

Last edited by Birdfriend; 03/31/16 10:33 PM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#259537 - 03/31/16 11:31 PM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: RB2sMom]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
I have always worried about aspirating the meds. but have never had any problem with that. After giving all the meds I have administered over the years, I've come to the conclusion it might be harder to aspirate that one would think. Just my opinion.

I wonder if its just something she does in reaction to giving meds. It might be interesting to just give her some water via a syringe to see if she does the same thing? Maybe she doesn't like the taste? I would discuss further with your vet.

Most of the time Chucki goes back to her cage and wipes her beak all over anything convenient trying to get the meds out of and off her beak. Usually she goes and gets a drink of water after this. That usually is the end of it until the next round.

I have given meds to our other two birds as well and never had any problems. Our Pionus who is no longer with us, used to drink meds out of the syringe so he was never a problem.

In the early days of toweling Chucki, she scared me a few times. When I toweled her, her body would go limp. Thinking I had somehow hurt her, I would release the towel and she would be out the towel like a shot and out of the room. She even pulled this on the vet a couple times.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#259539 - 04/01/16 02:28 AM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: RB2sMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Over the years with Cassie we have had to do numerous medications. She fights the meds so I went on a search to find something that she would eat with the meds mixed in. What I accidently found was Cool Whip. There was one on the counter and Cassie got into it. I did go and find an alternative one at the market. It's a soy based whipped topping very much like Cool Whip. I mix her meds with just a quarter of a teaspoon and she chows it down. No fighting or pouting afterwards.
If there is something that she especially likes that you can mix the meds into it is a whole lot less stressful for everyone. The key is to not use too much. Keep it a very small amount that she will eat all of. Good luck.
And yes they can aspirate. I saw one at the clinic, very sad.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259542 - 04/01/16 04:28 AM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: RB2sMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Trix yogurt!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#259550 - 04/02/16 11:42 PM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: RB2sMom]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
I had to take Chucki to the vet this morning because she has her usual yeast infection in her beak and throat again. So I asked the vet about aspirating. She advised it is possible to aspirate all birds. However it is much easier to do this with the smaller ones. To reduce the chance of this happening, give meds in smaller amounts and make sure it is swallowed before giving more.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#259552 - 04/03/16 02:47 PM Re: Oral medicine administration [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Thanks to all.....fortunately now, Hannah's leg has healed...no more meds now. It was quite an experience.

Susanne

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny