Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259476 - 03/14/16 02:50 PM Are hormonal attachments specifically male-female  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I was wondering if hormonal reactions were specifically male bird to human female or female bird to male human? Or is it more of a bonding thing of the bird to its favorite person....either male or female? Depending on this, I was wondering if it might help during hormonal season to make sure that a particular person does or does not handle, feed, etc. a particular bird?

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#259477 - 03/15/16 03:13 AM Re: Are hormonal attachments specifically male-female [Re: RB2sMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
In our house Cassie goes back and forth on her favorite person. My husband is number one. If he's not available she turns to me. During hormone season it's tough with her. She begins the season being attached to me and then just before she lays she attaches to my husband. In years passed we have made sure that the chosen had very little to do with her. It really did nothing though. Cassie is determined to lay eggs. This year she laid her second egg after being at the bird sitters for a week.
As far as the male/female I've seen birds go to either.
It will be interesting to see what other folks have found.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 03/15/16 03:14 AM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259478 - 03/15/16 03:51 AM Re: Are hormonal attachments specifically male-female [Re: RB2sMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
My birds (all female) are gender neutral when hormones are running high!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#259481 - 03/16/16 02:23 AM Re: Are hormonal attachments specifically male-female [Re: RB2sMom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I had heard this 15 years ago when I purchased my timneh (as always, adding the disclaimer before I knew better). Her breeder told us she could tell by head shape my timneh was male, so I got "him" so that he'd like me more. And she did like my husband and I both very well, but did slightly prefer me, so I merrily went along, thinking that was true -- until I got her DNA sexed and she was female!

I don't know of any scientific studies that have been done, but in volunteering at the parrot rescue for over a decade, I have seen enough anecdotal cases with male birds choosing male humans, female birds choosing female humans, birds of both genders liking certain people, no one, and any combination that could be imagined, I truly don't believe there is any truth to this.

On a case by case basis, it definitely can be best that a specific person not handle the bird much during specific times, but I don't think it would help things by making this a general rule for people to try out.

#259482 - 03/16/16 02:39 PM Re: Are hormonal attachments specifically male-female [Re: Beeps]  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Thank you for all your interesting feedback.

One thing I have also noticed is that displacement behavior is more pronounced now. Sometimes when my husband has one of our RB2s out and I walk into the room, he/she will attack my husband; if I get closer he/she will attack me. So during these hormonal times, we try to only have one bird out with one person in an area at a time.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny