Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258257 - 03/31/15 08:30 PM Hawk Fly By!  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie and I got quite a shock a few minutes ago. Earlier we were watching a red tailed hawk flying in circles overhead from the kitchen window. That in itself is not an unusual event around here, we have a lot of different raptors on the lake. Cassie was sitting on the faucet when she spotted it. When I looked it was only about 100 feet or so directly over our front yard. It was doing it's slow circles while gaining altitude. Cassie and I watched until it flew away. I checked for it a few more times but didn't see it. I love watching them in flight. Maybe 20 minutes to a half hour later I was doing the dishes and Cassie was sitting in the window on the faucet again. I saw a blur to my left out the window, Cassie screeched while jumping to the top of my head and there was the hawk. It had flown down on the left over a cherry tree that's up against my house, swooped down flying across in front of the window, then flew around another bush to the right and gone as quick as it came. I have never seen the hawks come so close to the windows in the past. The hawk was at most 4 or 5 feet straight out in front of the window. I don't know if he was watching Cassie or if there was another bird outside in one of the bushes. That's our excitement for the day!

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258258 - 04/01/15 05:23 AM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

That is very exciting and a little scarey for poor Cassie. There are alot of hawks in my area but I rarely see them close to the ground like that. One flew a few feet in front of my car last month, he was chasing something and boy was he fast. They are beautiful but my birds definately keep a watchful eye when they spot one. Last fall a friend of mine met someone who had a CAG, as a treat she would let him sleep (in his cage) on the outside balcony upstairs and one morning she woke to find him on the bottom of the cage, barely alive and missing a leg. Poor little guy didnt make it and I often wonder if it was a hawk that attacked him. Its a good reminder that we need to protect our birds not only from things on the ground but in the air too. I'll bet Cassie will be on hawk patrol for a while now!

#258269 - 04/06/15 07:17 AM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
It's always a bit unsettling, isn't it?! Hawks are not an unusual sight here, but when they get real close, we all get a little nervous.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#258288 - 04/10/15 12:27 PM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
No more feeding the birds and squirrels here. Yesterday morning we had major alarm calls going on when a falcon landed outside of Cassie's window. It was trying to catch a sparrow that was eating. All of the leftover seed and pellets from the bird dishes get tossed out on the patio each morning. The sparrows had moved under the gas grill where they were safe. The falcon did not look too pleased. I banged on the glass expecting it to fly away but instead just got a glare from the falcon. This morning I will be sweeping the patio. I guess I go back to broadcast feeding in the front yard.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258292 - 04/11/15 08:03 PM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
OMG What a bold hawk you have in your neighborhood!

I've seen hawks in our neighborhood, but always high up. Several times last summer I heard loud crow calls and saw a flock of crows chasing a hawk.

Abea

#258293 - 04/11/15 08:15 PM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
This has been on going for years here. I stopped using bird feeders when I looked out my front window to see a red tail hawk sitting on top of the feeder with a sparrow inside the feeder looking through the glass. Luckily for the little one, the feeder was almost empty and he was able to squeeze under the glass.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258294 - 04/11/15 08:46 PM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Bet that little sparrow was going "nyah, nyah, nyah you can't get me"

#258347 - 04/30/15 07:42 AM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
lol True, Elliott.

Jody
#258350 - 04/30/15 01:30 PM Re: Hawk Fly By! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I am now feeding the birds on the side of my neighbors yard. They have 20' tall bamboo along with forsythia and lilac all bunched together. It's where some of the sparrows live and offers good cover for them while eating. It didn't take them long to find the new spot. My neighbor across the street has the hawks coming down to her fence now. They sit there waiting for the chipmunks to come out. They are a pair of peregrine falcons. They must have a nest nearby. Hope I get to see the babies.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny