Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#256251 - 08/12/14 08:48 PM Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

(M2 and dog are always separated - if M2 is out, dog is in crate ... if dog is out, M2 is in cage. I've seen the "cute" Youtube videos of dog/bird interactions and I am horrified, just like you. This isn't about cockatoo/dog interactions.)

My almost 22 year old M2 grew up with an Akita puppy; they shared 13 years together with no problems. Since his death almost 10 years ago, I've pet sit for friends' dogs and she has always been friendly and happy with our guests. (Again, we're talking separated by cage bars). My avian vet's dog has even comforted the M2 in the exam room.

I finally have the time to devote to puppyhood, and have brought home my new puppy. The M2 likes the pup, the pup likes the M2 (except when she's especially noisy) ... but the M2 hates that I like the pup. She never looked out her window - now she seems fixated on watching our puppy play sessions in the backyard. In the house, the M2 typically spends her mornings in her "office" cage supervising my work. Well, now there's that pup tethered to my desk chair and she hates it (even when pup is sleeping). There's been no aggression or negative behavior between M2 and pup, but there are signs of it between M2 and me. Plus we have a regular once a week pet sitter (even if we don't need it that week - for socialization); the M2 was clearly angry that the pet sitter visited with and liked the puppy and refused to interact with the sitter (who she normally likes a lot).

I'm sure other members of our group have had to introduce a new family member (be it dog, cat, baby or adult human, maybe even a rabbit). Any helpful advice on how to make this less stressful to my M2? The pup is taking a lot of time (more than I had expected - and I expected a lot). I completely understand my M2's feelings and just need help showing her she's still number 1. I have been spending private time with her but it doesn't seem enough to overcome how angry she is with me for liking the puppy.

#256271 - 08/13/14 04:12 PM Re: Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy [Re: Jaclyn]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I've been thinking about this since reading it yesterday. I've not run into this but I'm sure there must be others that have. I would think it wouldn't be any different than introducing a new bird into the home. I know that there is a ton of information on that here. Good luck and I hope someone comes on soon that can help you.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#256284 - 08/13/14 09:20 PM Re: Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure it is the same as introducing a new bird (after all, she does not think of herself as a bird! Oh no, not at all!) I think it might be more like I'd gone out, got pregnant and came home with a human baby.

She's been the only pet in my life for 10 years, and we now have a puppy, and I love the puppy. She actually likes the pup. She gets down at the bottom of the cage and they have many nice exchanges thru cage bars. She just seems so angry that I like the pup (and oh, I do like this pup).

Our long term pet sitter visited again today (we have a weekly social visit, even when not needed, so that the M2 is happy to see her when I am out of town), and I texted her before hand to ignore the pup completely and focus only on the M2. She was a little happier, but still hissed and indicated that she'd bite our wonderful pet sitter if she dared tried to pet her. She hasn't bit me thru these tough first weeks, but there's been a moment or two where I know she wanted to act out her unhappiness with this turn of events.

I wasn't quite expecting the problem (shame on me) because she's always been happy with temporary dog guests. Clearly this problem is because she (smarty that she is) knows this isn't just any dog, but my dog. Never underestimate how smart our cockatoos are, or how sensitive.

#256307 - 08/15/14 04:35 AM Re: Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy [Re: Jaclyn]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Are you practicing first among equals?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#256308 - 08/15/14 04:35 AM Re: Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy [Re: Jaclyn]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Are you practicing first among equals?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#256309 - 08/15/14 01:46 PM Re: Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy [Re: Jaclyn]  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

Please explain "practicing first among equals?" I'm not sure I understand the question. Thanks.

#256311 - 08/15/14 06:25 PM Re: Reducing M2's jealousy of my love of new puppy [Re: Jaclyn]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I can't link to the site but if you google "merlin sweet pea grey" the article will come up. It's a very good read and explains "practicing first among equals"

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny