Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255314 - 04/11/14 05:22 AM Accidental M2 mom  
Rescue M2 Mom Offline
Rescue M2 Mom  Offline

Colorado
I did a lot of research on parrots online and visited the African Grey bird shop and the Gabriel Foundation several times. I started looking for the right adult African Grey to adopt/rescue. A friend suggested I look at a used parrot cage for sale cheap before the ad for the cage and stand posted in the morning. When I arrived there was a 16YO M2 in a nearby dog kennel that was headed to the local animal shelter as soon as I left.

Scooter had been kept alone in a dark room in a small cage with some seeds to eat and one cockatiel toy in the cage. I opened the kennel door and he hesitated before stepping up. I awkwardly began to preen some feathers in his crest, he lifted his wing slightly and I started to scratch. At this point he put his head on my shoulder and announced, "I wanna go home". I made an impulsive decision (I knew better). I was also foolish enough to believe that I might get him home before he escaped the cardboard box she put him in. wink

I researched M2s online and ordered in bird care books. Day three Scooter nailed my inner thigh, no blood, but one heck of a bruise. I figured something scared him? The next day he found his voice, Scooter threw a raging tantrum so loud the windows rattled.

I went looking for help and found this site. I cried off and on all night. If there is a common behavior problem, Scooter exhibited it to some degree. Statistics on rescued male M2s told me that if I gave up he might not have good options. Itís been three years. Eventually Scooter told me about what he has been through. I understand frustration, but kicking? a two pound bird?? He makes the sound of a small dog being kicked as well. Someone swung a broom or bat at him more than once. He still intermittently argues with himself in two voices. He probably heard it through a wall as most of it is unclear until the man clearly yells "Kill the F#@ing Bird!" then the woman screams, and you hear something thud. cry

Three years later, Scooter has been nick-named "Bird Brain" by my husband. He's my hormonal autistic toddler. wink He has the largest stainless cage I could fit in the house, with lots of large take apart and shred toys. I finally convinced him to eat pellets, but only the green bean and carrot pieces out of Zupreem veggie. He will now eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables if fresh, raw, and chopped into very large chunks. He will try to steal Cool Ranch Doritos if you aren't watching. He has a large stand in the living room and the office. He loves to get out taking to the park and other outings (he has a clear bird carrier and a flight line when we get there). He loves to imitate power tools. We have made a lot of progress. He gets loud regularly but hasnít had an ear shattering screaming fit in months. I havenít been bit in a year (and never bad enough to draw blood.) Right before the hormones kicked in he had grown back in most of his tail feathers and quite a few flight feathers. (SighÖspring.) There are still a few tail feathers left. Maybe by Christmas heíll be mostly feathered again. He leaves enough that he looks normal at first glance.

Scooter (Bird Brain) n Kim
BTW Bird Brain isn't an insult, it's a fact. It helps me remind my husband why he doesn't act like a domesticated pet.

Nothing is so strong as gentleness,
Nothing so gentle as real strength.

Saint Francis de Sales
#255315 - 04/11/14 05:46 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
What a story!! Thank you so much for not giving up on Scooter! He is blessed to have you and your husband caring for him now. You have found the best place on the planet for education and advice and support as you continue your journey with Scooter.
Welcome to MyToos!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#255317 - 04/11/14 09:22 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
I started having a battle of wills with the 'salt water' at ''I wanna go home''
When I got to 'Three years later...', the salt water won.
Scooter, you DID go home.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#255319 - 04/11/14 12:24 PM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
You rock!!

#255320 - 04/11/14 12:49 PM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
Wow! What a great story! I got choked up reading it. Scooter was very lucky you came along. God knows what the outcome of his life would,have been!

#255324 - 04/11/14 03:06 PM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Welcome to my good. Scooter is a lucky bird

#255326 - 04/11/14 05:37 PM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wow that was the best introductry post I've seen here in quite some time. Welcome to Mytoos to you, your husband and Scooter. And I agree with the others Scooter is a lucky boy to have gone home.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255336 - 04/12/14 02:43 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#255337 - 04/12/14 04:05 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Welcome, sounds like Scooter found a great home.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#255340 - 04/12/14 09:33 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
Rescue M2 Mom Offline
Rescue M2 Mom  Offline

Colorado
Thanks everyone.
I'm really trying to do the best I can for him, but I'm far from perfect. I adore him. Most of the time he's an angel, honest. But anyone who lives with one of these guys knows how frustrating they can be.

Kim

Nothing is so strong as gentleness,
Nothing so gentle as real strength.

Saint Francis de Sales
#255346 - 04/13/14 12:37 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Welcome to you and Scooter. Thank you for giving Scooter a chance at life, doesnt sound like he would have lasted too much longer, hes one lucky little guy. God bless!

#255349 - 04/13/14 12:52 AM Re: Accidental M2 mom [Re: Rescue M2 Mom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Great story. Reminds me of my time with my sweet boy Charley.
scooter has landed in the perfect home. Bless you and your husband for rescuing this fine fellow. Welcome to Mytoos.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny