Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255298 - 04/09/14 09:25 AM applying mytoos ideas to other needs.  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Went to a weavers' and spinners' guild meeting yesterday, and someone was talking about the huge amounts of "fluff" under her loom when she wove cotton. "Oh, I know how to deal with that!" I thought. . .and said. I then shared about cockatoo and cockatiel " dust", and the method of using a box fan and furnace filter to remove it from the air. Such a simple stroke of genius on Jerry's part (or was it one of the other "originals" who came up with that?) and it got a similar response to the one I had the first time I read it: a combination of astonishment at the ease of it, the simple elegance of the solution, and the fact that I hadn't thought of it before. I credited Jerry. Let's see how fast it spreads among fibre artists! It's a big health issue, actually.

Jody
#255301 - 04/09/14 02:41 PM Re: applying mytoos ideas to other needs. [Re: jm47]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
You know something Jody, you make such a good point here, definitely one worth thinking about. If we applied to general every day life things that we have been so fortunate to have been taught here, (possibly nothing more so than putting one's self in another living thing's position) and spread it far and wide, we'd be heading for a more compassionate world all round. I remember many years ago when I was fostering; I was on one of the courses about child safety, health, welfare etc, and I raised my hand in order to add my two-penny worth to the discussions. When I started my contribution with ''This actually is based on parrot care'' I was asked to please sit down save that for another day, as today wasn't about my birds. I countered in return that if they gave me a minute and didn't interrupt, they would find a direct link between parrot health and in particular infant health. Huffy expressions soon changed in to wide eyed surprise when I asked if they had any idea that ''just a couple of squirts of the very popular 'Febreze' could snuff out a large parrots life, even a room full of parrots lives, in minutes. FACT.'' Plug-ins, scented candles, so many of the much loved and widely used things that make our homes smell so clean and delightful all came under scrutiny. I asked how many of them had babies, just weeks old in their care, yet merrily filled those babies lungs with chemicals, chemicals that could, and had, and will sadly continue to kill even the strongest and healthiest of birds, large parrots. What were those same chemicals doing to the fragile lungs of tiny babies, of children..
I wasn't sneered at any more that day, and it did in fact become a part of future health and safety issues from that day on.
Thank you Jody for bringing this up!
Thank you Mytoos for enriching my knowledge and giving me the back-up to stand my ground and make people listen!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#255308 - 04/10/14 06:10 AM Re: applying mytoos ideas to other needs. [Re: jm47]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Lol The memory of weaving my wedding dress, 30 years ago, and the piles of lint under the loom (from the linen, which isn't nearly as "fuzzy" as cottonn, and a mental picture of what the filter looks like when you get the vacuum after it, didn't allow me to withhold the info; I just said, "Oh, I know how to deal with THAT!". Didn't mention that it was avian housekeeping strategy until after describing the system. Weavers are usually people with good visualization skills, and you could see them seeing how it worked, and planning to stop at Builders' Square on the way home.

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny