Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255122 - 03/22/14 03:35 PM Looking to upgrade M2 cage  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

I'm sure at least someone that will post here will have seen my intro post, if not, I'll give you a brief run down.

My M2's hatchdate was June 23, 2012, and he has a steady weight around 760, and has since I got him back in January, shortly after my 18th birthday.

The current cage I have for him is small, and he's only in it when I'm out of the house or sleeping, otherwise he goes everywhere in my flat with me. His current cage is 39-3/4" x 27" x 55-1/4" high with 1" bar spacing.

The cage I like the most as of right now is 46" L x 36" W x 63" H, with 1 3/8" bar spacing. Is this spacing too large? I cannot find a single, solid bar spacing for M2s.

Thank you!

Edit*

I really do not want to get another dome top cage. I have one now and I hate it. I am very short and if Finnegan gets on top of the dome, I cannot reach him. The macaw cage has a dome top as well. I was looking at a cage with a flat top (and a play top, but I wouldn't install it) that I think would be big enough.

This is the cage that I'm currently the most interested in. The (outer) dimensions are 76" height, by 48" length, by 36" depth for those of you that cannot open a link. The interior height is 50". I really like how big this door is, the only pain would be the shipping.

Thank you all again!

Last edited by Camber; 03/22/14 07:15 PM.

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."
#255128 - 03/23/14 12:23 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Camber I like the second one. I'm short as well and bought Cassie a macaw dome. I have a step stool in the room that I use when I have to get the little princess. I've never seen a cage with that wide a spacing.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 03/23/14 12:24 AM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255132 - 03/23/14 01:38 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

I'm waiting to hear back from BirdsComfort on the shipping cost. I'll be buying it this spring (the cage weighs twice as much as I do, and I really don't want delivery guys walking over lots of uneven ice trying to get it to my back door [front one is snowed in]) so I can have someone come help me get it upstairs to my bedroom. I'm hoping the shipping won't be on the higher end of the scale, but if it is, I'll just have to save up a bit more from my paychecks.

Like I said, I HATE my dome. I can't reach him, and I have a bad ankle that I still (still!) haven't learned how to balance with properly again. I'd topple right off of a stool... I generally just leave him up there until he decides to stop being angsty, then he generally comes down.

I don't think I'm going to put the playtop on, and I know the ladders would be too small for his feet anyways, nor would he use them. He'd probably just grab the dowel (which he hates) and just destroy it. Hey, I'd rather him destroy a cheap wooden dowel than say, the wood paneling on my walls. Plus, if I put it on... He either wouldn't stay up there, or he wouldn't want to come down. He's a buttface.

#255134 - 03/23/14 02:14 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Are you in the US or still in Ireland? If you are in the US check out some of the cages on Ebay they have some incredible deals and some come with really good shipping rates.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255136 - 03/23/14 02:34 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

US currently. Hardly. I live near the Canadian border. My boyfriend likes to call this place the North Pole because we hit -40F with ease and we had over 5 feet of snow at one time here... I had to pay $75 to get my driveway plowed so I could get out.

eBay is probably a good idea to check, yeah. I'll check that in a few. I actually got my first oboe from a Chinese place (I was very nervous about this), and it turned out to be perfect, so I shouldn't disregard any place on eBay completely. The thing is that the shipping would probably be just as much as it is from BirdsComfort.

Why is it so hard to find big cages that aren't dome tops or don't have giant playtops on them? Or cages that are wider and lengthier than they are high (Finnegan only uses like, the top half of his cage, unless he is trying to shred the newspaper under the grate)? It's a pain. That's why I like the AE cage so much, it's pretty wide and stuff, and it isn't overly tall without the playtop. I figure the bigger perimeter I can give him the better, because like I said, he doesn't use the entire thing.

#255137 - 03/23/14 03:16 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
IMHO (I have 3 m2's) I like the added inside dimensions of the dome tops and my m2's appreciate it as well. I had a play top style for my second m2 and she never used that area it was a complete waste for her. She is now in a dome top and she plays on the top more now than she did before. Because they are so destructive and need extra chewing and toys that extra space in the dome comes in sooo handy. I personally would not buy a play top for a large cockatoo. They are more for African greys etc that will stay in one spot and play and observe lol

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#255140 - 03/23/14 05:03 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

I wasn't going to even bother putting the play top on. He has two of those rolling trees (one of the one things he'll sit semi-still on), one upstairs and one downstairs. I've modified them to hang toys, so that's probably the only reason he sits on them. smile

The dome for me is a hassle, especially when Finnegan is being cranky. He gets up to the very top of it (on top of the cage itself) and looks down at me, puts his foot on my hand, and won't put his foot down until I pull my hand down. The cage I have now, the exterior height is 72 inches, and I'm 5'0 (hardly-- worst part is, I'm a dude), and he uses the height of his cage as an advantage. He KNOWS I can't reach him well.

If I could train him out of being a cranky little buttface, then I could probably just keep this cage (it is small, but he's only ever in it while I'm at work, out running, or sleeping), but I'm definitely not expecting that. Pretty sure that would take a miracle. Birds will be birds, especially big 'toos with big 'tudes. :P

#255142 - 03/23/14 06:54 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Two things pop into my head: you could rig up a long perch and stick train him (I did this with Monty using a broom handle and a thick dowel duct-taped at a 90 degree angle to get her off his places), or you could bribe him. Bribes work wonders with 'toos. Monty won't do anything I ask her unless she gets something out of it, especially if she's having a fit. That's when I bust out the walnuts. smile

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#255144 - 03/23/14 03:57 PM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

He might already be stick trained, I'll send his breeder an email. Sometimes he'll come down on his own if I move his tree over to him, but that's a rare occasion. Generally he likes going to bed. If he senses that it's that time, he starts making his clicky noise and saying something that sounds like "goodnight", he doesn't really talk a whole lot, but I think that might be because of his age.

I haven't tried walnuts with Finnegan yet. Brazil nuts, almonds (these frustrate him because they're generally too small for his feet-- he's gonna be a biiiig boy), and pistachios, which also frustrate him. I'll order him some walnuts on Wednesday (weekly DrsF&S order) when I re-order some of his favourite toys because he destroys them quite easily. I should start getting macaw toys... He seems to like the ropey toys the best, maybe because they're the easiest to shred. He likes shredding the paper in the bottom of his cage, so I try to keep some form of paper ball he can shred instead, but nooo... The poopy paper is muuuuch better, in his opinion.

#255164 - 03/24/14 04:16 PM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
kevinmc2013 Offline
kevinmc2013  Offline

I just upgraded my M2 to a 64 x 32 cage (the double door one), I got one for my U2 also, now they both have tons of room.

A friend of a friend had them both just sitting in his garage, one was in perfect condition, the other had a minimal rust issue on one of the inside doors that was taken care of relatively easily. My wife wasn't happy with adding two cages that size, but she was OK once she seen that the were both the same color (platinum).

One of the best investment I made for them.

#255176 - 03/25/14 12:12 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

Shipping for new cage will be $229. Damn rural areas.

$829 for the entire cage. Finnegan should hope that I don't have to take money out of his cage fund, because I torn the UCL in my thumb and broke the lower thumb bone, and the hand bone beneath my thumb. See my regular ortho tomorrow to see what happens next. My right hand is very much so needed to do my work (two actual jobs, and another one is a job but I don't consider it "work"), and so this kinda sucks.

If I don't have to take money from the cage fund, I'll have the money by next month, but won't be ordering it until the snow is gone. At this rate, it'll be July before that happens.

Thank you for your input. I'm excited about the new cage, not excited to drag it up a flight and half of stairs and try to set it up on my own.

#255177 - 03/25/14 12:42 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cam before you go spending $60 or more on toys make some yourself. We all save toy parts here to "remake" them. If Finn like to shred get him some coffee filters, cupcake papers, white parchment paper, white paper towels and rolls for adding machines. Also regular paper lunch bags. All of these are very cheap and take just minutes to get ready. White cotton string or untreated sisal string comes in very handy. You can make huge flowers from the coffee filters and cupcake papers. I take about 6-8 c. filters and inside of these I add about 4 cupcake papers poke two holes run some string through them crimp the bottom near the string and fluff the rest of it and attach to a cage bar. A few of these in the cage will keep him busy for a bit of time. I also will wind paper towels or adding machine paper through the bars for shredding.
The lunch bags you can fill with shredded paper and put a nut or treat inside the bag. I tie these to the top or sides of the cage. These take literally seconds to make.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 03/25/14 12:44 AM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255178 - 03/25/14 01:48 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
Camber Offline
Camber  Offline

Yes, I have lots of stuff that he could shred. I buy a lot of stuff that has the brown paper in it. I also have lots of tissue paper, like what you see in gift bags. Have lots of unused coffee filters (I got a new one, different size), I did not think of that. I'll try some of those tonight while I try to wrangle him back into his cage if he decides to act up. I sincerely hope that this ONE night he behaves properly. He's currently running around on my floor (vacuumed carpet) hunting down the peanut halves (unshelled) I've tossed for him to try and keep him busy while I elevate my hand. I made him a newspaper ball, which he pinned down with his foot and shredded in about 30 seconds. Just trying to wear him out so he sleeps.

I won't be making any toys until my hand is all good, I'm hopeless without my thumb. Thankfully, I'm left hand dominate, but still. At least I can type still. I have an artsy friend, maybe she'll find a few ways to put together his old toy spare parts.

In the meantime, I'm going to down some more vicodin (and hope that Finnegan doesn't see, or he'll want a 'treat' too), then I'll wrap some carrot chunks in some newspaper and make him find it since I really can't put anything together (wish me luck cutting the baby carrots in half).

#255198 - 03/26/14 03:04 PM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Popsicle sticks (sold at wally world in packs of a thousand) and tongue depressors, are lovely additions to a compost pile when a beak is done with them. A simple corrugated cardboard box, ditto, or a phone book or old magazine. . . The shiny paper is probably best avoided, but my guys prefer to shake things to pieces rather than chew, and shiny paper can go on the floor to catch projectiles, including feces.

Jody
#255687 - 06/06/14 11:05 PM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
bajarascal Offline
bajarascal  Offline

We are looking at different cage options as well for the M2 has recently taken over our home. We are looking at the Midwest Avian Adventures Grande Playtop
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/X-Large-Bi...-Bird-Cage.aspx
which will fit our home and lifestyle. Most of the day, Rosie is our of the cage, and this will be her "inside" house once I get the aviary built this summer.
The play-top seems like a good idea, giving Rosie more usable and livable space, as opposed to a dome-top. Alternatively, the play-top is removable so it can be set up elsewhere in the house.
Is there any reason to not go with this cage?

#255689 - 06/07/14 12:00 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
It's a nice cage. The price is good compared to other dealers. It says that you don't need tools to put it together. If this is the case you may find that you can't use the playtop anywhere else. I have one cage that the play top is what holds the cage together. It slides down onto the four sides securing them. Each of the sides interlock. Moving it is a pain because if I tip it backwards I have to be sure that I'm not holding the top because it will pull up and off.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255690 - 06/07/14 01:10 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
bajarascal Offline
bajarascal  Offline

Good point on the removal aspect. The youtube review that I found of this product line showed that there is a top grate that is the roof, which locks the cage together, then the play-top sits on top of that with it's own removable tray.
If it proves to be unstable, I can use some stainless steel brackets that I use in my work to bolt the darn thing together grin

I have looked around, and haven't come up with anything scary about toxicity, safety issues, etc, which were my biggest concerns. Is this a concern any longer, or is there enough regulation in the industry these days?

#255691 - 06/07/14 02:29 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
The weight is probably enough to hold it in place.
As far as regulations none that I am aware of. I try to find cages made in the US to avoid the possibility of lead.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255955 - 07/13/14 12:03 AM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
The finest toys, imo, may just be boxes. Try giving Finnegan the box in which his next toy is shipped; if he prefers the box to the toy, you are going to save big bucks! Our little guys like corrugated cardboard and thin flat cardboard about equally, and are very efficient at making it into mulch. I keep hoping to get into a place where I can garden again: a big pile of mulch (shredded cardboard, cage papers, veggie and fruit parings and rinds, and some rabbit or chicken manure) makes a great growing place for sweet potatoes, and both our birds like sweet potatoes about as well as I do!

Jody
#256149 - 08/05/14 02:01 PM Re: Looking to upgrade M2 cage [Re: Camber]  
bajarascal Offline
bajarascal  Offline

Update. We received our AE Grande Playtop yesterday afternoon. Assembly was a breeze, and the playtop is removable since the cage has a complete top. The way they fit the playtop ladders is poorly executed, but time will tell if I need to modify it for the long run. It was well packaged, and even though one corner of one box was damaged, the parts inside were not damaged at all. The casters seem OK, but just barely. We have all hard floors, so it rolls as well as it possibly can. I may end up changing them for a larger diameter, higher quality caster. It's nice to have the ability to roll onto the patio, at least until I complete the aviary.

Rosie has been in it and on it, but we moved her back to her old one for the night. She has an egg right now, so I didn't think it was a good time for a complete change. There were some nice double and even triple layered corrugated cardboard pieces inside the box, which have already been shredded smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny