Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254996 - 03/08/14 12:59 AM Can I have both a male and female?  
Nimily Offline
Nimily  Offline

Hello everyone!
I have an 8 year old female lesser sulfur crested cockatoo and an 11 year old African Grey. They don't like each other very much but don't fight either - they mostly just ignore each other.

We recently were approached by a friend of a friend who "just had a baby and needs to find a home for her cockatoo." You know, the usual excuse.

Anyways her cockatoo is a citron crested 17 year old male and he's precious. She has been trying to find him a home for 4 months now but she wants him to go to someone experienced, and she thought of me and my husband.

My question is this - I am open to adding another bird to our flock and it might even be good for our cockatoo to have another cockatoo she can be friends with. But is this a bad idea? I obviously don't want them to breed because there are too many homeless cockatoos out there as it is. So if I adopted this male and kept them in separate cages, do you think that would work? I want them to be friends but not necessarily mates.

I am home with our birds all day and they are only in their cages to sleep - otherwise they are hanging out on their perches with me. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Nimily; 03/08/14 12:59 AM.
#254998 - 03/08/14 03:56 AM Re: Can I have both a male and female? [Re: Nimily]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
You can have both. I would be very careful about their out of cage time though. They should definitely be housed separately as they are so close that they will try to breed and male and female will fight usually with severe to fatal results. As for their being out of cage time either different times or separate play perches.

#254999 - 03/08/14 04:12 AM Re: Can I have both a male and female? [Re: Elliott]  
Nimily Offline
Nimily  Offline

Oh wow... I did not realize that they would fight. I don't think that's a risk I am willing to take.

Thank you for your reply!

#255001 - 03/08/14 03:05 PM Re: Can I have both a male and female? [Re: Nimily]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Here's how un-predictable Toos can be.

Just this morning the 2 Toos realized each other. Usual routine is it turn on lights, open cages, start feeding. Kyu the U2 is playing in her papers. Tut the M2 is slowly waking up. I heard some rustling papers (more than normal) and I find Tut has left his cage (very odd) to find him on Kyu's cage and they are sparring thru the bars. What made this so odd is they have lived in the same room for 26 years. Thankfully all are ok.

Just proves that you can never really trust them unsupervised.

#255004 - 03/08/14 09:25 PM Re: Can I have both a male and female? [Re: Nimily]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I had 2 M2s, one male one female for almost 10 years. They had separate cages and spent most of the time out. While they were out either hubby or myself were in the room. They did not try to mate nor did they fight. They kept to their own space. It worked out very well. They have been in their new home for almost 2 years and all is going well. I have one caution though, my female, Sydnee, laid eggs each hormone season until I had her put on Lupron.
If you feel you can handle another one and are willing to take the extra steps, go for it. Give the little fella a home.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#255026 - 03/12/14 03:33 AM Re: Can I have both a male and female? [Re: Ladyhutch]  
Nimily Offline
Nimily  Offline

That is great to hear. I am open to letting them meet to see how it goes, but Crocky is my husband's BABY so I don't think he'd do anything that could even be potentially risky. It's hard to remember that not all cockatoos are as calm and sweet as Crocky. She has never bitten us, doesn't scream (except once a day for like 30 seconds), and is all around just a great bird. She IS very Velcro-ish though so I can imagine that there could be some jealousy issues if the male is the same way. My african grey is equally as unusual... he sits on my chest under my chin all day while I'm working and would probably live there if I didn't kick him off. LOL.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny