Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254184 - 12/10/13 07:16 PM How I communicate with my bird when away from home  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

I thought some of you might be interested in how I use an outdated laptop and smartphone to communicate with my M2, even when I'm away from home. I've searched the forums and I do not see this discussed so wanted to share.

Older laptops and Skype - I prepared an older laptop that had a built in camera with Skype which I have set to auto answer. (Do adjust settings so that Skype only auto answers from "known" contacts - I've been shocked by the number of messages my bird receives from strangers saying "you sound interesting - do you want to chat?") I have Skype on both my laptop and my Smartphone, so I'm able to call at any time and carry on a two way conversation. She can see and hear me, and I can see and hear her.

Older Smartphones and Presence - Presence is a free app that you can download from the Apple app store (not sure if its available yet for Android). It allows you to turn an unused iPhone or iTouch into a one or two way security cameras with sound and video. Set up Presence on both your bird's phone and your phone. On the bird's phone, launch Presence and make that phone the remote camera. You can then use your phone to call. You can just watch and listen, or you can activate your camera and have a two way call.

There's also a number of devices intended as baby monitoring devices that should work.

My bird really enjoys these calls from me and I'm happy to see all is well. Any others call home to talk to their cockatoo? Please share your tips!

#254188 - 12/10/13 08:32 PM Re: How I communicate with my bird when away from home [Re: Jaclyn]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Jaclyn thanks for the info. I was considering using Skype with Cassie for when we are away. I didn't relize that it could be set up automatically.
A heads up on the baby monitor cameras cost a fortune. There is a camera available to monitor the house that will do a complete circle remotely. A friend of ours has one and it's pretty cool. You can check inside your home or if it's set up in a window you can look in the yard as well from any computer or wifi link. It's very inexpensive too running only around $70. I'm sorry I have forgotten the name of it but if anyone is interested I can ask my friend for the brand name.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#254197 - 12/10/13 11:15 PM Re: How I communicate with my bird when away from home [Re: Jaclyn]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
The only thing I don't like about wireless cameras, is they are easily hacked. There was a story in the news awhile back where some pervert/child predator hacked into a wireless baby monitor and was talking with the child very improperly.

#254202 - 12/11/13 02:45 AM Re: How I communicate with my bird when away from home [Re: Jaclyn]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Ive actually purchased a set of wireless cameras but we cant get them to work, I think we may need to move the router closer. If anyone wants to hack into mine they better mute the sound because the amazon will not let anyone get a word in edge wise, in between the blood curdling screams,a fabulous rendition of Jesus loves me and an extremely long barrage of show tunes, I cant imagine anyone staying on my frequency. Maybe it would wear him out and when I come home he'd be tired? hummmm...

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny