Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254032 - 12/02/13 12:59 AM new flooring - cockatoo resistant?  
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 76
christina0001 Offline
Member
christina0001  Offline
Member

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 76
MO
Hello all. DH and I plan on replacing our living room carpet in late winter/early spring. We're leaning towards a laminate wood (based on some great feedback here from those who have it!). My M2 is 80% trained to go to her cage when she makes a dropping. My concern is the other 20% of the time. If she makes a dropping on the laminate floor, will it discolor it? Are there certain types/brands that are more "cockatoo resistant?"

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by christina0001; 12/02/13 01:01 AM.
#254034 - 12/02/13 03:41 AM Re: new flooring - cockatoo resistant? [Re: christina0001]  
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 192
birdladyofbarton Offline
Member
birdladyofbarton  Offline
Member

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 192
winston salem nc
I have had hardwood and tile and carpet and laminate I use diluted simple green for all spray it on wait a few minutes, if thick and dried on use a scrubby/tooth brush, then warm water to wipe up, no stains or problems even on the wood!just make sure IF they use Glue that the bird is away from the fumes, fumes are very dangerous. the only thing I didn't like about laminate was it looked dull/dusty, and was way slippery for my dogs!

#254035 - 12/02/13 09:43 AM Re: new flooring - cockatoo resistant? [Re: christina0001]  
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,568
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,568
Oregon
I put in laminate because of the birds. I have never had a problem with it staining or looking dull. I used grape seed extract for all cleaning when the birds lived here.


You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani


#254037 - 12/02/13 04:33 PM Re: new flooring - cockatoo resistant? [Re: christina0001]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 149
Luvbirds Offline
Member
Luvbirds  Offline
Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 149
Hot water and vinegar work wonders as well!


Nothing is as beautiful as the eyes of a Too

Member of the Flock of "Al"adeen U2
#254181 - 12/10/13 07:04 PM Re: new flooring - cockatoo resistant? [Re: christina0001]  
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Jaclyn Offline
New Member
Jaclyn  Offline
New Member

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
I recently did an extensive remodel of my bird's room. The floor was carpet, and pretty impossible to keep clean. I did quite a bit of research, and ended up with choosing between tile and laminate flooring.

I have tile in my sunroom (bird has also lived there) so I knew it would be easiest to clean. It is okay to use wet solutions to clean. However, it is also expensive, cold and hard.

I ended up installing a snap together laminate flooring a few months ago. It has been easy to clean, a little softer, not as cold and much less expensive. I wouldn't recommend it if your birds leave puddles of water (either tossing water bowls or bathing). Otherwise, I have been very happy with mine. We installed it ourselves (it took about 3 afternoons).


Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.027s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 4.9915 MB (Peak: 5.3283 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-04-24 04:14:01 UTC