Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253976 - 11/25/13 08:44 AM Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures?  
punchstudent1 Offline
punchstudent1  Offline

After purchasing my 1st companion bird , I decided 2 purchase a very young hand fed LSC2 that was not purchased by the time it was 5months old. I decided after building a bond w/ the bird that I would take it home. The bird is EXTREMELY sweet but , everything I have ever read tells me that my sweet baby will be a pushy, biting, high- maintenance nightmare. I don't believe this 2 b true, the breeder I purchased her from insists that if I don't spoil her from the beginning & be consistent on how things will b she will not turn into a nightmare.
1st question is , is this theory true about consistency? Is there any advise about raising these types of birds without problems later & 2ndly what behaviors should I just expect from these very high maintenance birds?

#253977 - 11/25/13 11:54 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
Quote:
The bird is EXTREMELY sweet but , everything I have ever read tells me that my sweet baby will be a pushy, biting, high- maintenance nightmare. I don't believe this 2 b true, the breeder I purchased her from insists that if I don't spoil her from the beginning & be consistent on how things will b she will not turn into a nightmare.

Since the breeder told you this why aren't you working with the breeder in how to raise her? Since you gave your money to the breeder for this cockatoo why isn't the breeder mentoring you or providing you with written material on how to not spoil her from the beginning?

You dare to post this which is rude as there is an agenda here Mytoos Agenda and then you disagree with the philosophy of this message board which is a debate and then you want help from us, WISDOM from us
Quote:
Is there any advise about raising these types of birds without problems later & 2ndly what behaviors should I just expect from these very high maintenance birds?

WHY AREN'T YOU ASKING THIS TO THE BREEDER!!! ???

Seems to me the person having sold you this cockatoo should be the one mentoring you for the next 10 years of how to raise it to be a perfect cockatoo that never bites, talks, never screams and is just a living stuffed animal.

Since you take the word of a breeder over the wisdom of tens of thousands here having lived with Toos for decades and some even 50 years, really, honestly, Why are you not working with the breeder having sold you this bird and telling you not to spoil her and be consistent from the beginning?

Ask the breeder if you can call or email each day and ask questions and have an ongoing for months to years dialogue and mentoring relationship. Seriously, why are you asking advice here and not from the breeder? Since the breeder already told you what to do?

Quote:
I don't believe this 2 b true

Then WHY are you here? Do you plan on educating us as to why we are wrong and the breeder is correct?

Also we don't permit the use of inappropriate abbreviations here as you use the number 2 for the word to. Language Warning and Rules

You need to spend a great many hours reading here. I suggest starting with the Cockatoo Forums and read Behavior and Behavior Problems at great length and General Cockatoo Discussion at great length. Don't just skim over this, rather read for a great many hours under each and actually read for real. You should also use the Search feature as needed.

It's all here. All you have to do is read and do a little digging to find anything specific you want to read about. It won't happen overnight or in a day or even a week. If you want to learn it's going to take time as there isn't any crash course here as in just a couple hours reading and you 'get it'.

Also if you do not already have a qualified, experienced avian veterinarian get one now before your birds need one. Have your birds examined what is called a 'well bird exam' or a 'new bird exam'.

If you do not already have a large parrot first aid kit with instructional DVD or book or both get one now. Then read and watch and learn how to handle the most common issues yourself at home so your bird doesn't die before you can get it to the vet.

If you do not already have travel cages for your birds get them now.

If you have not already watched a superior nature documentary about cockatoos and parrots as pets having recently aired on PBS please do and you can watch it online for free.

Parrot Confidential - PBS

I know face to face a few people having made substantial monetary contributions to PBS Nature to help keep this vital documentary free to watch online so do yourself and your parrots both a favor and watch it if you have not already done so.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to Mytoos! smile

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#254006 - 11/27/13 05:17 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
punchstudent1 Offline
punchstudent1  Offline

1st of all thank u for the advise...
I think?!
I did not just stumble upon this website or forum, I have been researching endlessly, looking for ANY INFO that I possibly find.
I am not looking for a stuffed animal or I would have gotten a
A hamster. My breeder has been a friend & a wealth of knowledge up 2 this point but I realize I need more info than she has @ her disposal, so I am here asking ignorant questions because I would like 2 b enlightened, so in the future it would b beneficial if u saved the angry part of ur diatribe for those who deserve it.
Now that I got that out of the way, I appreciate the resources. I will hit the books & watch the specials that u pointed out . That is basically all I am asking for.
My babies & I thank u. Haha!
Have a good evening.

#254007 - 11/27/13 05:48 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Please use proper English. Thanks.

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#254008 - 11/27/13 10:58 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

This is an excellent article written by a member here and was published in a magazine.

Living With a Cockatoo

We have some real talent here for sure. People with a great deal of knowledge and experience in areas of behavior, diet, housing, handling, first aid and much more.

The biggest obstacle for anyone new to cockatoos and all parrots is to not anthropomorphize them. If anyone can get over this huge and common error in thinking about any parrot then this entire message board will make perfect sense and the learning will be enhanced, faster and not cause distress or inner (self) debate.

Anthropomorphism is deadly to parrots. It's why people buy them and breed them and it's the first thing anyone with any parrot, be it a cockatoo or a budgie, must stop doing. In order to actually do the best a human can do for these poor creatures unfortunate enough to have been hatched and handfed in captivity and sold off by selfish breeders and purchased by uninformed buyers the second thing to learn is that even under the very best of circumstances in captivity these birds have only at best a pale, weak shadow of a life which results in all those behaviors which we then label as 'problematic'.

There are not any problematic parrots only birds living in a very unnatrual environment with an assigned value placed on them to be a 'pet' which they cannot be.

If anyone wants to learn how to be a zookeeper (which is really what a good guardian to a cockatoo is) the 'pet' mentality has to be stopped and natural birdsmanship mentality started. The 'pet' mentality does two bad things by setting up unrealistic expectations of the cockatoo and then disappointment in the cockatoo for not living up to the expectations. The parrot is found 'guilty' of both counts and pays the price with a sentence of life in prison having been labeled a problem parrot.

If you want to raise this cockatoo and learn about natural birdsmanship this is the only free, online, public forum promoting it for cockatoos and parrots. The entire site promotes natural birdsmanship for those cockatoos and parrots unfortuante enough to be stuck in captivity. That's why we don't have a forum for pictures of parrots in costumes or clothing (yuck) or a forum each October for the best parrot's halloween costume (yuck) as some other parrot message board do as they are not pets. They are captive wildlife.

If you learn to work with and accomodate your parrot's instincts it's the best approach for the parrot and you. You need to learn alot, simply put - and all anyone can really do is to just ease in here taking some time each day to read, read and read and then think and do and in time it clicks.

Also, knock off the text typing if you want to be taken seriously here. It's not appreciated and you've been told and shown the rules so either follow the rules and develop some mentors here or not, it's your choice. I'd suggest if you want to have some kind of dialogue here either ongoing or on and off you correct your posts to reflect your having read and understood the rules posted to you.

A ship can only have one captain. I'm not the captain of this ship and it makes not any difference if you or I like or dislike any of the rules or not but we have to follow them if we want to stay onboard and afloat. smile

Read, read more and ask. smile

#254009 - 11/27/13 11:22 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
punchstudent1 Offline
punchstudent1  Offline

Thank you, your words and advise has been taken and appreciated.
I am but a willing and eager student looking to enlighten myself on the task that I am embarking on. I take my responsibilities to these majestic creatures very seriously.
I watched the PBS , I found it amazing & sad.
I'll read the article you suggested.
Thanks.

#254010 - 11/27/13 02:20 PM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I've been a cockatoo servant for 25+ years now and I'm still learning new stuff daily.

Knowing what's ahead....well you'll just have to be prepared. There is no way to know what is going on in their head at that moment.

The Umbrella cockatoo that owns me is like that. Lately she has taken to try to eat my shoe. After 25 years this is a new quirk of hers.

The only thing to expect is the unknown.

Hopefully you won't be scared off from here and stick around to learn as much as everyone is willing to give.

Use the search feature and ask questions.

#254011 - 11/27/13 06:11 PM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
punchstudent1 Offline
punchstudent1  Offline

I am not easily scared off by a little tough talk and a lot of hard work . I will admit that I had no idea what I was in for when I invested in my new family members. I also have to admit that I an computer illiterate, everyone keeps speaking about the search engine but I don't quite understand how it works. Can someone put it in very simple , short terms on what this means , when people speak of how great the search engine is?

#254012 - 11/27/13 06:21 PM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
At the top of the page is the search feature. Type in a couple of words and hit go and see what comes up.

#254013 - 11/27/13 07:17 PM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

punchstudent1,

You are on a mission to find out how to keep your Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoos from screaming and biting for sure. This is good of you.

You are on a mission! With the goal of finding out how to keep your baby cockatoos from sceaming and biting. Good for you! smile You are wanting to DIG and read, good for you! smile I appreciate your effort and I'll try to give you a very simple, basic, plain 'pep talk'.

Some people come here and want to be spoon fed but not you as you want to learn to use the search engine. This is great and how it should be. You have to DIG and read and read and read. Good for you. You gotta get busy here and you will soon master the search engine. You landed on the right perch here.

Your cockatoos are still very young and now is the time to build trust between you and them and to interact with them daily. A regular routine for feeding, handling and sleeping is good for them as it builds trust between you and your cockatoos. They know what to expect and when to expect it. They know you as steady and loving and kind. They need to have this trust in you and your loving care of them to trust you later in life when they grow up more and start to scream - vocalize - and get hormonal and nip and bite at you due to growing up.

If you build trust with them now while they are babies they will be easier to work with and train later when they become teenagers! What you do now in building trust and having a good routine and schedule proves to them you are dependable and worthy of trust and this is good. It makes the terrible teens much easier with a cockatoo that has trust in you.

Building trust and being a good and dependable and predictable human to your cockatoos is the goal right now. A regular schedule or routine is good for you both right now so work on this. They need love and patience and I know you'll give them tons of both.

Cockatoos are hard to learn but you can learn about cockatoos. You are learning alot right now just by reading this post and the post of all the members here. What Elliott posted is excellent as is usual for Elliott and the long time members here and I learn from them all the time.

They need a routine - a regular bed time and a regular wake up time. This helps them and you both. They need at least 10 hours of sleep each night maybe even 12. They are young and may want a nap during the day also. A nap is good for them in the afternoon as young cockatoos.

Cockatoos wake up with the sun up and go to sleep in the evening at sun down. They have a need to vocalize, scream, when they wake up as to say Good Morning, I'm here, it's me! I'm alive! and I want you around me! and a need to vocalize, scream when they are getting ready to go to bed sun down to say Goodnight! Sleep Well! You're Ok and I'm Ok. This is natural. Because they are young they are not yet fully adult and are still quiet babies right now.

If you give them plenty of nice toys they are happy and it keeps them busy. Cockatoos like to be kept busy with lots of toys in the cage. Bird safe toys are good to buy and you must have some in the cage so they don't get bored. They like all kinds of toys online for cockatoos and large parrots. They need safe toys as much as they need food, water and your love.

The food should be what they were eating when you got them. If you got them eating pellets buy the same pellets. If you got them eating seed mix buy the same seed mix. You can give them green beans, peas, mixed vegetables, apple, pieces of toast, cooked soft brown rice, cooked oatmeal and more. Just don't feed them avacodo, candy, meat, chocolate or junk food. Nuts from the pet store for parrots are fine and make nice treats. Nutriberries and Avicakes are nice foods also and are a fun treat. There is much here about diet to read.

They are still young and the best thing to do is to just love them right now. Build trust in them. Show them you care for them by caring for them. They need to see you as steady, on time and good. A regular time in the morning for feeding them breakfast is good and a regular time in the evening to feed them supper is good. Keep pellets and seed mix for them in the cage all the time but give them fresh pellets and seed mix each day for breakfast along with other foods like above at breakfast and evening supper.

Handle them and say to them 'step up' when they perch on your hand or arm. Tell them 'good bird' when they do. Always say to them 'step up' when they perch on your hand and arm. This builds a trust bond for both of you. Don't start bad habits now with allowing them to perch on your shoulder. They may all on their own go to your shoulder. This gives them dominance over you due to the height and this is cute when they are babies and young but it's not safe with a teenage and adult hormonal cockatoo as they can and have and do bite lips, ears, back of neck, eyes.

A video of a serious bite that came close to eye when a man made a mistake handling a hormonal adult cockatoo.

Cockatoo Bite on Face Above Eye

Build trust by letting them see you do all the things you do each day in your home. Cleaning the floors, bringing in food and placing in the kitchen shelves, exercising, just walking around your home. Let them see you when in their cage doing all that you do in your home.

When they are out of the cage make sure you watch them so they don't break anything or eat anything like furniture or books or magazines. They don't know that the remote control buttons are not food! They are babies right now. So watch them good if you let them out of cage to walk around.

Just post any questions you have and we will answer as best we can.

Try to find the time to read the article I posted above, Living With a Cockatoo It's a long read but give it your best shot! smile

#254015 - 11/28/13 03:11 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Re: The "search" function. Click on "advanced". Change the date to newer than 10 years (or some such thing) to get the most information. Our default setting is good for finding something you read recently, but lots of information is as old as time. Sigh. Be sure to explore the Mytoos website itself. It is as enlightening as the PBS documentary. By the way, the documentary doesn't even scratch the surface of the problem. If it did, it would be too horrific to watch, and that would do no good, I suppose. Get your breeder friend to watch it also. Perhaps they will start to grow a conscience. Good luck keeping your new baby from becoming another statistic in this lousy war*.

P.S. * War against the very nature of the birds. War against ignorance... you name it. War against reality.

Last edited by Birdfriend; 11/28/13 04:13 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#254019 - 11/28/13 08:45 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
punchstudent1 Offline
punchstudent1  Offline

Thank you for the pep talk & understanding my struggle to find quality info. I will get to know the search engine. I have learned a lot in a short amount of time , but your advise answered my questions.
I appreciate the wealth of experience & knowledge that is contained on this website. I only wonder how many birds were not helped because of the aggressive & stand offish nature of some of the people with that knowledge. Fortunately I realize it is just people who are very passionate about what they believe in & I have a lot of respect for that passion so it does not scare me off. I acknowledge my ignorance and strive to know more.
Thank you all for the information.

#254020 - 11/28/13 08:56 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
punchstudent1 Offline
punchstudent1  Offline

Bird friend , I completely agree. I will introduce the PBS video to her.
I have spent the last 2 days reading everything everyone has suggested. After all I have found, I almost wish I would have never gotten the birds , being part of the problem. Yet I realize I have a responsibility to save my 3 babies from being a stat. Also a responsibility to help other ignorant people from just buying a bird just cause they want a cute pet that talks.
I am forever affected by my enlightenment.

#254023 - 11/29/13 09:49 AM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
See, you are becoming as passionate as the rest of us!!! Welcome to Mytoos!

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#254026 - 11/29/13 06:55 PM Re: Advise on what 2 expect as my LSC2 matures? [Re: punchstudent1]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Good for you! I wish you luck with your babies, and we'll be here for you. smile

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny