Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253924 - 11/18/13 10:31 PM Could you give your parrot back to the wild?  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
If it was possible to release your parrot into it's native habitat with a guarantee of the native habitat not being encroached by poachers or trappers and a guarantee of your parrot acclimating successfully to life in the wild would you do it? This also implies that your parrot has been worked with for months in the care of wildlife rehabilitation experts having decades of experience in preparing domestic hatch handfed parrots for this express purpose. Your parrot passed this intense preparation with straight A's also.

Would you permit your parrot to live in it's native land? Would you give up your parrot to live in it's native land? Special needs and senior parrots are exempt from this question. Also, you cannot get another parrot and must live the rest of your life without any pet birds of any species.

#253925 - 11/18/13 10:46 PM Re: Could you give your parrot back to the wild? [Re: JackieBoy]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
If the opportunity presented itself and she passed, yes, in a heartbeat. I love my girl dearly, but this isn't where she belongs. If we are to have animals in our lives, let they be domesticated breeds designed for companionship, not wild animals ripped from their homes or born into captivity to serve our selfish tendencies.

That being said, I don't think I'd be capable of actively searching for such an opportunity. Monty has become my reason to get up each morning, and I'll cling to that for as long as possible.

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#253926 - 11/19/13 02:20 AM Re: Could you give your parrot back to the wild? [Re: JackieBoy]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Absolutely, but a dream is a dream.

#253934 - 11/19/13 04:54 AM Re: Could you give your parrot back to the wild? [Re: JackieBoy]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
If Charley and Sydney still lived here, I would do everything in my power to do what you suggest. I imagine the majority of bird caregivers would do it. What a wonderful dream!!

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#253964 - 11/24/13 01:45 AM Re: Could you give your parrot back to the wild? [Re: JackieBoy]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Yes. I often look at them and wonder, do you miss YOUR family, do you miss being with YOUR own species, and sometimes they look quietly back at me with those beautiful eyes and I believe they are saying yes, of course we do. Its sad for me to see them in cages, they do not belong in a cage in a living room, not what God intended, they are victims of man's greed, so yes,I would. I would miss them but I would also be happy for their freedom.

#253969 - 11/25/13 12:07 AM Re: Could you give your parrot back to the wild? [Re: JackieBoy]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Yes, if they would go. And then I would do all I could to protect the area from predators, especially human predators, as long as I could.

I shoul add that my birds have both had opportunities to escape, and both yelled at me to get out there & help them get back!

Jody
#253975 - 11/25/13 04:24 AM Re: Could you give your parrot back to the wild? [Re: JackieBoy]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Absolutely.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny