Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253694 - 10/26/13 05:56 AM What to do  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Dont want to admit it, skinny girl had a heart attack. Been almost a month since I went to the hospital and it actually had happened at least two week before then. Angelina seemed to adjust to my not being with her as much. Vada the macaw is a total bitch, biting and nipping. They are used to alot of out of cage time and obviously have not got it in the last month. I dont know how to start over. Its like all the progress I make with Vada, who was always very difficult is gone. I also have to say, having a problem with low blood pressure now 70/40, which is almost passing out, so time is limited until I get well. Just feeling sorry for myself tonight guys, sorry. Cages arent as clean as I usually keep them. Birds arent getting enough time and everything just seems off

#253712 - 10/26/13 02:30 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cages will wait, birds will accept and return to normal once you are. The most important thing is that you take care of yourself and get well. Can you get someone to come in and give you a hand cleaning the cages or maybe giving the birds some out of cage time each day. Maybe you could give a vet school or vet tec school a call to see if there is a student interested in volunteering getting hands on experience with large birds. The person could come over and meet you and the birds maybe with one of the instructors from the school.
Get better soon.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253714 - 10/26/13 05:51 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Get well soon and be easy on yourself.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#253716 - 10/26/13 07:13 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
MenomaMinx Offline
MenomaMinx  Offline

speaking as a frequent flyer on the not able to get out of bed/wheelchair list, I've been able to make this work with up to five birds at a time {although granted, there's only the one now}.

Before I get into it though, check your insurance to see if they cover home health aide while you recover. Mine does, so I get help with cages and other things. It doesn't have to be a permanent disability to qualify for home health aide just that you're incapable of doing your normal day-to-day activities by yourself. If they refuse, there's an appeals process. It's usually just a form, so no loss but a few minutes of your time if they reject you for the service.

Also, as someone who's always had naturally low blood pressure {and has passed out from it many times}, at times ER will not give me medication until they can raise it and their first resort is usually to have me drink a whole bunch of water. Strangely enough, it does seem to work. It just seems to take forever when the medication involved is pain medication.

If I recall right,Vada's your blue and gold? This is one of the species I know can co-conspire with other birds from personal experience. Think of them as oversized cute ringleaders, who never get blamed because they're cute. If the other bird's not cooperating, that's part of the crankiness right there not all your fault, and probably to your advantage depending on what the bird was planning ;-)

Back to the frequent flyer remedies: either move the birds where you are or move yourself to the birds. Considering the sizes involved, the later is probably going to be the better option. If you need to lay down, and don't own a blowup bed, full-length cheap lawn chairs work if you add some pillows/cushions as needed. Yeah, you're still going to be annoyed by the cages' being out of sorts; but try to remember that you're not going to spot clean every single time a bird poops or throws food anyway even if you are perfectly healthy. The birds will get this. What they won't get is being left alone, so find a place to veg out in view of the birds' cages like I suggested if possible. Other than talking to them and food/water refilling, birds generally get the concept of a sick flock member even when the flock member's human.

You do still remember that you're only human? Right ;-)

~I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 voice recognition software to type~
#253717 - 10/26/13 07:41 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
So sorry to hear this but relieved to hear that you are on the mend. Please don't be hard on yourself. Your flock will work with you and you with them. Hang in there and take good care of yourself first! smile

#253718 - 10/26/13 07:58 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
I'm very sorry about all of this and wish you the best. Please heal and recover fast.

The past year I take a weekly infusion for a serious blood disorder. I have gone through a guilt of not being able to do everything for my small flock of cockatiels as I have done for the past 22 years. But I had to remember for me, in my situation that some of what I did for them was more so for me and not for them.

The cages for over two decades got papers pulled daily and the cages with grates for birds needing bottom crates got done at least twice a week although I knocked the poop off each day before changing papers. They were also out most of the afternoon each day seven days a week and liked to fly from cage to cage and to jungle gyms and back. They also often had their supper out of cage. I wasn't big on heat and serve foods always making my own for them. Now I use Roudybush soak and serve and bought it buy the case. They love it and it's good food. Easy for me too.

I also replaced those large macaw size cages with the pans and grates near the floor but so heavy to move even on casters with small bird flight cages the same size except the pans are plastic and up a couple feet with grates being lighter too. So much easier now that I don't have to get down on my knees or stoop way over to pull out those heavy metal pans and grates. I also ordered these small bird flights with extra pans and grates so I can replace right away and take my time on cleaning/changing papers and then they are ready to go again next day.

They are out each day but not all afternoon. I went to only one jungle gym as they don't care if there is one or three as flying back and forth is flying and I had three for me not for them.

My tiels haven't suffered at all. I just had to figure out how to make things easier on me but still give them the care they need and deserve. I had to compromise with myself.

Also sometimes a long term friend and neighbor helps me by doing grates soak,wash,rinse and dry which is a huge help. Cages can wait if need be. I also had to learn this and not get myself all worked up. I do cages comletely the morning of my infusion as I know that the next day I'm not going to be able to do it. Missing a day once a week I had to learn isn't being dirty.

Not being out 4-6 hours each day anymore,rather one hour each day isn't abuse. They only flew around on and off for the first 20 minutes each day when they were out all afternoon anyway and then perched and roosted on jungle gyms or even back into the open door cage. So now they do just as they did before with flying but just are back in the cage soon after the flying is over and done.

Ask people you trust to help you out with the bird cages. It's not any different than asking someone to walk and potty the dog when you're not well. Most friends are happy to give a hand when someone is not doing well.

I hope you get better soon. We are only human for sure.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#253724 - 10/26/13 10:26 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Don't be hard on yourself, this kind of thing can and does happen to anyone. Although you may feel a huge setback with Vada, it might not be as big as you think. As most know, our birds sense our emotions. Hoping you get better soon.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#253725 - 10/27/13 06:10 AM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Sorry to hear you have been ill. As said before, do not beat yourself up. The birds will adapt. I worried about my birds when my lung condition became bad. Not as much out of cage time and less one on one time with Mama. My guys seemed to understand.
Vada will come around in time. Take care of yourself and work at getting well. We all get to feeling sorry for ourselves at times. We are here for you. (((HUGS)))
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#253750 - 10/30/13 10:01 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
Barbzeee Offline
Barbzeee  Offline

I'm so sorry to read this and I do know from being Not well myself that we tend to go very hard on ourselves..please take care of you. And you got some very good advise from others. Take it slow your babies will do ok. I have major issues myself and my sweetie seems to sense it and adjust to days she can only be out a short time..I do have her in the living room and talk with her and that she accepts..I will keep you in my prayers to get to healing. God bless

#253760 - 11/02/13 02:32 PM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
From these posts, it seems that we are (oh, no) aging. It's been a struggle for us, these past few years, adjusting to my progressive loss of energy & stamina. Boys get less time out of cage, have to wake me sometimes, or remind me to do stuff like cover cages at night. (Phred is getting older, too, but is still very capable of hollering, "COVER UP! NIGHT-NIGHT" at adequate wake-the-lazy volume). I didn't promise them continuous service, just a stable flock. We get by, and although we strive for cleanliness, things do take longer these days.
Part of what wears me out is beating myself up about having to adjust in this way: if I spend all my energy worrying about the difficulties, the basics are going to suffer, but if I decide, "Today, I can feed & water, and bathe birds, and tomorrow after feeding, clean the cages", then it will be possible. Just the stretching I have to do to maintain mobility is time-consuming, but it's better to do it than have to moan & groan all day!

Jody
#253767 - 11/03/13 11:19 AM Re: What to do [Re: angelinasmom]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Thanks to everyone for the advice and just for keeping me company when Im feeling down. I think I went back to work a little too soon and that probably resulted in much of my problems. I just didnt have enough energy to do everything that needed to be done. I am spending time with them, more in cage than out, but they do seem to be accepting it. Although the other night when I did have energy to let them have play time, Vada came out and then went right back in her cage. that made me sad. She is my crazy bird that loves nothing more than to be out roaming around. Jody, I agree, aging is a problem. When I got Angelina I was in my mid forties and you really dont feel much difference from you thirties. Unfortunately, from forty to fifty, there is a huge difference in energy levels. Thanks again everyone for the advice. I appreciate each and every one of you

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny