Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 70 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#250894 - 02/24/13 11:17 PM Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics)  
M2Tiki Offline
M2Tiki  Offline

Las Veags, NV
Hi everyone! My name is Stacey and I live in Las Vegas, NV. (I know it says "keep it short" but brevity is not my strong point... sorry in advance!)

I am in the process of adopting an M2 named Tiki from a local sanctuary. I have been a weekly volunteer at the sanctuary for about a year and a half. When I started volunteering I had no intent on adopting, but as it's told- Tiki chose me and I'm forever smitten.

About me: I'm a local pet sitter and own and operate my own business. Animals are my true passion and working with them is a dream. I have a very deep empathy for all things living... a blessing and a curse.

How I met Tiki: As stated above, I've been volunteering at a local sanctuary for awhile now. I work in the small to medium sized parrot room each Monday, cleaning, feeding and giving them the individual attention and play time they so desperately need.

One day, several months ago, there was a very shy and very sad looking M2 in the corner. As you can see from his photos (I'll include below)he is a severe plucker. When I saw him my heart broke and I felt very connected immediately.

They moved him into the small parrot room because of his appearance. Poor guy. Each visit I would "chat" with him with whistles and tongue clicks and was sure to only approach with one eye (non-threatening to a parrot)... he responded well! We became friends quickly. Tiki had never let anyone handle him prior to me... my heart was/is his.

I looked through his file, and sadly, the office was not very detailed in information collection and found very little on him. Age, sex, etc are all speculative at this point until I bring him home and get him to an avian vet.

Hubby and I have been approved to adopt him and I have been diligently and almost freakishly reading and preparing for our new kind-of-feathered life mate. We are thrilled!

Hubby: My husband was raised around many large parrots, including cockatoos. Sadly, they were his ex-step fathers and their fate is unknown. Probably part of the problem and not the solution, sadly.

This website has been an amazing source of information, reality checks and many giggles when I read about your lovely feathered friends silly antics. I send a HUGE thank you to you all.

We have not brought Tiki home yet. We just purchased a new home with a 1/2 acre (unheard of in Las Vegas) and we are painting and doing some renovations so I am waiting for any toxicities to dissipate before bringing him home.

We are ready for him though! He has an enormous cage, play gym and a toy basket that our friends children can't seem to keep out of.

I anticipate we will be bringing him home in 2-3 weeks and I'm sure I will participate on this forum more once that happens. smile

Thank you for letting me introduce myself and I'm looking forward to being a part of this amazing community.

Pics below (disclosure)- I realize he has a severe look to him, but I think he is beautiful. I will bring him to the vet immediately once he's with us and will do everything to give him the healthiest and happiest life possible. Hubby and I eat a vegetarian, organic diet, so he will be getting beautiful, colorful meals to improve his insides. If it helps his outward appearance, great, but we will love him either way. If his plucking is because of something diet related it will be our first priority to remedy that. I only hope that he will know the joy of flying again one day.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/leighbee77/TikiTiks.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/leighbee77/9c845589-f0ab-4b71-882c-a2d8d107c0b6.jpg

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 02/25/13 11:20 AM. Reason: Links only to pics
#250896 - 02/24/13 11:53 PM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
cecileg Offline
cecileg  Offline

Norway
Welcome (from one newbie to another:-))! I think he looks gorgeous. How old is he? I`m so glad you`re giving him a home, a safe place is probably what he need. I`ve had my lesser sulphurea for about 6 years (he is seven), and I`m doing my best to prevent him from starting to pluck his feathers. I`ve seen the signs already (because of puberty)that he might start, although he is still fully feathered...
This forum is agreat source of info smile

#250898 - 02/25/13 12:08 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
M2Tiki Offline
M2Tiki  Offline

Las Veags, NV
Hi! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and reply!!! My first friend. smile Welcome to the forum too!!!

We're not sure how old he is. He has been at the sanctuary for at least 4 years but I only know that because another sanctuary (Best Friends) used to visit and they left paperwork with suggestions to help him. There is no information about taking him in or where he came from. Unreal, I know.

He has an open, rounded band which makes us think he could be wild caught frown So, that would make his age much older.

Your picture is fantastic! Looks like you have a very happy bird! smile I look forward to having Tiki 6 years from now, like you. They're amazing creatures, huh?

I hope your guy doesn't start plucking... it's heart breaking to watch. I've noticed that giving Tiki TONS of pine cones and weaving ripped paper through the bars of his cage has helped. He really doesn't pluck if he has something to destroy. He also loves sisal rope! He will preen it for hours. I know they're all different though. smile

#250899 - 02/25/13 12:20 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Welcome.

#250900 - 02/25/13 12:35 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: Elliott]  
M2Tiki Offline
M2Tiki  Offline

Las Veags, NV
Thank you so much. smile

#250902 - 02/25/13 01:54 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Welcome M2Tiki to our site.
Your bird is beautiful. I have a thing for M2s. Used to have 2 of them. Thank you for rescuing this guy. His feathers may grow in as he becomes more comfortable in your home or they may not. But who cares, right?
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#250905 - 02/25/13 03:18 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: Ladyhutch]  
M2Tiki Offline
M2Tiki  Offline

Las Veags, NV
Thank you for the welcome, Sharon, I sincerely appreciate it!

You're right! Feathers or no feathers, he's my guy. I think he's perfect. I love that bird! smile We're looking forward to sharing our lives with him and seeing how he grows and changes... the good, the bad and the loud! laugh

Stacey

#250906 - 02/25/13 03:46 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to MyToos! Feathers are optional, here. smile

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#250907 - 02/25/13 04:06 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: AJMontyBird]  
M2Tiki Offline
M2Tiki  Offline

Las Veags, NV
Thank you AJMontyBird! smile

#250909 - 02/25/13 11:26 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome to Mytoos! I love reading post like yours. It is so seldom that we get folks that join that have taken the time to do their research before getting a too. AJ is right, here we consider feathers optional and Tiki is beautiful! Thank you also for giving him a wonderful home and for volunteering your time to help.
Check out the Behavior Forum and Applied Behavior Forums for some very informative post.
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=2&page=1
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=26&page=1

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#250912 - 02/25/13 07:24 PM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: BE2Cassie]  
M2Tiki Offline
M2Tiki  Offline

Las Veags, NV
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, Nancy!!! I wish everyone considering adopting a parrot, of any kind, would volunteer at a sanctuary before doing so. They are all so individual and so very emotional. I wish it was a prerequisite! Goodness, I have so many stories I could share about my volunteer time, but another time, other posts. smile

We toiled for months about adopting him. We had to be 100% positive that we would be giving him a better home not just a different home. Each week it became clearer and clearer that he was meant for us.

Thank you for the links. I have read them and will most likely reread them several more times. smile I have been reading peer reviewed papers and other fantastic articles and books on ABA. It's brilliant!

Thanks again! Looking forward to being a part of this amazing site!

#251154 - 03/19/13 12:48 AM Re: Greetings from Vegas! Me and Tiki the M2... (pics) [Re: M2Tiki]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos! Tiki is gorgeous.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny