Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#250667 - 02/13/13 04:32 PM Looking for cage like Kings Aluminum, only larger  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

My M2's main cage is a Cages by Design, 6 feet long by 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall. (She has her own room.) Except for its size, I hate it. The legs quickly bent under the weight so the trays fell out. Nightmare to clean. It is currently supported by a metal bed frame. I want to replace it.

I use a King's aluminum cage for a day/play cage (like many of us, my 'too can not be left unattended on a play stand) and also disassemble it to take with us on weekend and longer trips. I also have King's aluminum travel cage for car rides, time outside helping me garden etc. I love the King's aluminum cages - they are lightweight, extremely well made, easy to clean, and I can disassemble/reassemble in <five minutes. I highly recommend them. Unfortunately, their largest cage is only 33 x 24.

I'd like to find something like the King's cages that is bigger - at least 48x30. It doesn't have to disassemble/reassemble easily since it wouldn't be used for travel. It should be fairly light and easy to clean. I have actually thought about buying a second King's cage and not using the left panel on one and the right panel on the other - somehow "chaining" the two together - to create a big enough cage. Anyone tried that?

Any ideas for a suitable larger version? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#250669 - 02/13/13 04:51 PM Re: Looking for cage like Kings Aluminum, only larger [Re: Jaclyn]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
When I worked at the zoo we had one of those large cages by design. We ended up removing the base and plexi and putting in stainless chain mesh and reinforced the base with steel.
Have you checked ebay for aluminum cages? Even if there aren't any for sale there you may find a company that sells them larger.
After a quick search I didn't see any larger either. Arcadia makes one but it's about the same size. Have you thought of stainless? They look to be about the same cost.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 02/13/13 05:03 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#250698 - 02/15/13 03:29 AM Re: Looking for cage like Kings Aluminum, only larger [Re: Jaclyn]  
Jaclyn Offline
Jaclyn  Offline

Thanks for ideas on the Cages by Design cage. Reinforcing the base would definitely help - as well as replacing the plexi glass front panels. They sounded good in concept (and might be fine for an Amazon, African Grey, or Macaw). Don't work so well with a cockatoo's feather dust.

I'll look further into a stainless cage. In the past, they seemed much too expensive. But perhaps they have come down some in price.

I've written to King's to ask if they have any plans to introduce a larger cage ... or whether it might be possible to "connect" two to make one larger cage.

#250703 - 02/15/13 12:29 PM Re: Looking for cage like Kings Aluminum, only larger [Re: Jaclyn]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Or beaks! The one we had looked awful in under a year. Krystal loved rubbing his beak and talons on the plexi. The base was pretty easy to reinforce. They used L brackets on each corner and three pieces of 3 inch wide steel strapping across the bottom. Their cage sizes and designs are nice but the quality just isn't there.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny