Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#248530 - 10/12/12 03:16 AM best foods to fatten up my umbrella  
jjoos99 Offline
jjoos99  Offline

Yellow Springs Ohio
I have a 21 year old umbrella that has a broken wing that we have been treating him for. He currently has a collar with a wide round disc that keeps him from chewing on his wing. He is starting to get pretty thin from having so much trouble to eat from his bowl. I feed him a pellet and seed mix. I would like to know what I might feed him to put some weight on? Thanks for the help.
Jeff

#248531 - 10/12/12 04:56 AM Re: best foods to fatten up my umbrella [Re: jjoos99]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Poor fellow! Has you AV recommended anything? The collar sounds as if it interferes not only with his reaching the food in his dish, but also with holding pieces with his foot as he eats. If so, he might really appreciate assistance, in the form of you making sure the pieces are small enough for him to eat in one bite, and perhaps handing them to him one at a time. Yes, it's time-consuming, but it certainly will help your relationship!
My first thought would be almond or winter squash, because of the calcium content, and the fact that they are attractive to most birds. But od get vet input before starting anything different from your regualar diet.

Jody
#248538 - 10/12/12 02:57 PM Re: best foods to fatten up my umbrella [Re: jjoos99]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Does he eat veggies or fruits? You could try feeding him some oatmeal or cooked pasta if the vet says ok. Have you spoken with the vet concerning his inability to eat from his bowl? That's the first thing you should do today and let him know. The vet may be able to make adjustments to the collar. You should start weighing him daily to be sure he's not dropping.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#248553 - 10/13/12 05:46 AM Re: best foods to fatten up my umbrella [Re: jjoos99]  
jjoos99 Offline
jjoos99  Offline

Yellow Springs Ohio
The collar is designed to stop him from being able to reach the healing section of his wing. It also stops him from climbing or as you mentioned even holding any foods with his feet. We are going on close to 8 weeks and over $1200 of treatment, with the addition of the collar for the past 3 weeks. The vet has not even mentioned to me about him loosing weight but I can feel it in his chest and keel bone. He is not on any special diet so I should be able to try the different foods that have been mentioned in the previous posts. I have started to hand feed him his seeds and pellets the last couple of days and will continue with this. We could use the bonding time since he is kind of leery of me from all the trips to the vet and having to towel him to give him his meds. He has gotten pretty much afraid to come out of his cage.
thanks for the support
Jeff

#248555 - 10/13/12 06:54 AM Re: best foods to fatten up my umbrella [Re: jjoos99]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You need to buy a digital postal scale that weighs in grams and keep the weight monitored - they aren't expensive - $20 or so @ Walmart.

How long have you had the bird and how was the wing broken?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#248568 - 10/13/12 11:52 PM Re: best foods to fatten up my umbrella [Re: jjoos99]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

my birds love home made oatmeal,u might put a little peanut butter in it too. when Bo, my quaker was so sick I fed him hand feeding formula with peanut butter in it. best thing is to call the vet he may need to adjust the collar. investing in a scale is a good idea, if your noticing it, its past time to act.

#248653 - 10/19/12 04:30 AM Re: best foods to fatten up my umbrella [Re: jjoos99]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Oatmeal might be good and if they are on the thin side as my angelina, a little low fat peanut butter might help.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny