Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#242279 - 02/14/12 11:54 PM Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Last night I watched a program on Raccoons. It was very interesting as to how they've gone from the tropics, to North America and beyond. They are one of the few mammals that can live in the city just as well in the country. They actually become smarter generation to generation, living in the cities.

But here's what stopped me in my tracks:

In Japan, the Temples have stood for a thousand years. Now, many of them are being destroyed by.... racoons. Considering that raccoons are not native to Japan or anywhere in Asia... how did this happen?

Back in the 70s, a Japanese cartoon show featured a raccoon as one of it's main characters. It was SO cute, that soon the Japanese started importing thousands of them as pets. As we all know, most raccoons cannot be tamed once they become adults. So the owners let them loose in the countryside. Now, they have a problem that they never DREAMED they have: The destruction of their Temples.

This exact same scenario plays out with most all animals that are featured in this way... especially birds. Every time a movie comes out, (whether a cartoon or live action)or someone posts to a website, or birds are used in advertisements, the demand goes up. Every time you post to Facebook photos of your birds without a disclaimer, you arent helping matters. Please be careful how you approach the world with your parrot. Be sure to let the world know you're not advocating the purchase or capture of these animals. Be sure to never post cutesy photos ANYWHERE, without some disclaimer that parrots are not "pets" any more than raccoons are. They are wild animals that sometimes allow us to live with them. And technically speaking, they'd be much better left alone in the wild.

#242280 - 02/15/12 12:07 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Holy cow, I didn't think me posting a picture with Cindy did that much [Like my picture on here]

I'll do that from now on. I've had some adorable pictures of Cindy that I've put on facebook without a second thought, I'll have to track them down and fix that.

I make sure that when I talk to someone about a bird, any bird, I tell them birds aren't like cats or dogs. They're not content with just toys, and food.

Thanks for letting me know.

#242285 - 02/15/12 12:56 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Posting here is not a big issue, as this entire website is all about disclaimers. Personal websites, public websites etc are the place you want to be careful.

#242286 - 02/15/12 01:39 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
Melinda R Offline
Melinda R  Offline

Rutledge Tn
On my face book page i have it on my info to come cheeck out MYToos before ever thinking about getting any bird.
I did see the same show just a few days ago.I do know first hand about pet raccoons as many people i have meet through life has a huge 45 pound male out back in a cage. Sure they will take food from your hand through the wire but stick your hand in there and see how much wild is left in them.
They can't be released after living 9 years in a cage with a food bowl they think dogs are play toys and humans are food supplies.
Kinda reminds me of our birds. The sad thing is the birds adapt better to living in our homes as long as we provide a healthy envoroment. But that still doesn't take the wild out of them but yet they can't be release out in the wild either.
Wild animals should be just that wild in the wild without us messing everything up for them.

#242289 - 02/15/12 07:27 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Melinda R]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well...anyone that is a friend of mine on Facebook already knows my stand on cockatoo or parrot ownership I don't feel I need to put a disclaimer on every picture I post of my flock.I don't have "friends" that don't know me for my philosophy on parrots.

My photo's are not public and I do not post my pics anywhere but here or Facebook.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#242290 - 02/15/12 07:32 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I agree, depends on your privacy settings, how well you monitor your friends lists and how you conduct yourself regarding your position about captive parrots on your Facebook as a whole. Nothing on my page is public, nor is it viewable to "friends of friends".

I understand what you are saying in theory, but not in practice - unless of course your Facebook or any other internet page you have is open to the public.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#242301 - 02/15/12 11:56 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I had never really thought of my privacy setting much before. I have numerous post pertaining to the plight of parrots and animal welfare along with many friends with the same views. I've changed my privacy setting to friends only. My website is of course open to the public with links to not only here but to other informative sites as well.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#242395 - 02/18/12 06:10 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Back to fb to correct the impression the picture may have created. . .Thanks, Jerry; I hadn't even considered that!

(and here I was getting all ready to vent about somebody posting a "live cam" video watching a nestful of commercially raised baby parrotlets. . .I did add a comment about what miserable lives these poor little critters were destined to have, though)

Jody
#242419 - 02/19/12 04:11 AM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
Sharron Offline
Sharron  Offline

NY
Thanks Jerry, I hadn't thought of that. I will modify my Facebook album.

Lucy & Maui (M2s), Charlie & Willie (CAGs) and other assorted fluffy & furry friends.
#242466 - 02/20/12 10:17 PM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
CrittersRus Offline
CrittersRus  Offline

Super food for thought...I'm off to edit my bird photos tonight

#242495 - 02/21/12 08:28 PM Re: Raccoons & Parrots. Not what you think [Re: Jerry]  
My baby Sunshine Offline
My baby Sunshine  Offline

CALIFORNIA
Thanks Jerry, I had not thought about my FB page however I am going work on my page today to remind people who I know that even though I have cute pics on FB to know that it is not as cute as you may think and tell it like it really is to be a too owner and worse what is to be a captive pet especially if mistreated as so many of them have been.

Betty & My baby Sunshine & Angel

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny