Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240531 - 12/20/11 08:15 PM Hello, I'm from NYC~  
clowangel Offline
clowangel  Offline

I'm Elena and I'm a new Umbrella Cockatoo foster parent from New York. Springer's my foster too's name. I've had many different kinds of birds, but Springer will be the first cockatoo under my care. I've browsed the site and forums to prepare myself for this loving bird who's currently sitting on my lap cuddling with me.

She (the shelter says Springer's a girl) just came home with me yesterday. The shelter owner was kind enough to drive her over. Unfortunately, it looks like she got carsick or something. >.>; She threw up all over the cage floor once she got out of the car.

I don't have a clue how old/young she is. All she seems to know how to say so far is, "I love you", "Spring", "Hellooo", and "Hi!" She's an attention hogger. If I'm not in the room, she'll scream her pretty little head off. It's loud if I'm in the same room, but otherwise it's not as loud as I thought it'd be. The shelter owner Zoe also told me she's fine with complete strangers, even kids. He brought her to a lecture/class at a school and she let all the kids pet her.

She doesn't seem to have grown up on fresh foods, but I went out early this morning to buy a whole bunch of veggies and fruits for her anyway. I'm hoping she'll learn to eat them eventually.

She's such a smart bird too. o-o This morning, I turned on the lights...and she undid her cage latch and stepped right out. I absolutely LOLed. Great thing to wake up laughing.

Oh, I also have a cat, a pigeon, four budgies and two red-eared sliders.

I just have one question... O_O Is it normal for a too to crawl under things? Like pillows and blankets?

Last edited by clowangel; 12/20/11 08:34 PM.
#240534 - 12/20/11 09:26 PM Re: Hello, I'm from NYC~ [Re: clowangel]  
Melinda R Offline
Melinda R  Offline

Rutledge Tn
Welcome to My Toos! She is looking for a nesting site. Discourage her as much as you can. Don't do full body petting with her either. You want to discourage any breeding and egg laying behaviors so you don't end up with her thanking you are her mate. Plus they can get egg binding, so just be careful not to encourage her.

#240543 - 12/21/11 01:29 AM Re: Hello, I'm from NYC~ [Re: clowangel]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Welcome to Mytoos. She sounds like a delightful bird. One caution. She may be in her honeymoon phase and may not always be this sweet, so dont let your guard down and also, especially watch her around children. Angelina loves them, but I dont let her anywhere near them. Hopefully you can post some pictures, would love to see her

#240546 - 12/21/11 03:02 AM Re: Hello, I'm from NYC~ [Re: clowangel]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Welcome to MyToos!!! I hope you and Springer are a great fit and have a long life together!! Let us know how everything is going! Agree with above posts to really watch all Toos around all strangers...

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#240557 - 12/21/11 09:42 AM Re: Hello, I'm from NYC~ [Re: clowangel]  
clowangel Offline
clowangel  Offline

Thanks for the welcomes.

Yeah, I know not to pet her on the body. I only pet her on the head. As for her and strangers, seeing as she's been to quite a few lectures on animal education, I'm thinking she's okay with strangers.

The shelter's only giving her to me to foster because they've had a huge number of dogs coming in. They have no time to give her the attention she needs.

Edit: How should I go about discouraging her nesting behavior?

Last edited by clowangel; 12/21/11 09:44 AM.
#240566 - 12/21/11 07:48 PM Re: Hello, I'm from NYC~ [Re: clowangel]  
Francis Offline
Francis  Offline

Florida
Hello, welcome to the wonderful world of Toos. Wow your amazing for taking in this beautiful little girl. Who knows you might end up as her new forever home. There is so much info on this site for just about anything you could need.

"COURAGE" moving forward in spite of "FEAR"
#240588 - 12/22/11 05:00 PM Re: Hello, I'm from NYC~ [Re: clowangel]  
clowangel Offline
clowangel  Offline

Thanks Francis. Eh, I likely will not be her forever home. She's beautiful and sweet, but I can't afford to adopt her. I just hope that her future permanent home will be with a loving family that will play with her even more than I do.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny