Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#233607 - 05/08/11 01:34 PM Cindy just bit me?  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
I took my glasses off to clean them, like usually. Nothing new to Cindy. All of a sudden she started attacking me like she would someone who she didn't like. It got so bad I had to get her with a towel and put her in her cage.

Her and I have had our few squabbles - but nothing like this. My arms red and swollen.

I'm not angry - Though I did get a "I'm the boss and that wasn't something you're allowed to do voice." She backed down a little bit, until I tried to touch her to put her in her cage.

Once I got her in her cage [Thank you towel] She jumped at me through the bars. And when I put my glasses on to see her better [I'm 20/300] she went back to normal.

I'm so confused. She's seen me with my glasses off a million times. Hell, when I first got her I could only get near her WITHOUT my glasses. If they were on she'd try to kill me.

I know birds have their moments. But just a second ago she was dancing to some music and having a ball. I was actually booting up the laptop - to record her.

I'm scared to feed her. Not literally scared, but worried. What if she decides I'm on her hate list now? Should I take her to the vet? [I don't think it needs to be that severe, but I won't rule it out.]

Edit --

She's back to normal. I don't know WHAT happened

Last edited by dekto; 05/08/11 02:42 PM.
#233608 - 05/08/11 03:24 PM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: dekto]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Good Morning to you and Cindy.

So she has seen you with your glasses off already w/no prior problems. How did you clean them, just taking off to wipe them or did you use a spray of something?
Different cloth to clean them? Maybe she was closer than normal to you while doing it and it just freaked her out?

Because it could be anything, what was the order or how everything happened, from her dancing and having fun, glasses off, cleaned, getting the lap top ready, etc. Something so minor like something being out of order in all of that may have freaked her.

One thing that bothers our Maglinka is seeing a light reflection. She can be having a great time, and it light reflect from the windows when a car pulls in driveway, the car door opens, sun light bounces around, etc. If the light ends up flickering on the ceiling above her, its on like donkey kong.

Last edited by GlinkaToo; 05/08/11 03:35 PM.
#233609 - 05/08/11 03:34 PM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: GlinkaToo]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Just the usual. Though I did pick the remote up.

I thought it was that, until I took it over [Slowly, in a baby voice] to see if she had any reaction to it. She made kissing sounds. Not really aggression.

#233610 - 05/08/11 06:48 PM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: dekto]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
If she was dancing and moving around allot just before this happened it could be that she was over stimulated.It could be the combination of the glasses and stimulation.Hard to say.You need to sit down and walk through exactly what was happening just before during and right after.So from what I read you were dancing,pulling your laptop out,cleaning your glasses.

Where were you hanging out?Was it a usual place,was it an area that she had claimed as her own and been nesty in?Could it be that you were ignoring some cues that she was not in the best mood?

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#233611 - 05/08/11 07:14 PM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: Janny]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Sorry for late post. Was making egg drop soup for my mom.

She didn't seem upset.
Hmm..

We were laying down, her on my back, just watching TV
I started listening to a song
She liked it, started dancing and making her happy noices, cooing, kissing sounds, clucks
I got the laptop out, she got into my leg [Crossed leg, sititng on it like a perch.]
Took glasses off, wipped with shirt, picked the remote up to turn the TV off and WAM bites on my arms.

We were on my bed, her favorite place other than her cage.

Should I be worried about this happening again?
She seems fine. Helped herself to some of my soup. I just don't feel comfortable letting her on my shoulder/ above the waist basically until I know she's out of her mood to bite.

#233612 - 05/08/11 08:32 PM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: dekto]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Quote:
She seems fine. Helped herself to some of my soup. I just don't feel comfortable letting her on my shoulder/ above the waist basically until I know she's out of her mood to bite.

Well as a rule I never encourage people to have their birds on their shoulders (in fact I discourage it) in the first place because allot of cues that they are agitated or going to bite can't be seen and it is so easy to be seriously injured with a bird on the shoulder because of how fast it can happen.You can have a bird seem totally fine and get a spook of some sort and they can bite in a split second.These even come from companions that have not bit their care givers for 10+ years...that is something we sign up for and have to expect when we live with wild animals.It isn't any different from reading about people being mauled by tigers,lions,chimps...they are wild just like our flock is.NOW we can learn to make the best of it and avoid situations the best we can but we still may get bit time to time.It doesn't make the bird "bad" it is just what the nature of the beast is...they have no other way to communicate that something isn't right or what they want.It is our job to find those cues to avoid the biting.

For example...I have a goffins cockatoo that is very excitable and when she is in her stimulated mood...she isn't allowed to be on my body.When we dance and get excited she is either on her cage,the arm of a chair,or a playstand.Why...because even though I am her chosen one.She will bite me when she is stimulated and it's not that she doesn't like me.It's because she just doesn't know what to do with herself.I never hold a grudge for a bite although I may approach with caution until I can figure out where the bite is coming from...whether it's that they don't like my shirt or my hair...whatever it is.I do my best to find out what the cause of the bite was and try to avoid that situation again.

Last edited by Janny; 05/08/11 10:41 PM.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#233613 - 05/08/11 10:52 PM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: Janny]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
A little joke I make is, I don't own Cindy. Cindy owns me.

I don't let her on my shoulder in other rooms [Or try not to. She's a fast boogar.]Expecially in the shower. She's on my forearm [She's scared of the shower perches for some reason..] and my arm is held away from my body. Rather an arm bite than an eye bite.

In my room the door [Where she's out most of the time.] is locked when I have her out, and people must knock [So I can secure her. She likes to try and fly at people. Even if her wings are clipped.]

I have that bad habit of letting her on my shoulders. I will admit that. I don't even notice it sometimes. it's like picking my lips - One day it's going to bite me in the butt. Or in literal terms, the face. And when [I say when because I'm that absentminded] it will be my fault. I can't get mad at her. Like today, I backed away and used my arm as a sheild. Because she wouldn't attack for no reason. Something had to trigger it, and I was the only one in the room.

When it happens, she wasn't on my shoulder [I'm glad] she was on my thigh watching the laptop.

I'm fine with bites. They come with the bird, like cat scratches you. I'm just upset I don't know exactly what caused it. What I did wrong. How i can fix it. I don't like upsetting Cindy.

----

Side note, Cindy's feather plucking has gotten better :} I open her window a crack and she seems to be less stressed with the [small amount] of wind coming into the room.

Last edited by dekto; 05/08/11 10:53 PM.
#233615 - 05/09/11 02:52 AM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: dekto]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Dont beat yourself up over it smile , it is frustrating not knowing what it could be. Not knowing Cindy, but maybe getting the remote did it, as it was the last thing to happen right before she bit. Or not so much what happened but the timing of when it did. Maybe she "felt" it interrupted her dancing time?? The good thing is, she is fine now like you said. The moment has passed, but it is good you are looking to figure out why. Do not worry if you cant right away or for a while. Sometimes it takes time. Mags I found out after putting 2 and 2 together (a few times) does NOT like me wearing yellow, EVER! So I stopped. Also, she eats every color of her zupreem fruit blend pellets except 1. Yellow. they are always left over. She wont even toss them around. lol.

Nice to hear her plucking is ceasing. Happy news. smile

I found a good tip on here for keeping Maglinka on our hands and not scrambling up our arms to our shoulders. It has worked for her and could help you with Cindy. When they start to inch up our arms if we are holding them out horizontally, drop your elbow. There is nowhere to go but back up to your hand. Of course we dont drop our elbows so quick she would slip or fall, but enough to encourage her to climb back the other way. Wrist to elbow from horizontal to verticle. Initially when we first got her, she had shoulder time, but a nip or bite would always occur. I know now we could not see the cues she was giving that are now, and always were, very evident. smile

Last edited by GlinkaToo; 05/09/11 02:53 AM.
#233617 - 05/09/11 03:26 AM Re: Cindy just bit me? [Re: GlinkaToo]  
reproman Offline
reproman  Offline

It is the remote as a too toy. My U2 does not like small black things be it leather or plastic. He even hates my leather brief case. And he does not like plastic cups or waterbottles. In fact I talked to a pet store employee years ago and he mentioned that the cockatoos would get real annoyed in the morning when he came in with his morning styrofoam coffee cup. The cockatoo feels that they are toys and you are not sharing. Think of a kid in the terrible twos - everything is mine. If I pickup something up that stimulates the "mine" behavior, I make sure the U2 is in his cage. I don't use my body as a shield. Having him trying to go thru my chest a few times didn't really hurt but why make a habit of it.

It is interesting that if I pick up a piece of pasta, there is no lunging. He expects to be fed and knows that I will share all my food. I guess toys makes it more competitive.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny