Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#233093 - 04/26/11 01:37 PM Maglinkaʻs Progress!  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Its great to watch Mags our LSC2 go "crazy happy" over a new toy I found for her. Its a "butterfly" made of coconut wedges, corn cobs, sisal, oyster shells and fun knots. Very colorful. The 1st one hung in her cage for weeks without her touching it. All of the sudden one day, she decided to give it a go. She makes use of chewing and shredding every bit of it until it is nicely destroyed. She seems to like getting the shells off between the knots to do the "put it on my back and let it roll off/catch it in time before it falls" game. Around that time she also decided to make use of her other toys as well. It is so great to see her having fun on her own.
Another great thing we have seen are new feathers! All over! Weve had new downy growth the past month or so, but now the feathers are coming in. We have had and will have all week warm temps and some humidity, which she seems to be enjoying. I just love seeing her more content and wanted to share.

Last edited by GlinkaToo; 04/26/11 02:48 PM.
#233133 - 04/27/11 12:37 AM Re: Maglinkaʻs Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Awesome update!! Isn't it wonderful when these precious souls really dig into their toys? Now you know what really "floats her boat," and you can use those types of treats and toys to incent her and reward her for certain behaviors you want to encourage. Terrific news on the new feather growth also! Way to go, Mags smile

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#233159 - 04/27/11 01:47 PM Re: Maglinkaʻs Progress! [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I so love when my guys get all excited over a toy. We laugh and applaud their enthusiasm, and this seems to get them going even more lol.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#233205 - 04/28/11 03:50 AM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Thanks ladies! I really like that she is enjoying every bit of her toy. When she shreds and removes a knotted sisal rope end, she then works to un-knot it. Then picks at the sisal piece by piece. Much more fun to watch then her chewing and picking at her feathers.
The new feathers are truly, all over!! She was sitting at my desk with me getting some scritches, and as her head was bowed for pets, as I went against the grain, all I see and feel are loads of new growth. Some are blood feathers, but she doesnt seem bothered at all. I hope she leaves them be. Especially with more toys coming her way to keep her busy.

Also, she taught me something new today. It had only happened once or twice before, but this third incident made the light bulb go off in my head. A client came in to purchase some supplies for their pet while Mags was sitting behind the desk w/me on "her" chair. She had been with me there for some time so it wasnt long where shed be "asking" me to bring her back to her cage. We were chatting and Mags starting letting some calls go, not horribly loud at all, but some wing extensions, stretching her neck up. Then she hung off of the chair by her beak in the cushion, extending her food out to step up on me. I knew ok, she wants back to her home base. I had to hesitate for a few seconds as another client walked in. It was a few seconds too long for her patience, and I got a soft bite Ill call it. A little, hurry up!! I do not want to be here any more! Since we have had Maglinka Ive only receieved a small handful of bites (fortunately she has never gotten any of us too badly, she is really very good) and the ones that were memorable, were when certain clients (not all) came to the desk and she asked to get back to her cage, and I had taken too long. It just felt good actually to know now what she had meant by it before. Also to hear her sweet little happy whistle when she stepped to her cage.

Last edited by GlinkaToo; 04/28/11 03:51 AM.
#233402 - 05/03/11 03:41 AM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Well all of Mags new growth is still coming in and she has not chewed or plucked a thing! She has really been loving her pellets more, I think we are at a 50:50 mix right now and I hope to start decreasing more of her seed mix. She has also had more of a schedule as far as her scream sessions too.

She meowed back at a cat today. When shes screaming/singing in the afternoons, she throws in some dog barks, which we figured would come w/ the territory. But she went back and forth w/ a clients Abyssinian. It was really cute.

#233427 - 05/03/11 05:31 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Things are really going well with Mags, and it's just a joy to read about her progress!! Please post a new pic when you can -she sounds like a real charmer!

Annette

#233443 - 05/04/11 01:01 AM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: MissYumYum]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Oh I definitely will. I'm in the office all day w/her tomorrow so I'll get some good ones of our girlie.
She is a total charmer! She has quite a few of our regular clients stop by randomly to visit w/her. They are all very well versed by us and their own knowledge for no petting below the neck, so it makes for even better positive socialization. We are sure to be responsible and don't let anyone just handle her unsupervised. They really love her and I think if she had her way though, she'd make everyone her flock member.
It's nice to get Mag's message, and the message about what all Too's and parrots are going through to people. I had a client stop by and mention how her husband could not stop telling people about her and what she'd gone through before we took her in. He's a cop, and now the whole police precinct knows about her. smile

Last edited by GlinkaToo; 05/04/11 01:15 AM. Reason: more to add
#233652 - 05/10/11 12:32 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Update on Maglinka. Feather growth is still going well. There was only 1 little downy feather on the bottom of the cage yesterday, but preening is going well and she has not gone overboard.
When I got to work around lunch time, my coworker had said Mag was hanging upside down from the ceiling of her cage playing w/a new toy that originally she didnt show much interest in.
Later on, a client came in for an appointment. Mags decided to scurry down her cage to introduce herself, but I knew the clients cat didnt need any more help getting agitated further. I intercepted her, she stepped up for me, (which she has been doing really great for us) and while I was holding her the client was asking about her. While we were chatting and after a few head scratches, she swung herself upside down hanging from my fingers wing flapping and crazy head twisting. So, I swung her back and forth and she seemed to enjoy it!!! I figured its good exercise for her too to get those wings moving. I stopped, she reached her head up to rub my fingers and we did it again another 2 or 3 times. I figured a nip would come to tell me to stop, but I was watching closely, and got a strange honk out of her so I took that as my cue. She seemed ok with stopping so we will see what happens next time. smile

I just have a good feeling after a year of hard work, things are finally paying off. I think shes got a "stuffed" bank account. smile

Last edited by GlinkaToo; 05/10/11 12:34 PM.
#233665 - 05/11/11 03:07 AM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
Crzy4Brdz Offline
Crzy4Brdz  Offline

Northeast Wisconsin
That's so wonderful! What fun...

#233679 - 05/11/11 04:46 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: Crzy4Brdz]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Progress by leaps and bounds! Way to go, Maglinka!!

Annette

#234592 - 06/14/11 04:23 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: MissYumYum]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
So I cannot wait til tomorrow when I can load some pictures of Maglinka and all the rest of her new feather growth. People are coming in asking if we got a new bird and what happened to our old one. She is doing so well. She is completely off of seed. Especially since that portion of diet has been finished, she is thriving. Eyes seem clearer, her nostrils are beautifully clean, plus all of these new feathers!!

Also someone on here had mentioned to another member artichokes for them to destroy. We got her some and in human terms, she LOVES them. She wastes nothing. It feels so great to see her doing so well. Just had to share. New pictures will be under her thread in the photo section tomorrow, as long as I can properly link them. smile

#234594 - 06/14/11 04:40 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Cant wait to see the new pictures. What a great job you have done with her

#234647 - 06/16/11 04:12 AM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: angelinasmom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of sweet Maglinka!

Annette

#235161 - 07/06/11 05:10 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: MissYumYum]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Hey everyone!! Just a quick update, I was able to upload 2 photos onto the facebook group site of Mags new look. smile Having some Flikr troubles, but I will update the link above when I can with the new pictures. She's doing marvelous!! Only every now and then bugging with her tail feathers, but she doesn't rip them out, she breaks one or 2. I'm going to see if perch placement isnt the problem.

#235172 - 07/06/11 08:04 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Glad to hear shes doing well

#243441 - 03/21/12 05:21 PM Re: Maglinkas Progress! [Re: GlinkaToo]  
GlinkaToo Offline
GlinkaToo  Offline

NJ
Hi Everyone! Wow I last posted in July! Eek!
I know I forgot my log in a few times and sometimes viewed mytoos as a guest but good grief it's been too long.

Anyway, just getting back into the swing of things online. My daughter, family, work, the holidays, Maglinka, it's kept me very busy, in a good way, but away from being online for a bit.
Miss Mags is doing good. We had a bit of feather chewing and plucking over the winter. Focused mostly around her "belly". Now that daylight savings/time change has occured and there's warmer weather and longer day light I can see she's letting herself alone. Also the special lighting we have for her must be a help as well. Right now she's playing away with her blocks. Such a good birdy.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny