Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229119 - 01/11/11 04:32 PM What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird?

For me it's any way in which I do not give money to the bird breeding and selling industry to include pet shops, private breeders, resellers, individuals wanting to sell a bird to go get another, and much more.

I don't count for me purchasing a bird with cage from an individual who states they are sick of the mess and won't ever be getting another bird and out the door the bird must go, as to me this is a rescue just a rescue from a private party instead of an established brick and morter resuce. I would never pay a high amount of course but a low amount really only covers the cage anyway and the bird has to have a cage.

I recently rescued two cockatiels from a private party and they stated they were sick of the mess and noise and won't be getting birds again and the birds needed to be out the door.

After meeting them and the birds it was clear they got birds for all the wrong reasons and had no clue as to the reality of living with birds.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#229122 - 01/11/11 06:45 PM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: JackieBoy]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Quote:
I don't count for me purchasing a bird with cage from an individual who states they are sick of the mess and won't ever be getting another bird and out the door the bird must go, as to me this is a rescue just a rescue from a private party instead of an established brick and morter resuce. I would never pay a high amount of course but a low amount really only covers the cage anyway and the bird has to have a cage.

This is something that has been debated MANY times and if you did a search you would probably get allot of reading material.

To answer this in another perspective...not saying it is my or Mytoos stand on anything just throwing it out there... If you walked into a situation where a bird was living in filth up to it's eyeballs,no toys,poor health,and being all out neglected...how does paying $100.00-400.00 for a cage excuse what that person did?They may have paid allot more than that for that bird in the beginning but...they are still making a profit off that bird or cage to go and spend somewhere on themselves likely.In order for anyone to learn anything they have to either feel compassion for the living being that they are trying to "sell" or be penalized for it IMHO.

I guess the way I see it is...they are getting paid to torture a living being....

Best case senario...report what you see to the authorities.Take pictures,accurate statements,and whatever other proof you can find.

It is really a tough question to answer and I believe ultimately it is your decision and each situation is unique...it is up to you and how you can justify things...If the birds have not been abused or neglected...that is one thing.If it is a well meaning person trying to do the right thing and needing to find a good home...or whether it is a heartless person who could care less...it really is a hard one...

A while back I had come into a situation where I was told about a M2 who NEEDED help.He was in his late 20's lived in the same home for the majority of his life.I thought he was very loved and maybe at one time he was.The person was trying to sell him and his "beautiful cage" for $500.He was mutilating and she wanted to do the right thing.I told her how much the vet costs could run and if she actually cared she would not make the money for the cage and issue and she would hand him over.She did.BUT what I walked into was someone who neglected him for a long period of time.She down played EVERYTHING about him including the wound (which he had mutilated into his keel bone) by saying it was only surface and it was only a couple months old.She spoke highly of his diet which was all seed and peanut butter and nuts.He lived in the company of a washer and dryer in her laundry room... There was nothing this women did that was right and she was only a half hour away from an Avian Vet...but did not even TRY to have him seen by a regular vet in her area.She had totally neglected him...there was nothing right about it.His so called beautiful cage was a corner cockatiel cage...I don't even know how she could have stuffed a M2 into it!He had a rusted metal tube for a perch that was duct taped to the cage...Now how would that make me giving her any money for that cage or him have been justified...it couldn't.She is being charged for neglect and animal cruelty and we have a court date set for June of this year.I believe at one time she may have loved this bird...but something went wrong and she did not care in the end.Unfortunately Buddy did not survive his injuries and poor health from the period of neglect but there will be some sort of justice for him...I know that this women will NOT be getting another bird.She stressed that over and over again.But it still does not make handing money over to her the right thing to do.And if I had paid for him I would not consider that a rescue.Fighting for him...that was a rescue!

I guess when you see things like that...it makes you think a little differently.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#229123 - 01/11/11 07:50 PM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: Janny]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
I agree with Jan entirely. As long as we treat birds as a financial commodity, things will never change.

Not only will we (Best Friends) NEVER pay to "rescue" a bird, I actually ask the person relinquishing the bird if they are able to make a financial contribution towards required medical care for the bird they are turning over. Almost everyone is happy to do so. For whatever reason their bird needs to be re-homed, they care enough to do what's right.

In the spirit of full disclosure - Yes, we ask an adoption fee when we re-home a bird, but that is more to help us fund additional rescue efforts. And we do NOT have a set adoption fee. It is tailored towards the individual adopter and the circumstances. A good, loving, educated home is the goal, and I am not going to let money be a stumbling block to that end.

I feel so strongly against making money off of birds that I spend time on Craig's List every evening, flagging anyone who is trying to sell their bird.

Birds are NOT investments. They are NOT a commodity. And if you supposedly love this animal so much, you would be willing to pay someone to provide him with a good home.

#229134 - 01/12/11 02:10 AM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: Jacque]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
There are cases to be made on both sides - to a CERTAIN degree. Honestly if I encountered a bird that was in desperate need of rehome and the individual was representing the transaction as wanting to get their monies back from the value of the cage, I would tell them that I already have a cage (even if I didn't) and that I would take the bird without the cage and tell they can sell the cage to someone. If the cage is worth the asking price, it'll sell. I would prefer to spend the money and buy a cage rather than give money to someone that willfully neglected a companion.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#230423 - 02/11/11 10:59 AM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: EchosMom]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Hmm... like most dilemas in life, its not a simple case of black/white. Some very valid points been made by all so far, and it does depend on the situation your faced with.

MY CURRENT OPINION: The ideal would be that no cash is involved at all (unless its to a bonifide rescue organisation, or a donation to an animal welfare charity to prove your not just lookin for a free animal), but it does depend on the situation your faced with. At end the of the day when we find ourselves face with this should I / shouldnt I dilema we need to ask ourselves Is my paying cash to this person going to further the bird trade or irresposible treatment of animals in ANY way at all? We need to think very carefully with our heads rather than our hearts and answer honestly. Its very easy to do more harm than good despite the best of intentions when thinking purely with our hearts.

In your particular situation with the teils I'd like to think I would have asked myself can I truely be as sure as possible that this person wont change their mind in 6 months time and go out get another pretty little birdie/or another equally unsuitable animal? After all I would have shown that person that if it doesnt work out they can at least recoup the cost of the cage.

An example of a senario where I MAY consider paying some cash would be where someone was genuinely FORCED to sell the cage or the animal because they desperately needed the money for survival, and they had no way of getting it elsewhere. But then again how would I know that to be the case??

And That is the gospel of da O MAN lol

#230424 - 02/11/11 12:51 PM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: oliscot]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I've taken in a few birds and in every case, the former owners wanted what was best for the birds and did not ask for any money. One in particular said that he wouldn't feel right about asking for money for his 'tiel, he just wanted him to go to a home where he would get the attention he deserved and they couldn't give him any longer.

I haven't taken in any majorly abused birds (well, my hahns was somewhat, but she was already being fostered when she came to us), but if I saw something like that, I wouldn't give them any money. I'd either try doing what EM suggested or I would just go straight to animal control (or try to wear them down I guess).

I can understand trying to recoup the loss of a brand new cage (say if things are just not working out or what have you).. but in the case of abuse, it just seems like someone trying to get the money they "wasted" on this bird they treated like garbage back. No way would I want to give someone like that a single cent.

Now, rescue fees are 100% fine as long as the rescue is reputable (like Best Friends). That money goes back into running the rescue and helping animals that are in need, I'm totally onboard with that.

Last edited by Cidsa; 02/11/11 12:55 PM.
#230493 - 02/14/11 12:56 AM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: Cidsa]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I like EMs post very much. When I was volunteering for a rescue, it was amazing how many very undeserving/unqualified/uneducated people have birds - sometimes for long periods of time (this goes for dogs too)...you get comments like, we have put so much money into them ie cost of buying, feeding, etc...trying to get donations was really hard from these folks.

I've learned, though, that I will never ever pay/donate money for any animal unless it is through a reputable rescue. I just know that for me, that is the only answer.

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#230701 - 02/18/11 05:45 AM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
You know Im not sure where Im at on the financial thing. Vada, my macaw was given to me by a relative who had a substance abuse problem to take care of.. She came back one night and was going to take her out of my house because she could sell her. I paid her money that night and had her sign over vada to me. So technically I paid for her. I think and I cant remember I think the amount was fifty dollars. She was on crack at the time I can honestly say I think I did the right thing. She was a very young macaw and after I took her to the vet she still had to be handfed. I dont think my cousin could have cared for her and who knows where she would be now,Believe me, I am totally against buying birds, but sometimes I do think there might be a few exceptions to the rules

#230733 - 02/19/11 06:21 AM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: angelinasmom]  
CharlieandCasper Offline
CharlieandCasper  Offline

Marlboro, Massachusetts
I wouldve done the same thing Angelinasmom. I agree there is a very thin line, and special situations.

Mandy
#230749 - 02/19/11 06:55 PM Re: What are acceptable ways for you to acquire a bird [Re: CharlieandCasper]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I agree with what everyone said here. It is a very fine line at times. I would never support purchasing any bird, but there might be occasions where you would do what Angelinasmom did. She new full well the amount she paid was not going to buy another bird, and she got a signed waiver of rights for the bird in question. It is a judgement and moral call that each person has to make themselves.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny