Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228812 - 01/04/11 08:11 AM Should I get a cockatoo?  
LizzySnipp Offline
LizzySnipp  Offline

I'm looking to adopt a male M2 from the local rescue. I have a 8 yr old female B&G macaw, a 7 yr old female Eclectus (adopted), and a 2 year old female DYH Amazon, so I do have experience. I have read this whole site about 10 times now. I am only 22 (yes I got my macaw when I was 14, but my mother had a scarlet and a green wing and I was home-schooled) so I'm not as much worried about out-living, but I still have my parrots in my will. He is 6, so he is young. When do they start having hormonal changes? One thing on this site makes me iffy about adopting a male M2. Do they really bite and attack you when you're on your period? Will he ever try to 'mate' (I know the eggs would be infertile) with one of my females (all my birds are females..)? They have many M2's as does any rescue, females and males. But I've met them all and me and him click. I fostered him for a few weeks and I just brought him back because I just wanted to test it out. He did have some screaming fits but he's just as loud as my macaw. I live on a farm with my new husband, but we never plan to have kids. I really don't like kids, and my birds are my babies.

Another question, how do you feel about this? Petco sold a 4 month old (how the crap is that weaned?) male U2 to a man who was giving it to his 11 year old daughter for Christmas. Some people who owned him for 2 days sold him to petco because he beaked them.

Last edited by LizzySnipp; 01/04/11 08:13 AM.
#228813 - 01/04/11 09:21 AM Re: Should I get a cockatoo? [Re: LizzySnipp]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I have a male and a female M2. Charley was terribly aggrssive when he first came here but his aggression has lessened over the years. He has lived with me for 8 years. He still is hard to handle at times, but I deal with it.
I haven`t had periods for many years, so I can`t answer that one.
Cockatoos have a lot and I mean a lot of powder down and some birds get lung disease from it. I think Macaws are one of the affected ones. There are people who have both and they will post about that.
A male bird with that many females, I don`t know. My female, Sydnee, is hormonal most of the time and our vet thinks being in close proximity to Charley (as in cages being in the same room) contributes to her egg laying, so this is something else to think about.
There are more learned people on this board then me, so I will leave you in their hands.
Welcome to MyToos.

Sharon

Last edited by Ladyhutch; 01/04/11 09:22 AM.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#228814 - 01/04/11 03:12 PM Re: Should I get a cockatoo? [Re: LizzySnipp]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

First I want to commend you for doing some research before just adopting a Too. It is wonderful and far too uncommon sadly.

As Sharon already mentioned, the B&G's respiratory system would be my first concern. You are going to need a really good ventilation system and best to Keep the M2 separated from the Macaw. The amount of dust that Toos, Greys and Tiels produce can cause a lot of inflammation and illness for Macaws.

As for him possibly attacking or biting while on your period, it is very possible. However each bird is an individual and so this can vary depending on the bird and possibly many other factors. My Ozzy does get a little nippy with me during that time of the month for me also. It is not every month and has never been an issue. His nips are mere warnings and I know his body language well, so have avoided any real bites due to this. Again though this will depend on the individual bird.

Hormonal changes can start occurring anywhere between the ages of 3 and up. It can bring on many changes in their personality and behavior. It can range from some moodiness and nipping, to full on flying attacks. Their drive to mate and reproduce is very strong and they will need lots of ways to release that pent up energy. With Ozzy we are very aware and close with him, it took some adjusting and understanding on our parts to learn his triggers and help to avoid them. We do everything possible to help ease him through his hormonal times.

As for noise... A Too needs to scream and blow off some steam at least twice a day, morning and night. We have screaming session in our home twice a day. We turn on the music, dance, sing and scream with Ozzy. This lasts for around 15 minutes and for us it has eliminated most of the screaming any other time of day. It is a cockatoos nature to greet the morning and night in this fashion. This does not mean that regular screaming sessions will fully eliminate any other screaming. Toos can become very clingy and needy with their human companions and may scream to get their attention. A Too is a great deal of work in understanding their emotional needs.

I have also grown up on a farm and with many parrots. Toos are very different than any of the others in my own personal experience. Their needs and emotions outweigh and exceed those of other parrots imho. Our Ozzy is our baby, and our world revolves around him, his schedule and needs.

Your question regarding the Too being sold by Petco? First off you wont find anyone here that believes in or supports the selling or breeding of any birds. Obviously the man who purchased a Too for his 11 year old has no clue what he is getting into. Sadly this is why there are so many parrots in rescues now. Uninformed and uneducated individuals purchasing a wild creature and bringing it into their homes, thinking of it as a pet. The real culprit here though is Petco and the breeders they support! The disregard for what happens to these angels once they are sold is disgusting. They are very aware and yet they continue to sell birds. So in my opinion...they are horrible and their only regard is for dollars. I will never use a single cent to support this type of business.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#228819 - 01/04/11 05:24 PM Re: Should I get a cockatoo? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

As Deborah mentioned, every bird is an individual, so there's no way anyone can tell you how things will go, just how things might go.

As both Deborah and Sharon mentioned, you might want to google "pulmonary hypersensitivity parrot" and read up on that to see if it's something you're willing to risk for your B&G macaw. Not all B&Gs are affected, but I don't think there's any way to tell until it's too late.

Another concern I have is the size difference among the birds. An M2 could very easily take the beak or foot off of your ekkie or amazon.
http://centerforavianrehab.blogspot.com/2007/07/this-is-jackie-one-of-our-frequent.html is a link to a picture of what a U2 did to a grey (relevant as M2s tend to be larger than U2s and amazons/ekkies are close in size to greys).

Those are my biggest concerns, but would be regardless of the individual M2 you'd be talking about.

Have you pretty much decided on adopting an M2 so your main questions are about noise and the male/female dynamic, or are you still thinking about adding someone else, like another amazon that might complement your flock differently?

As for the pet store incident, Deborah said it well, and stuff like that is one of the reasons I no longer set foot in pet stores -- I don't want to know about it.

#228822 - 01/04/11 07:38 PM Re: Should I get a cockatoo? [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I don't have a whole lot to add to the excellent advice above, but do want to point out that not only are cockatoos considered to be the most difficult breed, with the large 'Toos being the most difficult, AND the male M2's are considered to be the most difficult of all.

If you decide to proceed with this adoption we just want to make sure that you are going in with your eyes wide open. Good luck!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#228829 - 01/05/11 12:10 AM Re: Should I get a cockatoo? [Re: EchosMom]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
Male M2s are the number one most rehomed bird, and there is a good reason. They can be unpredicatable and incredibly dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. If I had a magic wand that I could wave and make a law, it would be that M2s could not be considered as pets.

We have several male M2s here at the sanctuary. One of them is as sweet as pie for those he likes. He will allow "his" people to do anything with him - swing him upside down, cradle him like a baby, etc. But if he doesn't like you (and he makes his decision instantaniously) he will attack with absolutely no warning. He's caused 3 people to get stitches. He's about 7 years old and is in full-blown adolescence. You don't know what your bird will be like, until he actually becomes sexually mature.

That said, my absolute favorite bird here is a male M2, and I would trust him with about anyone. He is a total ham, loves attention, has been well-socialized. We use him as a therapy bird, and take him to Head Start and the Nursing Homes. He will go to anyone and is incredibly gentle around small children and older people. I've never known him to be aggressive in the least. He is in the minority. He was well-raised by someone who took the time to socialize him appropriately, and who never handled him inappropriately. He knows he's a bird, and isn't sexually confused about human "mates". He is also older, and has left his adolesence behind him.

It sounds like you are doing your homework, and are taking all the right steps. Fostering first is an important step. Make sure that you don't allow him to over-bond, or mate-bond to you. Keep all affection/skritches to the neck and head only (more important with toos than any other species).

And finally....do keep him away from the B&G. Of all the macaws, B&Gs are most prone to lung disease from too dander of all the species. We don't even keep these species in the same building. And at home, I keep my macaw and my toos on separate floors and use air filters in both areas.

#228834 - 01/05/11 01:08 AM Re: Should I get a cockatoo? [Re: Jacque]  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
No

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny