Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#227701 - 12/08/10 04:19 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: Elliott]  
jimells Offline
jimells  Offline

Littleton Maine
So far my guys won't eat any kind of fruit or vegetables. They don't seem to know yet that walnuts are food. They pig out on hard boiled eggs. My former CAG companion pigged out on the yolks, but tossed the whites over the side, so I was surprised to see my tiels prefer the whites. Do greys have more of a 'fat beak' than tiels?

They barely nibble on cheerios, don't do toast, but they go crazy for greens! So far I've tried Celery, romaine lettuce, and parsley. I just clip them to the cage and they tear right into it. I don't think they actually eat much of it, but they sure have a good time chewing and shredding and tossing the stuff as far away from the cage as they can.

There seems to be a wide split in the seeds vs. pellets debate. I haven't tried pellets with the tiels. My former large parrot companions ate pellets along with anything that didn't eat them first. I have two questions:

1. Seeds companies claim to add vit D3, etc. How do they get it inside the seeds, since tiels don't eat the husks?

2. I keep hearing about the evils of sunflower seeds, but one of the leading pellets list sunflowers as the no. 1 ingredient, and this brand was sold by the very same vet giving me the big lecture about sunflowers! How can it be evil to feed sunflower seeds, but sunflower based pellets are god's gift to parrots??

As you can tell from my questions, I believe very little of anything that comes from any manufacturer. My goal is to get these guys to eat as wide a variety as possible. If they will eat them, I'll feed both pellets and seeds. I think that's better for their mental health as well as their physical health.

Jim

#227702 - 12/08/10 04:42 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: jimells]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
I don't get into any seed mix vs. pellet answers for feeding tiels as each of us does our own thing. I feed both. Some eat more pellets and less seed mix some eat more seed mix and less pellets. I feed Volkman seed mixes both the mix with sunflower and the mix without sunflower very high quality and fresh and each seed in the mix always sprouts. I feed sprouts too. I feed Lafeber's pellets.

Harrison's told me years ago when I called them that it's the ratio of sunflower to all the other products in their food and it's balanced and sunflower provides fat and protein. I used to feed Harrison's but it got to be too expensive as my waste factor is about 33% with pellets. So I took this as meaning what I was always told; some sunflower is ok but not too much.

I was also told by avian vets, I've had three in the past 20 years that all 'caged' birds are deficient in vitamin A so pump up the foods with A in them but be very careful of giving supplements with A in it as A is fat soluble not water soluble and supplements with A in it can build up and cause hypervitaminosis of A and beta carotene which can cause blindness, vision problems, general weakness and poor overall health.

I know nothing about D3 in seed mixes and pellets. Mine all use mineral blocks on and off and I give them Nekton MSA twice a week per directions.

My thoughts on fortified seed mix is that it's those little green or orange or yellow 'pellets' they put in the seed mixes which contain all the minerals and vitamins listed on the bag and I've never heard or known any budgie, tiel, lovebird or finch to eat them.

Kaytee is big on their fortified diet seed mix aka Forti Diet and all the fortified is, is those tiny green colored crumbles which contain all the minerals and vitamins but birds simply don't eat them.

I feed everything they will eat and supplement with Nekton MSA Wednesdays and either Sat. or Sun. for calcium, D3 and other minerals.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#227725 - 12/09/10 06:36 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: JackieBoy]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Try offering them what you are eating sometimes. Our birds are in the dining room, which makes family mealtime really convenient; they can have whatever is safe for them that is on the table. If the tiel is out, he likes to come and get in our plates, so we usually have him stay in the cage, but he just loves to have part of my meal. If you are eating it, he wants to try it!
I like to make a dish (whatever your bird uses for a "dish", including some sort of puzzle toy) of whatever veggies, pasta, whole-grain bread, orcereal we are eating, and pput it in the cage as we sit down. Because the bird-size portion is smaller, it cools more quickly, so they don't get burned.
When Bill first cqame to us, he was scared of everything, and I didn't let him out much. I would sit by his cage and eat oatmeal, using the handle of the spoon to offer him a taste every time I took a bite. Didn't take him long to decide I knew what was good to eat.
With Phred (a conure) I had to change him over to pellets right away, since his food dish was far too filthy to allow him to continue to use it without some serious cleaning. I took it out, put it in the sink, and gave him a bowl of pellets. I put a pellet in my mouth and chewed it up, bragging about how good it was; my exact words were "MMMMyumyumyumyum". He watched for a few seconds, tried a pellet, and was instantly converted. Easiest time I've ever had getting somebody to eat what they needed to eat! (except for putting pumpkin in my hubby's chocolate chip cookies; he ate that pretty readily ;D )

Jody
#227728 - 12/09/10 03:01 PM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: jm47]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I feed parakeet seeds and then mix in oat groats, barley, millet and, sunflower seeds etc. There is far less waste with this than the seed mix made for Tiels imho. Most of my guys will eat pellets, but not the small ones intended for them lol. After offering and offering I caught them eating my Toos pellets one day and they acted like it was the best thing ever. So they all get large pellets now. Be careful if you do this though, dont stand close by as those pellet pieces can shoot far as they are snapping them in half lol. Of course this isnt all they receive for food, they get fresh vegies, pastas, toast etc. None of my Tiels like cooked foods much but I keep trying. They do all love bits of egg though a couple of times a week. This they will eat right from my hand. Birdie bread is a huge hit also, they love it warm or room temp, you can hide a ton of good foods in birdie bread smile.

I also dont believe that vitamin fortified grain can have much benefit, since Tiels remove the husk.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#227732 - 12/09/10 05:28 PM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
jamienlarry Offline
jamienlarry  Offline

Portland, OR
I don't know about tiels, but my umbrella too Tootsie apparently never got the memo about being a flock eater. I've tried the yummy noises, offering her my stuff, having her right by my food, to no avail. She looks at me funny, and the rare times when I can get her to take a nibble she immediately drops it, doesn't even try to taste it.

Jamie, Tootsie's mom
#227746 - 12/10/10 07:42 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: jamienlarry]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Well, the flock eating got me today: I was across the room about mid-morning, and Phred, the sun conure, decided he wanted to snack on pellets. Fine with me. However, it was NOT fine with him that I was on the "wrong" side of the room. He hollered at me until I went and sat near the table, then he quietly climbed to his little "chest of drawers" and opened a drawer and chowed down. Honestly! (she says, shaking her head in disbelief) How PICKY can you get?

Jody
#227750 - 12/10/10 01:50 PM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: jm47]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

LOL can you say demanding LOL

These angels know they have us wrapped around their little talons crazy

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#228091 - 12/12/10 07:52 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
yup They sure do.

Jody
#228958 - 01/08/11 01:10 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: jimells]  
Senna Offline
Senna  Offline

Virginia
Originally Posted By: jimells
Hi Brittany,

Any success yet in new foods for your buddies?

I clipped a piece of romaine lettuce to the side of the cage, and they went for it right away (yay!). Just about every day I change the cage a little and try something new; they are adapting rapidly, it's very gratifying.

Since they don't like the bottom of the cage for some reason, I moved the water dish down to the bottom, still attached to the side of the cage. They have to really work to get to the dish and drink from it in its new location. I figure that new challenges are good for their little brains. They have already figured out it's much easier just to stand on the bottom of the cage, and today they were both down there for a minute.

I found a recording on wikipedia of a cockatiel making a simple call. They sure recognized it, and responded immediately.

After working on feeding out of my hand (Polo takes a millet bud from my hand, then Marco snatches it from Polo, the little troublemaker!) we tried bath time for the first time. I used a bottle mister over the top of the cage. They absolutely loved it! I love seeing their wings and tail all spread out, they are just magnificent like that.

Jim

Hi Jim, sorry for the late reply but that's awesome they like bathing! I wish my birds liked bath time. I bathe them once every two weeks with the mist bottle and both hate me for the rest of the day right after, lol. They don't like to bathe in a bowl or the sink, and our shower heads don't have a gentle setting so if we tried to put them under that they might get hurt.

I've had some success with getting Senna to eat carrots. They gotta be carefully minced into parakeet seed-sized bits though. It's very time consuming but worth it if my birdy's eating more than just seed. I can also get Senna to nibble on lettuce if I cut it into strips. There's a pinata toy him and Keiko like to play with so I'm gonna try to make my own little bird pinata for them.

-Leftover wood from bird treats is the base
-Using a little peanut butter, glue their favorite seed and treats along with minced veggies and fruits
-After that cover it with weaved strips of plain paper that they like to shred and let strips of lettuce be the little dangly parts of the pinata.

Yeah, I dunno how I'm gonna do the paper part yet but I love doing paper crafts so it ought to be fun. smile

Also as for the pellets thing, can anyone tell me if this brand of pellets is bad? Both of my cockatiels love it to death because it's the same color as their favorite crunchy thing to eat: Lucky Charms(not the marshmallows lol).

Anyways, the brand is called: ZuPreem Classic Avian Maintenance Natural Diet - Fortified with Vitamins and Minerals

I got it because the ingredients said it included a lot of vegetables and it was the only pellets at the store we go to that didn't smell fake. Mom had got some other cockatiel brand when I asked her to pick up some pellets for the budgies and she'd picked up some for the 'tiels too. Opened the bag and they smelled awful! I didn't feel right putting something in their cage that burned my eyes and nose from the smell every time I went to change their food. The ZuPreem Avian Maintenance pellets though, they actually smell delicious and my 'tiels can't get enough of them. Looking at the ingredients I don't see sunflower seeds mentioned anywhere. I dunno if sunflower seeds are listed by their scientific name or what that scientific name is though. It smells too veggie-awesome to be bad for them.

Brittany
#230411 - 02/11/11 12:17 AM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: Senna]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Brit: I have been using the ZuPreem Natural for years. Used the fruit-flavored ones at first(they were the only thing I could find locally) but got tired real fast of having red, green, and purple stains wherever a bit of poop happened. . .and as you know, "poop happens"! I figured if it was staining my shirts and carpet, it wasn't all that good for their little innards. The birds had no complaints when we switched; they seem not to notice smells much, but I thought the natural smelled better.

That said, our guys (a tiel and a conure) get other things often. They do usually have either pellets or something made out of pellets (birdie bread) available to them.

The old books on tiels say they are ground feeders, and eat mostly "seedling grasses", which I think means sprouted seeds of various grasses and grains. I try sprouts sometimes, but haven't yet hit on one that got a very enthusiastic response. Sweet potato, now, or winter squash, cooked and either cut in small pieces or just left in soft-cooked chunks. . .they actually lick the dish clean! Corn on the cob is fun; they eat it and they wear it, and then you wash the wall and shampoo the carpet (unless you covered the floor for about 4 feet around the place where you feed with paper or plastic or something. . .)

Last edited by jm47; 02/11/11 12:18 AM.

Jody
#230426 - 02/11/11 01:31 PM Re: Tiels That Won't Eat Wet Food? [Re: jm47]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
My guys were picky until I found out what they like. They REALLY love leafy vegetables for some reason, like kale and romaine lettuce. This is probably a fluke though lol.

They also really like the mixes and the wheat grass from Beak Appetit (Nuts for Alfredo, Le Grass Cafe). I also made a mix containing cooked wild rice, a hard boiled egg, broccoli and three types of peppers (red, yellow, green). They also LOVE noodles of any kind and rice.

Their favourites all tend to be pretty starchy so I can't give it to them all the time, but they're worth trying out. Also I managed to get my tiels to switch to pellets by getting the Pepper Harrison's. They're enormous pellets, but they loved crunching them up. They have since switched to the smaller sized, regular pellets and love them (just too much waste with the big ones).

The seeds I feed are usually the Napoleon's Mix by Totally Organics. I try not to give them too much seed as they'll totally gorge themselves on them and not eat anything else, lol. Oh and they love nutriberries.

Eating these foods nearby and making a big deal out of it usually gets some interest. Jojo (one tiel) would make a face when I showed him carrots, but when I started eating sticks noisily and talking about how good they were, he immediately wanted some. He'll eat them readily now smile

Actually, since I started doing that, he's become curious about everything I eat. He'll fly over and stick his tongue out toward my food, I'll let him have some if it's a good food. I've found a few favourites this way. It's really awesome when you get a totally picky eater to want to eat EVERYTHING, lol.

And on sunflower seeds: My vet says that they are okay in moderation. The big problem is when they are offered all the time. Some tiel mixes have TONS of sunflower seeds and then the bird picks them out and leaves the rest, the owners offer them as treats, etc etc..

Gosh, I feel like I've bounced around from topic to topic here, hope it makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny