Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226099 - 10/10/10 08:11 PM Words of wisdom from a rescue birdie mom  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
So after getting the most perfect bird in the world, I THOUGHT I knew everything. If all birds were like my Scarlett, every household would have at least one! smile

I was moving WAY too fast for Buff when I adopted him in January. He was my rescue (as most know) and I brought home a beautiful, scared and nuerotic 5 year old. What we want to do is spoil them with all the things we can afford, just like a child. Didn't work. He didn't love or trust ME yet. Whatever I offered was the most frightening thing he had ever seen. It has been 10 months and I was finally able to give him a toy he would play with. Moved his cage to offer more interaction. He appears to be much happier and trusting. Without writing a novel here, my intent is to express to all new bird parents to BE PATIENT and not ask for too much too soon. There were times when I thought my hubs was gonna make me rehome him...we were going to fast! My husband now knows his limitations and Buff is allowing steady showers and preening. He has learned to fly. His wings were mutilated when I got him and ALL wing feathers were clipped. He is almost fully flighted and starting to show confidence instead of biting.

Please concider rescueing, they may take a few months longer, but in the long run they want the same thing...love, respect, and security. I can finally say I love my Buff as much as my princess Scarlett.

Oh and he is playing on the top of his cage now and throwing balls at us to throw back. Every day seems like a step in the right direction. He is finally coming around and happy.

His most recent pics are on Facebook under Connie Stogsdill. What a sweet handsome boy!

Last edited by Scarletts mom; 10/10/10 09:21 PM.
#226102 - 10/10/10 10:33 PM Re: Words of wisdom from a rescue birdie mom [Re: Scarletts mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Way to go Buff, Connie & hubby!! It feels so good that first time they let you touch them, that first flight or they accept something new. Keep up the great job!!
Nancy
And he's adorable and looks so happy!

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 10/10/10 10:36 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#226110 - 10/11/10 02:14 AM Re: Words of wisdom from a rescue birdie mom [Re: BE2Cassie]  
CharlieandCasper Offline
CharlieandCasper  Offline

Marlboro, Massachusetts
Rescues are the best. If they come from an unloving home, eventually they know you love them and they are very grateful! Even if they are cranky now and again:) There are just so many unloved birds out there:)

Mandy
#226133 - 10/13/10 03:51 AM Re: Words of wisdom from a rescue birdie mom [Re: CharlieandCasper]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
He is doing SO great. I'm so proud of my boy. We have passed a lot of milestones and I think we are finally on the right path. Thanks for this board and all of your support! Life is good. Do check out his sunning pics on Facebook! The true face of a content Goffin's! LOVE IT! smile

#226136 - 10/13/10 02:05 PM Re: Words of wisdom from a rescue birdie mom [Re: Scarletts mom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

So wonderful to hear updates like this one. I am so happy for all of you. What wonderful birdie parents you are, you took the time to go at his pace. Rescuing is the only way to go!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny