Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#224278 - 08/10/10 06:08 PM CANDLES  
Brenda lee Offline
Brenda lee  Offline

Hi everyone,
Was at a fleamarket Sunday and this lady told me that her friend has a too and that you can't burn candles near the birds. Is this true? Thanks for your help. Angelina's Mom

#224279 - 08/10/10 06:22 PM Re: CANDLES [Re: Brenda lee]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

This is correct, honestly you dont want to use anything in your home that gives off scents. They are very toxic to birds.

Candles
Air fresheners
Carpet fresheners
Teflon
fabric dryer sheets
All cleaning products
Perfumes
Cigarettes
Polish Remover and Polish
Paints and Paint thinners

Rule of thumb in our home, is if it has a scent it is most likely not good for our birds. If you need to use any of the above products, please do so in a well ventilated room far away from your birds. Then you must make sure the room airs out completely before having your birds back in that air space.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#224281 - 08/11/10 12:03 AM Re: CANDLES [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
If you enjoy the odor of candles burning you can get the same affect by heating spices in water either on the stove or in the microwave. I was addicted to candles before I got the birds. I also hate stale odors in my home. I now use spices in the microwave all winter. Pumpkin Pie Spice is my favorite, also cloves.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#224402 - 08/15/10 07:16 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: BE2Cassie]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
This is a great thread. If expounded on .....might it not even achieve "sticky" status?
Anyone try other spices?

Maybe we have to many animals in a small place, or its the high humidity, but upon entering I can smell some foreign odors, I would love to eliminate or mask. On several occasions I have searched for the origin of said odors with no luck. (Maybe the cats' furniture- which would be a MPIA to remove and clean.)
I do use a professional steam/vapor cleaning system. However its a major job.
Of course our birds' cages & play gyms are cleaned and sanitized on a regular bases.

We gave away our new Tfall pots & pans (bought s/s), candles and incense, and I quit smoking (after 40 years), when we got the birds years ago.
[size:14pt][/size]

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#224405 - 08/15/10 07:53 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: The Rockster]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We use vinegar to clean everything in our home now, and it is really good at eliminating ALL odors. I too loved candles and such before having the knowledge of what they did to birds. We just simmer pots of cinnamon for that yummie scent in the home now. We have very dry climate here in the winter so it also helps to put some humidity back into the air also.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#224414 - 08/16/10 03:15 AM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I've never really liked air fresheners or candles as I'm quite allergic to scented things (perfume is by far the worst). So I had to figure out different ways to cut down on smells.

Keeping things clean, opening windows when weather permits, baking cookies (or anything yummy smelling) and growing herbs works well. I think I'll try simmering spices now too smile

#224423 - 08/16/10 06:11 AM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Cidsa]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Vinegar is what I normally use cleaning the bird room and every once in a while I will take a fresh lemon a squeeze it into my mop water

#224429 - 08/16/10 12:19 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: angelinasmom]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Of all the products I have tried to eleminate the odors, nothing has worked better than having my rugs cleaned. Just washed and dryed. I do need have carpeting in my house just large oriental rugs, large and small. They rugs are taken to the companies shop and steamed cleaned and sanitized.

For cleaning the birds room and cages, I use several different methods. Vinegar, bleach, Simple Green, Nolvasan, and pressure washing. The vinegar and Simple Green, I use about a 1/4 cup in a gallon of water. Bleach, just enough to where I can barely smell it in the water. The Nolvasan, about 2 ounces. The pressure washing is done outside so that is different.

#224439 - 08/16/10 06:35 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Elliott]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
That Simple Green can be some nasty stuff...........it makes me gag at full strength......no way is it gonna be used around the birds. Good for degreasing engines IMHO.
Our high end steamer/vapor system vaporizes fleas, flea eggs, and most other contaminates. At less than 6% water the vapor sterilizes, and drys fast, with no rusting of the bird cages. We use it on everything.......Berber carpet;toaster ovens;sinks;furniture; just with tap water.

In any case, we are going to try the pumpkin pie spice.
[size:11pt][/size]

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#224444 - 08/16/10 07:54 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: The Rockster]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
The Simple Green is what my Avian Vet suggested I used for cleaning purposed like floors and an all purpose cleaner.You may find the smell putrid but it is very safe for use around the birds.I always however crack the window when using it and it is never full strength I dilute it more that the recommended strength.I use very little...not even a cap full in my cleaning water.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#224445 - 08/16/10 08:07 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Janny]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I use diluted Simple Green as well. I love the anise (licorice) smell! I do use it mostly for outdoor application and reserve vinegar for indoors cleaning.

#224446 - 08/16/10 08:25 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Mostly vinegar here as well, but Simple Green also. My AV's office uses Simple Green exclusively.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#224449 - 08/16/10 09:28 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: EchosMom]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Interesting................I would never of guessed that Simple Green would be suggested as a good cleaner especially by avian techs. Most of the vets and high end aviaries in this area recommend this product. I used it for years and it IMOP is the best. At $30.00 + a gallon, I had to give it up. Its sold in different sizes in every serious bird shop in this town. The enzymes make any cleanup a simple matter of wiping up.

http://www.avitec.com/Cage-Cleaners-and-Bird-Disinfectants-s/3.htm

Now,if Simple Green worked as well, who would buy this at the price?

We still use the Avi Bios Probiotic Supplement by Avitech. This company (from this town), has been on the forefront of avian product research.

Last edited by The Rockster; 08/16/10 09:40 PM.

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#224454 - 08/16/10 10:34 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: The Rockster]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
If one does frequent wipe downs, the "strength" of the cleaner is not a factor anyway. It is perfectly alright to use bleach and strong cleaners when outside pressure washing with large quantities of water. I'll go cheap everyday because I clean often.

#224455 - 08/16/10 10:49 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Charlie]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
We used to use Simple Green all the time. And it's an excellent cleaner. But after a false positive result on a sick bird sent us all into a tizzy, we've switched to Chlorohex. We use it for everything from cleaning cages and floors to sterilizing dishes. It's safe for the birds (dentists even use if for oral issues)and it kills almost every nasty bird disease bug there is. We spray it on newspapers before we pull them out of the grates, to cut down on the dust and dried feces. We use it in the water we use to wipe down the cages every day. We use it in the mop water daily, and we dunked the bird bowls in a solution before they are rinsed off. With as many people as we have visiting, and not knowing if they have sick birds at home, it's just safer to assume the worst and sterilize everything that comes into contact with our birds.

#224456 - 08/16/10 10:59 PM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Jacque]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yes, I should point out that I was addressing a household situation with one or two birds involved. That makes things much easier and biosecurity is not such a consideration. This is another reason that rescues and sanctuaries are being overwhelmed. The measures that you are discussing, Jacque, require more personnel, time and expense. Thank you for pointing that out! smile

#224463 - 08/17/10 02:48 AM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Charlie]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
Thanks for the clarification Charlie. At home I use exclusively vinegar and water, and then try and pressure wash outside at least once a month. I've found that doing a wipe down every night, and a heavier cleaning once a week, keeps everything, especially the dust, well under control.

#224467 - 08/17/10 04:07 AM Re: CANDLES- A GREAT READ [Re: Jacque]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Excellent point Charlie - biosecurity in a home AND closed environment is much different than that of a rescue/sanctuary or open environment.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny