Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#223636 - 07/22/10 09:35 PM Spoiled CAG  
Elena Offline
Elena  Offline

Georgia
During this past summer, my 18-month old African Grey has gotten into the habit of yanking his water dish out of its socket and dumping it on the cage floor. This makes me have to change the cage floor covering since I don't want all sorts of bacteria from growing in the water.

My husband thinks I should keep the cage and water bowls out of the cage except at certain intervals when the bird can get food/water. The problem is, how can I know when he wants food and when he doesn't? Another person suggested I get dishes which lock into place. I believe I have such dishes in his travel cage. You screw them in and the bowls can be twisted off. The problem is, the bird knows how to twist those off too. Any help would be appreciated. We will be going out of two for 8 hours on Saturday. If the bird knocks over his water while we're going, he won't have any for 8 hours.

Ellen

#223644 - 07/23/10 12:43 AM Re: Spoiled CAG [Re: Elena]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

My cag loves this game too! I buy the ceramic crocks that are too heavy for him to pick up. He loves to throw any dish, bowl or spoon...he cant pick up the crocks but he will try to rock them to get a little water out. His cage came with ceramic crock holders but I have seen them that come with the holders.
kim

#223645 - 07/23/10 12:58 AM Re: Spoiled CAG [Re: bellesmom]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Have you tried a water bottle? The big hefty glass ones (lixit is one company that makes these) would prevent water from getting all over constantly. I've also found the glass ones easier to clean and sterilize over the plastic ones. Just make sure your bird figures it out before leaving him for any amount of time.

The heavy ceramic dishes may work as well, of course, if your bird really loves this game he might find a way to toss them anyway.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny