Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219512 - 04/16/10 04:40 PM Sleep Tents???  
Lolitta Offline
Lolitta  Offline

Lexington, KY
I was wondering what everyones opinion on sleep tents are? I have heard they give the birds security, but I also heard they are dangerous??? Are they really? I am thinking of gettin one for Mango.. Im scared Ezzie will get in it and NEVER come out so she wont be getting one at all! I have small square areas about 5"x5" in the corners of their cages with a small fleecey blanket for them to snuggle with... Ive never seen Ezzie by hers, but Mango sleeps on his at night... Thanks!

Lolitta
Ezzie(RB2)Mango(caique)Kirah & Bella(dobie)Toots&Dayzee(yorkies)Katie(Aussie)RIP Radar!
#219520 - 04/16/10 05:32 PM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Lolitta]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I have never used one for the reason that they seem to much like a nest? I may be completely wrong on this, but I just try to avoid anything that might encourage that type of stimuli. Havent heard if they are dangerous though. I am sure someone here with more knowledge than I, will have better advice hehe.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#219539 - 04/17/10 02:07 AM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I have a sleep tent and can tell you what I know about them.

Firstly, you should probably try to avoid giving them to a female bird. It can seem like a safe enclosure, which could lead to egg-laying. If you really want some kind of hiding spot, you should get a tent that is bottomless and ties to the top of the cage (like this: http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/parrot/shop_details.php?prod=1781) or a swing with a hut on it (also bottomless).
If your bird is prone to laying, you should probably avoid an enclosure all together.

As for a male, it's okay but you need to watch a few things:
1) Watch out for tent deterioration, you don't want your bird to be caught. Trim any lose threads or pilling. You should replace it once it is worn out.
2) If your bird starts to become aggressive around the tent, you should remove it when the bird is away. This might be especially pronounced when hormone season is in full swing.

I also prefer the tents with a hard, cardboard or plastic (covered in fabric) bottom. The soft bottomed ones are okay with full supervision, but you can't watch your bird all night. I would also get a tent that is open on both sides, a closed back seems very dangerous to me.

The only bird of mine that uses a tent is my lovebird. He has a hard-bottomed one that is plain fabric on the outside and fleece on the inside, I check it reguarly for wear and I can wash it as well. I cannot remember the company at the moment, but it is a small one from the United States (everything is hand made). I think these would be pretty easy to make yourself if you can sew.

I have heard of accidents with sleep tents but they seem to be due to poor design (I think the Happy hut brand is the big culprit) and/or lack of maitenance. *ALL* of our birds toys can be dangerous, we have to inspect them regularly and supervise as much as possible to avoid injury, just like small children.

Last edited by Cidsa; 04/17/10 02:11 AM.
#219544 - 04/17/10 03:30 AM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Lolitta]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I would never recommend one of those for any kind of cockatoo or larger parrot for many reasons that Cidsa alluded to. There may be a place for them with the very small parrots and then only if you know your bird well! I can't think of any members that use them for cockatoos or larger parrots, it seems very risky to me.

#219553 - 04/17/10 01:28 PM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Charlie]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I agree that they are an unnecessary risk to take on all levels for the big guys!!!!
Do these guys have sleep cages?

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#219557 - 04/17/10 02:55 PM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Rukesmom]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I gave them to to big guys and they made great shredding toys for the day.

#219594 - 04/18/10 04:32 PM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Elliott]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Elliott
I gave them to to big guys and they made great shredding toys for the day.

LOL

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#219597 - 04/18/10 07:09 PM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Elliott]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
That's why they are not a good idea for the big guys. They can get a toe, leg or neck tangled in thread real easily and if you're not there when that happens, at a minimum you might lose a toe, at a maximum, you might lose your bird.

#219661 - 04/20/10 05:58 AM Re: Sleep Tents??? [Re: Charlie]  
Lolitta Offline
Lolitta  Offline

Lexington, KY
Well Ezzie doesnt have a "sleep" cage because I cant get her out of her day cage yet!! She refuses to come out and when I try to open the door she throws herself to the bottom of the cage. She is allowing me to cover it at night.... That took some time LOL I am using a pet taxi for Mangos sleep cage and he is doing very well! I read on here that you all use sleep cages,(so I started) but I have one question WHY? What purpose does it serve? I wont be getting a sleep tent for either of them, Ezzie would hang herself!! Mango Im sure would like another toy to swing from though, but I'll buy another rope swing .. Thanks

Lolitta
Ezzie(RB2)Mango(caique)Kirah & Bella(dobie)Toots&Dayzee(yorkies)Katie(Aussie)RIP Radar!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny