Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219335 - 04/13/10 06:17 PM My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques!  
Lolitta Offline
Lolitta  Offline

Lexington, KY
OK, So I was in my own little world Saturday, Stopped by a Pet Store to pick up a few toys for Ezzie, After spending 150.00 I was headed to my car when some younger woman stopped me ask what kind of bird I had?, she said she noticed I spent alot of money on bird and ask if they were all that expensive? After informing her that my bird was one of the least expensive to keep healthy and happpy, she stated that she had "purchased" this bird from the store 2wks ago, they said it was eating on its own and she hadnt been able to get it to eat hardly anything at all! She took it back in to try to get her money back, the owner offered her a quarter of what she had paid for him She told him she would give him away before she would allow him to have him back! SO she did just that, she gave him to me!! I loaded him up, kept him in my room away from Ezzie and yesterday took him to the Vet...Hes a black headed caique. He is about 4 mths old, the vet said to offer him feedings thru the syringe for a few more weeks..Just to help him adjust to everything hes gone thru and keep him healthy! He has had one of his toe nails ripped out so he has him on antibotics for a few days but other than that he seems healthy!!! I dont know what she wasnt doing, but hes eating EVERYTHING!! From nuts to dried fruits and likes corn, peas, broc and califlower?!?! Ive been taking his out before I add the seasoning to it and he sits on the bar and eats while we do!!! Ezzie is becoming nosey and walking toward the door of her cage to see what hes doing.... I dont allow him near "her" or her cage/corner! She screams if he flaps his wings! I read to never allow them our together so if hes out and not eating he can only play in my bedroom... Her cage is open allday just in case she wants to come out! Are caiques alot different than TOOS? Are their eating habits different? So far hes adjusting well! Im a bit overwhelmed right now I dont want him or her to suffer.. Can they both live in the same house but seperate rooms? I vacuum the living room everyday and keep the dust minimal as possible! Her cage is cleaned 2 sometimes 3 times a day! I am using her cage she was rescused in for him ( I dont know why I keep saying he or him.... I think its that black head throwing me off lol) Anyway any info you can give would be great...
I am naming him Mango!! His coloring is just like the color of a Mango!!

Thanks so MUCH!

PS I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from THAT store again!! I will not give that @#$%^ money to do this to people or animals again!! So names of any places you all buy foods and toys on line would be great too!

Lolitta
Ezzie(RB2)Mango(caique)Kirah & Bella(dobie)Toots&Dayzee(yorkies)Katie(Aussie)RIP Radar!
#219339 - 04/13/10 06:42 PM Re: My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques! [Re: Lolitta]  
Chewy_louie Offline
Chewy_louie  Offline

Congrats on taking this lil Caique in!!!!!!! He sounds really sweet. I don't know anythin bout them though other tthen the fact hat I loove them

#219340 - 04/13/10 07:26 PM Re: My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques! [Re: Lolitta]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Sounds like Mango got very lucky finding you! So glad to hear you got him/her to the vet right away. He also should be quarantined for at least 30 days, and even after that I would never allow them out of cage time in the same room. We have our Too "Ozzy" and five Tiels. We keep our Tiels in a separate room from Ozzy always. A Too can do a great deal of damage or kill a smaller bird easily. I dont have any specific info for a Caique, I have never been blessed to be a companion to one of them. Cant wait to see a pic of this wonderful lil guy! Good luck and keep us posted!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#219345 - 04/13/10 08:48 PM Re: My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques! [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I've got 2 black-headed caiques. Mine were both older when I got them (9 and 8 -- they're 15 and 12 now) so I can't help much with baby stuff.

If you google "caique site" and then go to The Main Caique Manual from the first hit, or just click on the second link, is a pretty good source of information. Especially read "Other Pets" and "Biting" Also, "Escaped" the middle of the second paragraph, which gives great insight into how they are different from most parrots.

Caiques generally are a much bigger handful than their small size would indicate. The good thing is that they tend to be very expressive, so pay attention to their body language! They seem to be more susceptible to behavior swings due to their diet (e.g. a good diet seems even more important for steady behavior than with other species).

My caiques are a ton of fun, but one was kept in a covered cage for 24 hours for at least several months because of his noise, and another was not let out of his cage for at least 9 months because his family was terrified of him.

They are very smart and do really well with clicker/trick training. This also helps you to get a better handle on his body language, which will become so important as he ages!

If you have more specific questions, ask away!

#219349 - 04/13/10 10:05 PM Re: My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques! [Re: Beeps]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I don't have Caiques myself, but the youngest Caiques I interacted with were little scamps. They were escape artists and would get into a lot of trouble. They also tended to play really hard, I think some people might mistake it as a fight. They'd pounce on each other and roll around, one time they rolled right off their cage. They seemed like they had endless energy, they were far more active than a lot of other parrots.

There is a Caique book that isn't too bad, it's called "Those Crazy Caiques". It has a lot of general parrot info, but a lot of specifics too. It's not a very lengthy book though, so you might want to find it at a library.

#219378 - 04/14/10 04:44 PM Re: My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques! [Re: Cidsa]  
Lolitta Offline
Lolitta  Offline

Lexington, KY
I have been reading about caiques on several websites, One thing I have read is they have very strong wills! Mango is already spoiled, I let him out for about 2hrs in the mornings, then when I go to feed and clean Ezzies cage I put him back in, Well if I walk by his cage she squeaks and follows me to everyside I go on, (wanting back out of course) Last night I was sitting on the bed (he'd been out about 5 hrs) he quickly went to the bottom of the cage and looked under the seed catcher and attempted to try to squeeze thru there!! I jumped up and opened his door and her almost ran to the door... Now if I dont get him out he "acts" like hes gonna do it again!! Talk about SMART! I wedged a perch in there so he cant fit smile He is VERY active!! He has already been chewing up his toys! Hes almost destroyed a perch! I have a picture of him but Im not sure how to load in on here (?) I am considering buying him another cage like Ezzies.. The top opens up and it has 2 side doors and a huge front door! Its also a much bigger cage. Thanks for your input!! I will update soon!!

Lolitta
Ezzie(RB2)Mango(caique)Kirah & Bella(dobie)Toots&Dayzee(yorkies)Katie(Aussie)RIP Radar!
#219380 - 04/14/10 05:02 PM Re: My wknd was !@#$^&% Need Info on Caiques! [Re: Cidsa]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I thought of something else last night as I was playing with my caiques (and it's too late to edit my other post). They are nuts about toys! I've heard this about other caiques, too. Mine have personalities as different as night and day (If I wrote behavior descriptions of them, you'd think they were different species), but both of them love to play with 4 or more toys at a time. They'll be hanging with one foot on two different toys while attacking 2 or more other toys within reach. Toys with multiple hanging parts are ideal. Mine also do a lot of chipping of 2X4 pine slices and other shreddables.

They also both love swings and boings. And baths! We joke that one in particular is half-fish.

I get many of their toys from Grey Feather toys; here are some of their favorites (go to the search tab and click "exact match"):

Birdy Bella, Baby Possession, Stainless Steel Jingle Bell, Tinker Bell, Skadaddle

Those will give you the idea of what mine like.

As for whether he can be in the same room as your too, all of my birds are in the same room (2 caiques, 2 greys, severe macaw, budgie). The big thing is being sure that no one can escape from their cage to get the other when you're not there. And vigilent supervision if one or both are out. One of my caiques escaped from his cage, went to the other caique's cage, and they attacked each other's feet while I was at work last year, so they had to spend the night at the emergency hospital. They were OK, but we had to resecure cages as caiques can be escape artists!

Also, eating habits, mine will both eat pretty much everything, like you've experienced. They love food! They tend to be much less picky than most other species of parrot (though there are exceptions, of course). It was super easy to switch them to noncolored pellets -- I just put the pellets in their dish and they devoured them the first day!

And Cidsa is right about the energy. Mine are teenagers, and still go nonstop. An exercise program really helps with this. One of mine is a really good flyer, and he'll frequently do laps around the house just to let off energy.

They also tend to be quite beaky and do something called surfing which is thought to be displacement leaf bathing behavior. You'll want to work on setting limits early and making sure he understands appropriate beak pressure. It's really easy to inadvertently teach a caique to be a biter by providing an exciting reaction to beak pressure, thereby reinforcing it. Both of mine seem to get contentment out of gently gnawing on my fingers. They both know what is appropriate pressure and I closely watch their body language (especially their flashing eyes!)

Enjoy him! Caiques have the reputation for being clowns, and that is certainly true of the ones I have. They are similar to toos in that they are too much parrot for most people to handle!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny