Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#218641 - 03/29/10 06:47 AM Re: Hi Everyone, Im back!! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

Hi Guys,
Some further tests have been done with Zen and it is confirmed his vision is not good enough for him to be released.
We are desperately trying to place him with an eagles heritage sanctuary down south - problem is, it is very common for wedgetails to come in and not a lot of places that take them in.
To be honest, a heck of a lot of people can't 'handle' wild eagles - they can be extremely dangerous - the Perth Zoo said outright 'no'. A handler there got attacked by an imprinted eagle when he was feeding him...the eagle flew at him, talons first when he enetered the enclousure and pinned him to the side of the cage - talons went through his arm and pinned him to the wire behind. Guy was in a very bad way, eagle had to be sedated with a gun before he could be rescued and he had to be hospitalised. They dont have any eagles there anymore. If you ask me - the person feeding was obviously at fault in some way - you NEVER show an eagle food in your hand(as he did) or they will attack you to get it.
Anyway...Ive been trying to convice this place down south that Zen woulod be suitable as a lifelong resident due to his nature - he would tolerate people coming (tourists) in close to his cage etc and so far has shown very little agression. They are very experieneced with eagles down there, fingers crossed.
Will post on Puffin v soon - am trying to find some photos of him!!
Anita

#218642 - 03/29/10 11:09 AM Re: Hi Everyone, Im back!! [Re: anitamarie942]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Zen finds a home at the sanctuary. I agree with you it was the handlers error that caused the attack. All too often when you hear of a keepers attack it was through either their own or anothers lack of thought and planning.
People used to ask me if I was frightened when entering animal areas. I always answered yes and the day I'm not is the day I don't belong being a keeper. A touch of fear/healthy respect is a good incentive to stay on your toes.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny