Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217710 - 02/27/10 03:25 AM Madison is flying free today  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
Madison, our sad little boy has gone over the rainbow bridge this morning. What happened we can only guess and go by the clues. As every morning the birds were uncovered and cages were opened except for Buddy my U2. We know he can be dangerous around other birds so we always kept a very sharp eye on him. This morning I heard Buddy screaming like I never heard him before. I went upstairs, opened the door to their room and to my shock, he was on the floor, feathers blown out just screaming non-stop. My son and I went into the room, he picked Buddy up and saw that Buddy moved the floor grid on his cage and got out. I checked the other birds, all seemed fine but noticed, where is Madison? All of a sudden I heard my son going NO NO NO and I turned and there Madison was. He was already gone. My worst fears came true, Buddy killed Madison. I picked Madison up and for the first time in 4 years, I held him. The things that were going through my mind. I couldn't didn't want to believe that my Buddy actually killed another bird. We examine the room, Madison and Buddy to figure out what happened. The first thing I noticed that Madison's neck was broken, I looked at the 3 wounds on his head and noticed there was very little blood. I examine the floor, the walls, no blood. I would of expected to see some blood somewhere with the type of wounds Madison had. But nothing. No blood on Buddy except for his feet and when I examined them more closely I saw that both of Buddy's feet had cuts. Madison was a very very skittish bird and had flight. I didn't want to clip him, so he can have as much freedom as he wanted. Buddy was clipped so if he ever did get loose he could not fly to the other birds. From what we can put together it looks like Buddy got out of his cage, climbed up the macaw cage where he got his feet bitten. That is probably when he started screaming which we think scared Madison and he panicked and flew into the wall at full force and that broke his neck. He fell to the floor which at the time Buddy must of jumped on him doing 3 bites and then backed away and just stood there screaming. I don't know, I can only guess because the wounds did not bleed at all and from my knowledge if Madison was alive at the times of those bites, he would of bleed but if he died instantly then that would of explained why the wounds did not bleed at all. Or maybe I am just hoping that was the case because its too painful for me to think that Buddy actually killed him. I will never know the full story behind Madison's death, I can only go by clues left behind.

We brought Madison in our home around 4 years ago. He was a badly abused goffin, blind in one eye due to a punch to the head, two toes cut off and only Madison knows what else happened. For all the years we had him, we showered him with love but to no avail. He was always terrified and believed the blows would come. I said his spirit was broken and my family and I tried so hard to show him that life can be good but all failed. All I can hope for is that Madison is now in peace, where he is not frighten all the time.

Rest in peace Madison, you deserve that much!!

Last edited by Stormy; 02/27/10 03:31 AM.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#217713 - 02/27/10 03:37 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Stormy]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
So sorry to hear about Madison and it probably happened just the way you visualized it. No matter how careful we are, accidents do happen. I'll think of Madison flying high and fearless, at last.

Pat

One Day At A Time
#217714 - 02/27/10 03:44 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
RIP Madison. Fly high,free, unfettered and without fear.

John

#217717 - 02/27/10 04:28 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Stormy]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
What a terrible accident, but it was just that, an accident. Madison probably had more peace and tranquility during his four years with you than he had ever experienced. He had a flock to live with. I hope you won't blame yourself much because things do happen, even in the wild. May you rest in peace, Madison.

#217720 - 02/27/10 04:54 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Charlie]  
dirtgirl2009 Offline
dirtgirl2009  Offline

canada
how sad. frown
rest in peace, madison, you deserve it.

gail, pearl(g2), bert(alex), and deaja(my little 'too mutt)
#217721 - 02/27/10 05:15 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: dirtgirl2009]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Terri I'm so sorry. Madison was so lucky to have found his way into your family. Even though the fear was there I think he knew he was in a place he was loved and well cared for. He's fear free now.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#217724 - 02/27/10 05:42 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
My sincere sympathy to you and your family.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#217729 - 02/27/10 06:39 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: EchosMom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I am so sorry.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#217732 - 02/27/10 07:05 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Chewy]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm certain Madison felt at least some ease from being with you, even if he was never able to get over his fears. I think from how you describe it, it's very likely that Buddy did not kill Madison, for what little comfort it gives.

Rest in Peace Madison.

#217733 - 02/27/10 07:11 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Chewy]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
My deepest sympathy to you and your son, Terri. Your little Madison is now free to fly the blue sky from dawn to dusk.
He may have shown fear, but I believe he felt your love.

Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#217737 - 02/27/10 02:09 PM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Ladyhutch]  
Rocky From Oz Offline
Rocky From Oz  Offline

South Australia
My sympathies to you and your family.
Madison was a lucky bird to end his days in a home where he was shown love, compassion and caring.

~ Mrs Max & Rocky ~
#217740 - 02/27/10 03:35 PM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Rocky From Oz]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Oh Stormy I am so very sorry for your loss and terror...I really don't believe that it was Buddy that did this and I hope you do as well. In my heart I believe that Madison would have flown away from him before Buddy would have gotten to him. I think you are right in what you believe happened. I really hope you don't blame yourself for this...it really was an accident. Please you need to know this isn't your fault.

Fly free Madison may your wings glide you through the sun filled skies and may your worst fears be put to rest...

(((((Hugs to All)))))

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#217741 - 02/27/10 05:11 PM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Janny]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Oh I am so sorry, Terri! My sincere sympathies to you and your family! I, too, feel you have assessed the situation correctly and that it was not Buddy who killed Madison. Fly free, sweet Madison... I am sure he felt your love these past 4 years he lived with you.

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#217775 - 02/28/10 03:47 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: MissYumYum]  
myjujubird Offline
myjujubird  Offline

nc
Terri, so sorry for your loss. You are wonderful people to have kept trying to give love to Madison, I am sure he loved you too.

#217776 - 02/28/10 04:20 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: myjujubird]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. We have gone over what happened over and over again trying to make sense of this. Years ago we decided to let Madison's wings grow out so he would have flight and hopefully some confidence. We also realized how Buddy reacted to other birds so we thought if the worst would happen that Madison would be able to fly to a safe place. I never thought this would happen. Maybe because Madison was blind in one eye that his judgment was off, I don't know. Our hearts are so heavy with sadness for all we wanted to do was give Madison a safe place and we feel we failed him.

Buddy has been very upset over this. He is constantly looking for Madison, screaming, calling out. He is going to Madison's cage, climbing up to the top pacing back and forth with his crest up screaming, looking down at the floor, peering down the corners to see if Madison is there. He climbs into the cage and rips the paper up looking underneath clucking his beak mumbling away until he gets so upset that he starts screaming again. I try to get him from the cage and he lashes out at me and just circles the top of the cage screaming. I am so sure he knows that Madison is gone and I don't know how to comfort him now. I think I will remove Madison's cage into another room to see if that will calm him down.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and the only thing that is giving me some peace now is that Madison is whole again, flying strong and most of all, he is not frightened any longer, that he is at peace.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#217791 - 02/28/10 05:20 PM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Stormy]  
twister Offline
twister  Offline

Eastern Oregon
A few years ago my cockatiel passed away and her friend, another cockatiel named Sparky, was inconsolable. I remembered reading in a cockatiel care book that birds grieve, so I got the book out and was looking for the information. Sparky saw the book. On the cover was a large picture of a cockatiel. He started "talking" to it and for about 3 years the picture on the cover comforted him. Just a thought. Maybe it will help Buddy if you can show him a picture of Madison, or a similar bird. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you feel better soon. Madison is free.

#218521 - 03/24/10 08:08 PM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: twister]  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

Terri, I'm so sorry. You have my deepest sympathy. I think you are right about the way it happened.

We do the best we can for our birds and sometimes accidents happen. And that's what this was, an accident. Please don't think that you've failed him. You gave him a good life in your home.

#218533 - 03/25/10 05:50 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Birdiemommy]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
i'm sooo sorry for you loss. he is free now and flying high.
helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#218540 - 03/25/10 03:00 PM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: tristian]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I am so sorry for your pain and your loss. I agree that it was a terrible accident and only an accident. Perhaps Buddy was even trying to pick him up/ wake him up. I feel for him too...
Please give yourself and your family creidt for the wonderful years you did give Madison. They were likely as close to heaven as he ever came,till now. he is smiling down on you and thankful for the safety and love you gave him after others had not...
I would likely beat myself up over it too (have before) but it does none of you or your flock good.
You and Buddy should look at that picture of madison together and know he is flying free....
Tania

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#218585 - 03/27/10 03:13 AM Re: Madison is flying free today [Re: Rukesmom]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I am also sorry for your loss and can understand how painful the loss is. Sending you love and hugs and caring from another U2 mom. Wishing Madison free flight and the best of everything at the Rainbow Bridge.

Blessings to you and your flock!

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny