Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#217306 - 02/19/10 04:13 PM I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Hi, I'm 14 year old Victoria. I have a female Ducorps cockatoo, Cindy.

First off let me explain to you, she was abused and we got her from a rescuer [Who, in my eye, had WAY too many birds.] The rescuer became ill and we purchased Cindy for about 600 Dollars. [Which is good, because since they're rare they cost alot.] Well, my daddy dearest didn't tell me we were getting her so I couldn't research her species and we didn't know she screamed. That's what I can't get people to understand, I didn't know she was coming.

I'm not new to the loud, exotic bird family who were abused, we also have 2 amazon parrots who we got from different rescuers, and they are LOUD.

My problem is Cindy will sit and scream all day. Now mind you, I don't even notice it anymore. She's in my room so I'm used to it, but it bugs my mom alot.
I'm not trying to eleminate her loudness, I actually was wondering if there was anyway I could take the screaming and make it, sort of whisling, or singing. Our parrots have a full vocabulary, but she doesn't talk.at all.

Well Cindy also is attached to me and will attack anyone else who tries to touch her. If someones over I have to calm her down because she will FREAK OUT. And because of her attach ment to me. She will try to breed with me, litterally. I have a video of what she does, but I can't find my USB cord to upload it.
What she does is she get on my laps or somewhere like that, throws her head back, opens her mouth, and starts to "Gag" sorta, bobbing her head. Of course, I thought she was having a seizure but the vet said she was trying to, er, make me her mate.
I was wondering if there is anything I can do to stop the bredding behavior.

#217307 - 02/19/10 05:13 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Yes, there is something you can do about both behaviours. The second one is simple. Limit your handling of her at certain times of the year. I do not touch my Toos except on the head and feet right now because they are exhibiting breeding behaviour. Excessive cuddling with a Too is not a good thing at any time of the year so limit touching and focus on some training behaviour. The Ducorps are very smart birds so teach her some tricks. Go to this web site and you will find some free downloads on screaming, etc.

www.goodbirdinc.com

How is her cage set up? What does her day consist of? Is she in your bedroom all the time? Does she sleep in there? How much completely uninterupted sleep is she getting every night? What do you feed her every day?

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#217316 - 02/20/10 01:34 AM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
I would love to saee some pics of your Ducorps...can you post them?

#217463 - 02/22/10 06:46 AM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: GregM]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Sorry for late reply, been sick.

I try to give her 8 hours of "Outside" time. Usually betwee 12-8 PM, or unless she gets tired. She is in my room, and will only allow me to hold her and will attack others. And, her sleep is usually between 9 and 9 [When I wake up] I'm online schooled so I am able to spend time with her. :] I cook food for her, pasta [no sause] chicken, and other food that the groomer [Who has a store full of her own birds.] told me was safe. The cage is big enough for me to get in [I'm 4'9"] if I kind of squat.

Sadly, she's a feather picker too and it's making me feel guilty. I've spent over 50$ all together grooming her [Beak, wings, and talons] and toys. She has a whole cage full of toys. Right now, to her it's either my hair or her feathers she needs in her mouth. I'm letting her have my hair. She's plucking at her blood feathers. I've heard of birds bleeding to death from this, so I'm thinking of plucking them [There is about four.] At the base with some tweezers. She's bleeding and it's scaring me.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/Sammiis_photobucket/MeCindySammiiandDaja005.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/Sammiis_photobucket/MeCindySammiiandDaja004.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/Sammiis_photobucket/MeCindySammiiandDaja003.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/Sammiis_photobucket/MeCindySammiiandDaja002.jpg

She loves being upside down, also her picture is in my profile.

#217467 - 02/22/10 12:12 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet.. Have you had your bird in to see an avian vet for a full workup yet? This is very important, especially since she is plucking. Ruling out any sort of medical problem should be the first step. Try to seek out an actual avian vet and not just a general dog and cat vet. This may be difficult as avians are a highly specialized field, there is a list around here somewhere (anyone have it on hand?)

Definitely avoid yanking the blood feathers unless you absolutely have to. Tika's Dad has an excellent video of a first-aid seminar, which covers blood feathers here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLcYwdIAZRk

I'd also discuss food with your vet as well. Meats are generally not needed and many shouldn't be fed at all (red meat, etc), although some can be fed very sparingly. I have pellets (Harrisons or Roudybush) out at all times for my birds, which provides that extra bit of nutrition to balance their diet out (my birds are all picky picky). There are lots of great recipes on this forum as well (and the main website).

Hope some of that helps you a little, I'm sure other members here will have more information for you.

Last edited by Cidsa; 02/22/10 12:13 PM.
#217475 - 02/22/10 04:59 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: Cidsa]  
dirtgirl2009 Offline
dirtgirl2009  Offline

canada
i have a goffin that picks at her feathers quite badly. you don't want to be plucking them yourself. keep some cornstarch handy to pack on a bleeding feather to stop the blood if it happens. at least it gives you a chance to get it under control if you have any distance to go to get to your vet.

gail, pearl(g2), bert(alex), and deaja(my little 'too mutt)
#217479 - 02/22/10 06:30 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dirtgirl2009]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
We don't hae an avian anywhere around us, They had a new hospital open for all animals [IE birds, dogs, cats.] So I'm going to call them to get her looked at.

I'll have to use my money [Since my birds] And since I'm not allowed to go down the street or anything I'm going to need to do extra chrours.

I don't feed her red meat, I heard that could make her sick.
What I ment by meat was Chicken, turkey. And I give her rice, mashed patatos, egg whites.

Our money isn't that tight but mom wants me to learn how to care for animals at top priority, and that includes me buying them things. I get 100 every tax season, five for teeth [Have a small mouth so dentists have removed wisdom teeth, need more] and 20 per month per chore. I also get paid to do my brothers chores [He never does them] I think I have enough to take her to the vet.

And I wanted to yank them because she's causing herself to bleed by trying to yank them herself, and it makes me feel so bad. She shows she's in obvious pain, because when she touches them she pulls back and tires again.

:[..

#217480 - 02/22/10 06:42 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Dekto, what you need to understand is that if she pulls them herself, there is nothing you can do about that. A bird will not bleed to death from a blood feather. I've lost count of how many I've had to deal with and never had to pull one. Usually pressure will stop the bleeding. If that doesn't work, corn starch also Clotisol. Pulling her feathers will hurt her, do you want her to not trust you anymore. She needs to be seen by a vet and get a complete work up.

Are you prepared to pull out every feather she has because she picks at them? You might be reinforcing this behaviour.

Bev

#217484 - 02/22/10 07:29 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: ZazuSally]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Okay thank you.
I got an appointment with a vet.

#217486 - 02/22/10 07:49 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
What makes me upset is, here [I don't know if everywhere] Her species is rare.. Why would someone abuse a rare bird? It's doesn't make sense, they are expensive, why get one just to hit? Why hit an animal in the first place?

#217487 - 02/22/10 08:02 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Why do you say she was abused? My Zazu is looking pretty ratty right now. I bought her from a university student 10 years ago. She was never abused, ignored yes but not abused. She started plucking when she turned 8. She will be 15 the end of this year. Ducorp are not as rare as you think.

Screaming and biting are behaviours reinforced by humans who don't understand the way behaviour works. They blame the bird and sometimes take their frustration out on the bird. I would like to see them do the same thing to a grizzly or a lion.

Now is the time for you to learn about your bird and to move forward. Feeling sorry for her will get you nowhere.

Have your read the behaviour forum?

Bev

#217492 - 02/22/10 08:13 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: ZazuSally]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Well, we got her from a old women who had five birds in one cage. And about 20 cages. The lady said she "Rescued." Cindy when she found her with someone who never fed her, always beat her, the works. The lady who we got her from was old and ill, so she was going to give almost all her birds away.
I was only 12 when I got Cindy, so I didn't know that she was abusing Cindy in a way.
And I would never, ever, scream at, beat, or do anything when she screams and bites. I calmly put her in her cage, tell her "No." and cover her up for about 10 minutes, get her out and reward her if she's good, and repeat if she's bad.
I know I'm not the best owner, I didn't have time to research her. My dad decided to get her for me and my mom as a present [He researched her without us knowing.] One day we were at the pets store getting some treats for my parrots [rescued] and then next thing we new we were headed to get a bird.

::Edit::
And when I mean rare, I don't mean extremelly, I just mean uncommon.

Last edited by dekto; 02/22/10 08:16 PM.
#217495 - 02/22/10 08:51 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Dekto, I did not mean to imply that you were abusing her in any way. I can see that you care for her because you are here.

But when she screams and bites, you are reinforcing that behaviour by getting her and putting her in her cage, if it is your attention she is after. If what you were doing was working, you wouldn't have to do it so many times, right? How much is she screaming and how often are you taking a bite?

Bev

#217496 - 02/22/10 08:56 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: ZazuSally]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
She screams when I leave the room, even to get a drink.
And I know, I just wanted to clarify. And call my Victoria, Dekto is a name I made up when I was 11. And I take a bite when she wants something [IE my phone] And when I don't give it to her she throws a tantrum.
I've been told to go pick her up when she's screaming
I've been told to ignoure her til it stops then praise her
I don't know what to do :S
I don't think it's healthy at all for her to scream like this, I don't know if it's from her past or what.

#217497 - 02/22/10 08:59 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
She also bites me when something scares her. A glass of water, a spoon. She used to full on attack me when I had a can of soda or my glasses on. She stopped the glasses... I don't drink sodas around her.

#217498 - 02/22/10 09:14 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Victoria, she continues to scream because it is being reinforced. Once you go to pick her up or tell her to stop, you have reinforced it. The best thing way to deal with screaming is to not let it start in the first place but once it starts, you must ignore it because if you go and pick her up, you have just taught her that screaming will get her what she wants - you. Make sense?

Good move with the soda!!!

Victoria, can you do me a favour and go to www.goodbirdinc.com and ask to be sent the free downloads on behaviour issues such as screaming. Have you read the articles in the behaviour section?

We can work on these behaviours if you want but one at a time and you should do the other things first just to get a bit more information on behaviour.

Bev

#217499 - 02/22/10 09:28 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: ZazuSally]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Will do.
No I haven't, I look for it now. Going to that site now

#217500 - 02/22/10 09:29 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
And that makes alot more sense than what people have been telling me. Thank you!

#217501 - 02/22/10 09:45 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
dekto Offline
dekto  Offline

Greensboro, NC
I just read the reinforcing the behavior, The only other nose she makes is Kissing sound. I'll try that one

#217502 - 02/22/10 10:10 PM Re: I have two problems with my ducorps cockatoo [Re: dekto]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
And Victoria, when it comes to a bird screaming, we will always lose so best not to let them get to that point, OK. Human ears are not meant to listen to a bird in a full blown scream fest. I make sure that doesn't happen at my place and I don't have birds glued to my body either unless I'm watching TV and then it's OK. That's bird time. Fill up the attention tank before the bird starts telling you (screaming) that you aren't spending enough time with me. Teach Cindy some tricks. Those Ducorp are really smart and she will pick stuff up in no time.

Bev

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny