Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#214261 - 12/29/09 04:50 AM NO SHOULDERS!  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I am really tiring of hearing post after post of birds, especially large cockatoos, on shoulders. I have been bitten once by my GSC2 in ten years. She was on my shoulder and bit clean through my ear when my father approached me. Do I still do it? Occasionally, after all these years. Can you do it and get away with it? Maybe, and you gamble every time you do, just as I do. If you think you know and trust your bird this well, that's fine, carry on, just do not post away about your cockatoo on your shoulder. We have new members and lurkers here every day and they do not need to be reading these things and thinking they are fine, they are alright. This is the easiest way there is for people to have their faces rearranged, lose an eye or a lip or an ear, and I don't want any part of contributing to that. Please think about the people that read your post. We are here to help, not put someone's eye out! Thanks.

#214262 - 12/29/09 05:01 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I know what you mean Charlie and thanks so much for making this post!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#214263 - 12/29/09 05:05 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Charlie]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Thank you, Charlie. You didn't even mention what I consider the most horrible part of the story: All the birds who will be "gotten rid of" or confined to cages or ignored and neglected just for doing something birds do. I don't know who said it first, but it might be true: You never feel the same way about a bird after facial surgery. Most people don't understand and respect their birds enough to keep and love and treat them well, no matter what happens. Don't let such things happen, people.

P.S. Even if you think you will be fine with getting bitten, do you really want to defend the bird to your family and others all the time? It is such a hassle!! Charlie did not even mention how LONG a bite on the ear hurts, even after it has visibly healed smile . Maybe it is a cartilage thing...

Last edited by Birdfriend; 12/29/09 05:32 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#214265 - 12/29/09 05:55 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Birdfriend]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
My CAG spends a lot of time on my shoulder but she is not a Too. She will take little nips of my ear but she is learning to be more polite. I would be extremely hesitant to let a Cockatoo on my shoulder. The whole ear thing would be a whole lot more dire and I might not have much ear left before politeness set in.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#214274 - 12/29/09 08:26 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Birdfriend]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Very well said, Birdfriend! It can change a relationship forever or cause a bird to be homeless. Excellent point that I did not address. All facial bites will be painful, hopefully they are not disfiguring.

#214279 - 12/29/09 01:20 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Charlie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
No one gets shoulder time here. I like my ears and such and want to keep them intact. I'm even uneasy having the Quaker on my shoulder.

#214281 - 12/29/09 07:32 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Elliott]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I completely agree with the No Shoulder policy. I love and trust Ozzy very much. He is very gentle with me and has never bitten...except for the one time he flew on my shoulder and immediately bit my ear, before I could remove him. He broke the skin on both sides and boy did that hurt for days after.

My Mothers little conure was on my shoulder years ago, and bit my earring and took off with it. Not only did it rip my ear a bit, but I had to chase him down to retrieve the earring back. I was afraid of him swallowing it or hurting himself on the post. I still have that earring today and it is completely dented in by that little beak lol.

My Fathers Macaw bit completely through his ear when startled once, while on his shoulder. He was startled and lost his footing and was trying to hold on and grabbed my fathers ear. A bird that had never bit anyone before.

Small or large, there are dangers of having a bird on your shoulder. Not only dangers for us, but for them as well.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#214285 - 12/29/09 08:24 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
I believe itís important to keep Emmy where I can see her. When she lands on my shoulder I matter-of-factly remove her to an appropriate spot. Before I found mytoos, I got several nips on the ear and a scratch on the cheek when she was on my shoulder and something startled her. I would hate to experience a real good bite on the face. The bite pictures here are warnings to be taken seriously.

#217679 - 02/26/10 04:30 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: emmy]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Bumping up!!!!

Jan

#217681 - 02/26/10 06:55 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Janny]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

No shoulder birds at my house......not even the nice ones.

#217702 - 02/27/10 01:51 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Winter's mom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Winter's mom
No shoulder birds at my house......not even the nice ones.

I have now joined the club...O was always docile and was taught to live on shoulders so when I took him in I allowed it...not anymore...fortunately it was just an ear bite and I am lucky I did not turn my head into her path or it could have been my eye...

I have concluded they are inherently unpredictable so no more shoulders for me...she is quickly adapting to the "block" technique that Bev taught me and will remain on my forearm...

#217706 - 02/27/10 02:15 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: GregM]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I am glad to hear GregM and it is too bad as humans we have to learn the hard way... wink

Jan

#217731 - 02/27/10 06:49 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Janny]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
My Hahns (Pebbles) was a shoulder bird, we're slowly teaching her she's not allowed there anymore. I think she knows she's not allowed, but still wants to so we have to be creative in blocking/distracting her.

My tiels will sometimes jump onto my shoulders, which is okay if Pebbles can't see. They don't like to stay there though, they just jump on to demand a head scratch.

#217736 - 02/27/10 07:28 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Winter's mom]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Angelina was a shoulder bird when I got her, It took a year or so to get her off. this girl could run up a dropped arm so fast you didnt know what to do. Sad to say I think because of this my firsr years with her were spent in fear, I was afraid of a face bite or eye injury, I loved her but didnt trust her. She never bit me during that time I spent readjusting her to a place below my shoulder, but I felt that once I was able to keep her in a place I felt comfortable, I had more control of the relationship and it also gave me the opportunity to let her have more freedom. Ps, just a while ago, got my first bite from angelina in five years, Wow, Im glad that wasnt on my face

#217780 - 02/28/10 08:21 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: angelinasmom]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
And the people that feel the need to kiss their birds beak. The last thing I want to do is offer up my lips for a kiss, especially to my GW. grin

#217796 - 02/28/10 07:19 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: GregM]  
pineview01 Offline
pineview01  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: GregM
[quote=Winter's mom]
I have concluded they are inherently unpredictable so no more shoulders for me...she is quickly adapting to the "block" technique that Bev taught me and will remain on my forearm...

Greg what is the block Bev taught you? I looked back and couldn't find it.

My flock: Stewy-Tiel, Sky-B&G, Newton, Ping & Pong-OWA's,Don Juan-YNA, Cody & Rocky-U2's, Merlin-M2
#217799 - 02/28/10 07:27 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: pineview01]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Here is the quote pineview01:

Originally Posted By: ZazuSally
You block from going to the shoulder. Opposite hand to the one bird is on, hold like you were hitch-hiking. Then straighten fingers. Tilt hand at a 45 degree angle and place in the middle of your arm between shoulder and elbow. Hold about 1 inch off of arm. That will block the bird from being able to go to your shoulder.

#217802 - 02/28/10 07:36 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: Doubleyolk]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Doubleyolk
And the people that feel the need to kiss their birds beak. The last thing I want to do is offer up my lips for a kiss, especially to my GW. grin

Damn, I am still guilty of that...and I also know that snuggling into smell Buddi's plummage after a bath is going to backfire on me someday too..

And the block work likes a charm...

Last edited by GregM; 02/28/10 07:37 PM.
#217828 - 03/01/10 01:39 AM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: GregM]  
twister Offline
twister  Offline

Eastern Oregon
Both my birds are flighted. I can keep my bird off my shoulder, but if an (untrained) guest comes over and wants to visit the birds, they immediately fly to their shoulders or top of the head. To allow visitors and to prevent injury, I use a small laundry basket over the head of the guest. It prevents the chance of a facial bite, allows for interaction, and is big enough to cover the shoulders so neither bird can land there. It looks rather silly, but better safe than sorry! I've discovered that even though my birds obey me very well, they don't miss any opportunity to break the rules. If I have a bird-sitter, they also get to wear leather gloves and a heavy canvas jacket while tending them. I just can't risk a bite to a friend or family member. The birds seem to ignore the person inside this elaborate costume, and so the risk is small, and adds a level of awareness for the guest. So far so good.

#217969 - 03/03/10 01:47 PM Re: NO SHOULDERS! [Re: twister]  
YondoToo Offline
YondoToo  Offline

Sweden
My Meyers parrot is allowed on the shoulder, but she is so tiny. She has bitten my ear and cheek a few times, but since she's so small there isn't any permanent damage.

I used to let my MSC2 on the shoulder before, but not anymore. I deem it as just too dangerous. I want my face intact. wink

...and there is a world of difference between supporting aviculture and supporting birds.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny