Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213851 - 12/19/09 08:39 AM Enter the Drama Queen.......  
ThorsMom Offline
ThorsMom  Offline

Pikeville, Tennessee
I knew it was too good to be true....

I just jinxed myself but good. Here I was reading about all the hormonal issues going on, and thinking I was pretttty lucky that sweet little Thor wasn't having such big problems. Yep, I just jinxed everything.

Someone changed cockatoos on me. The M2 DRAMA QUEEN in the cage is not the one I was currently under the impression that I somewhat understood. Here is just a sample of the past 72 hours:

1. EVERYTHING IS NOW AN "ISSUE". Upon entry into the kitchen, where favorite "Bath Time" occurs, with clean countertop, nicely laid out towel, lovely showerperch suctioned into the kitchen sink and NICE, LUKEWARM WATER is running...Thor reacts like fire is shooting out of the faucet and high tails it into the living room to "The Chosen One's" chair. What the - ?

2. "The Chosen One's" chair has now become "the nest" and hormonal M2 is defending it. Peeping around the corner multiple times only seems to infuriate and aggravate this "issue".

3. Don't want favorite almonds in the shell. Don't want shredding toys. Don't want fresh branches. Don't wanna take a bath.... Don't want this...don't want that.....

4. "AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! There's a LADY BUG in my water dish!!!!! AAAAAAAAAH"

5. "HONK!HONK!HONK!HONK!HONK!HONK!"

Seriously....I simply went to sleep the other night, and "Voila!".....are you KIDDING ME? And this goes on until, what....FEBRUARY? I am in so much trouble....

Laugh and say some prayers for me. I guess "the adventure" has truly begun.

Cathy

Cockatoos Leave Feather Dust On Your Soul.......
#213853 - 12/19/09 09:15 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: ThorsMom]  
Pete789 Offline
Pete789  Offline

Cairns, Australia
Hi Thorsmum, We have Penny a Sulpher Crested and lately she is playing up a treat every morning she is refusing to put on her dress (nappy) - she acts up like i was hurting her and continues with this act all day.

Penny is 17 months old (approx). My wife (IZZY) would like to know how old is Thorn and what type of Cockatoo is she??

#213870 - 12/19/09 06:23 PM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: Pete789]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Ha! Ha! Poor Cathy - Welcome to the wacky world of hormonal cockatoos! We are here to help get you through this! My U2 hen has several places that are special to her and the Chosen One (my 15-year-old son). I definitely avoid those places, that's for sure. And, I don't allow her to stay in those places for too long if the Chosen One is also occupying said space. This will be a good two months for you to learn all you can about Thor's own particular body language quirks!

Take care,
Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#213889 - 12/20/09 02:57 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: MissYumYum]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Hi Cathy-

Oh, I have been there, am still there, but am just little bit wiser (sometimes) and hope to survive each hormonal season.

Trying to be calm, consistent and observant of your 2 will be really helpful as time goes on. Since I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, I can't give too much advice.

If your Too is a female I really think that is a plus, cause that is why I think Lucy and I are still together. However, I am probably prejudiced because I only adopt females for that very reason...

There are plenty of fab males out there too, so best of luck and I am sending you positives vibes for this period...been there, experienced it, still experience it more than I want to and am very empathetic!!!

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#213896 - 12/20/09 03:37 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
This too shall pass. Until the nest time, that is.

Just try to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride - LOL!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#213898 - 12/20/09 03:50 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
OMG Cathy Love the way you tell this tale of hormones...make me live it all over again!!!! Been there and my Citron is by far the worst one I have to deal with.It does pass and you will be returned that same Thor you had before!!!!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#213911 - 12/20/09 04:33 PM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: Janny]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Our RB2s have been uncontrollable. Harry is attacking both of us and Hannah is defending her cage againgst all comers.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#213924 - 12/20/09 07:38 PM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: RB2sMom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I have been blessed/Lucky with Chewy. he has never shown any aggression towards me or over his cage, with me at least. If he doesn'twant out, I just don't make him.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#213959 - 12/22/09 05:23 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: Chewy]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Cathy, I am sorry you are going through the "Hormone Time" with your little girl. It will get better, I promise!

So far, we have been lucky this time around. (knocking on wood) Last year at this time, Sydnee was so hormonal that she was driving us nuts with her butt in our face and doing the huffy puffies.

Good luck!

Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#214014 - 12/23/09 06:00 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: Ladyhutch]  
ThorsMom Offline
ThorsMom  Offline

Pikeville, Tennessee
Huffy Puffies! I'm laughing so hard I can't even type....that is Thor to a "T" right now. Oh, and I thought I was all by myself....

She did actually take a bath the other night, but that silly bird acted like she'd never seen her shower perch, water, the sink.... is there such a thing as "Hormonal Dementia?" It must be contagious, because I think I have it right now.

Oh, "The Chosen One" makes me so mad sometimes. Just like a little while ago, he's sitting there with Thor, and she's making "Goo Goo" eyes at him ( before, during and AFTER the "Huffy Puffies ) ~ all the sudden, he just gently takes a hold of her, turns her upside down and places her in his lap....and still "Goo Goo" eyes from said M2. "See?....you should start working with her this way....." I'm thinking "Show Off...you wouldn't be doing THAT if Thor was the male she is NOT." Hmmf....I know better. But is really is nice to see that she trusts him so well. She loves her daily head-preening that I do for her after breakfast, so I just keep doing the things that she likes and it seems that she's not "pestering" me very much.....so far. I'm learning that it's not "everday is an adventure" with these birds. It's "every SECOND."

Thank you all for the smiles, out and out laughs and of course, the wonderful advice. You all are just simply the best group of people that I've ever come across, and I'm so thankful to be part of the "flock".

Cathy

#214015 - 12/23/09 06:10 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: Pete789]  
ThorsMom Offline
ThorsMom  Offline

Pikeville, Tennessee
Hi Pete,

Penny sounds like a real hoot, even at such a young age for a "drama queen ".

Our Thor is a Moluccan cockatoo, and she is 11 years old. We've only had her for about 7-8 months..... one of our "first birds" that we adopted all about the same time. Yes, we ARE crazy....but mostly crazy about her. Her story is on the "Talk About Your Cockatoos" page ( or something like that ~ I don't have all the headings memorized yet ) under the heading "Thor's story." After that, her name will make a lot more sense!

Cathy

#214039 - 12/24/09 02:21 AM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: ThorsMom]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
This makes me nervous LOL I flew home for 10 days until the 28th and Kahlua is with a friend... hope he is being a halfway nice bird! They have watched him before, so I am not too worried, but yikes!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#214403 - 01/01/10 04:22 PM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: sandiego]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Possibly Cleo is coming out of hormone season (crossed fingers and knocking on the little bit of wood that isn't destroyed). The bites on my arms have healed and she's starting to step up nicely again. Poor Cathy.....I too was totally unprepared for Cleo's first "season"....biting ankles was all the rage then. I hadn't found MyToos at that time and I was convinced she hated me...I was in tears many times. Being a new M2 companion is a real challenge!

Pat

One Day At A Time
#214404 - 01/01/10 04:26 PM Re: Enter the Drama Queen....... [Re: sandiego]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Possibly Cleo is coming out of hormone season (crossed fingers and knocking on the little bit of wood that isn't destroyed). The bites on my arms have healed and she's starting to step up nicely again. Poor Cathy.....I too was totally unprepared for Cleo's first "season"....biting ankles was all the rage then. I hadn't found MyToos at that time and I was convinced she hated me...I was in tears many times. Being a new M2 companion is a real challenge!

Pat

One Day At A Time

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny