Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213655 - 12/16/09 02:50 AM Tapping foot?  
K-SAX Offline
K-SAX  Offline

Destin, Florida
Jasper my three year old U2 taps his foot at everything and would really like if I tapped with him. What is he doing? Is he testing the texture of things or is this something else. He does not seem to be angry or aggressive when doing it.

You can judge a society by the way
it treats its animals--Gandhi
#213656 - 12/16/09 03:04 AM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: K-SAX]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I have seen with my female M2 it is a possessive display...so if someone she is not fond of enters her area she is telling them "this is my area so don't come here" type of thing.But she is also showing other body language to show she is not happy at this time.Feathers are really tight and she has a look in her eyes and hissing.

Sebastian my other M2 will do it when he is really excited. It just depends on the bird but the key is to watch the other displays that accompany it.For him he will hop around and tap his foot on things but his feathers are relaxed Sometimes his crest is up but not all the time and he just plays mostly.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#213688 - 12/16/09 03:52 PM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: Janny]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
Coco taps her foot as she's falling asleep. She could be sitting on my lap or my arm, and her eyes will be closing, and all of a sudden, she'll start doing the foot tap. It always reminds me of restless leg syndrome! lol

Yvonne
@--\---
#213690 - 12/16/09 04:14 PM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: Janny]  
K-SAX Offline
K-SAX  Offline

Destin, Florida
Jasper acts like he is curious about the material. He taps on everything and would really like it if I sat with him and tapped. He is not angry or upset, his feathers are normal and he gives me a look like "what is this?"
He has this thing about fingers, he loves to hold hands. He will curl his foot around one of my fingers and just sit. Another thing he does, which is odd....he strangles himself. He will wrap his foot around his neck and tap one toe. He has so many different expressions, it is hard to keep up will all of them !!!
How many birds do you have? I could not imagine more than one.

#213714 - 12/16/09 11:26 PM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: K-SAX]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Originally Posted By: K-SAX
Jasper acts like he is curious about the material. He taps on everything and would really like it if I sat with him and tapped. He is not angry or upset, his feathers are normal and he gives me a look like "what is this?"
He has this thing about fingers, he loves to hold hands. He will curl his foot around one of my fingers and just sit. Another thing he does, which is odd....he strangles himself. He will wrap his foot around his neck and tap one toe. He has so many different expressions, it is hard to keep up will all of them !!!
How many birds do you have? I could not imagine more than one.

Strangles himself... love that line, mainly because I've seen some do this wiht my own eyes! As for foot tapping, I'm sort of wondering the true meaning of it myself.

I've seen some do it out of, what I imagine is, stress. Some appear to be happy and others appear curious. One just starts grabbing things - arms, legs, fingers, tables, etc. even if he can't grip it.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#213716 - 12/17/09 12:28 AM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
LOL I almost lost count but here it goes...

I have 3 M2's...Sebastian (wild caught),Cabrie (wild caught ex breeder),and Bailey (captive raised).

I have a C2 named Angie and a G2 named Helen.

I have 2 CAG's Ripley and Misty.

Hahns Macaw...Daubbie

African Ringneck named Arnie.

3 cockatiels...Kiki our very first bird,Buddy and KaRee.

I have 3 canaries (2 are disabled females and one male that are all caged seperately)Cherish is the male and Hope and Faith are the disabled females.

I also have a a few finches,Larry,Curly,Moe,Frostie,Bandit.

It is allot of work to keep up to all of them but luckily for me the majority of my birds just want to be talked too and they are quite independent.Some of the flock I have would just rather see you and talk to you but do their own thing and just require some skritches and play time with you through the day.

2 of my M2 are wild caught and really haven't had much hands on attention in the past and what they have gotten is not a nice hand either so there is trust issues and we take things very slow and on their terms. Sebastian will only allow a bit of touch at this point and it is him preening me through the bars of the cage or when I am cleaning his cage. He is very terrified of people because he was beaten up pretty badly 2 homes before me.He has come a long way already in the year that I have had him.

Cabrie is my female M2 that I really don't know allot of her history but she was a replacement purchase by a very nice couple that had the best intentions really. She was on a classified add that they had seen shortly after loosing their tame M2 from egg binding.They saw her add she was housed in a very small cage with nothing but a perch and felt they needed to help her as they had allot of love to give and were left with a void after loosing their girl.Well Cabrie was a very hands off kind of girl. She was very wild and very aggressive.I was scared of her too when I was asked to take her in. It has been a year last november and she has turned into a very nice loving girl. She has her moods where she wants to be left alone and we respect that but she has come to a point where we can finally bring her out for one on one time on the couch and we play on the floor a little with toys. I would have never dreamed that day was going to come in the begining.lol.

Oh I could go on forever but...I am kind of high-jacking your thread.lol.

To make a long story short...I think I have been very lucky and have a fairly independent flock with only one of them wanting to be a velcro bird. I spend allot of time with them as a flock and they still get one on one time but it is routine for us. That being said I can not take in any more birds.I know my limitations and I am full at the inn. lol.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#213763 - 12/17/09 08:39 PM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: Janny]  
K-SAX Offline
K-SAX  Offline

Destin, Florida
Thanks for sharing about your birds. Sounds like you have your hands full!!!!!

I have normally only had one at a time and in a twenty –five year span I have moved from a female cockatiel, to a male rainbow lory, to a female eclectus, to a male alexandrine, and finally a male umbrella.

The eclectus and the umbrella have to be the most up keep and the equivalent of a small human child. No vacations, $$$$$, time off at work for the vet, and just general every day maintenance and affection. Which, don’t get me wrong, I knew this beforehand and I enjoy the companionship of every bird I have had. But the thought of many birds at one time………..my head would never stop spinning.

My husband jokes to our friends that the only time I would ever notice him is if he climbed into a bird cage and squawked.

#213776 - 12/18/09 01:57 AM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: K-SAX]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: K-SAX
My husband jokes to our friends that the only time I would ever notice him is if he climbed into a bird cage and squawked.

grin I'll bet mine would say something similar, LOL!! Jasper sounds like a sweetheart!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#213807 - 12/18/09 05:18 PM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: MissYumYum]  
Janie Offline
Janie  Offline

I've noticed KiwiU2 using her foot for different kinds of communication. The 'strangle' hold on the neck, while perched with a speculative gaze in her eyes is not an uncommon pose. I view it as a very relaxed contented expression. Makes you wonder however if the birds aren't quietly plotting their next adventure.

She will lift her foot as a non-verbal request such as “I want to step up.”
Kiwi will use her foot to attempt to touch something after I have told her "no mouth". Just like a naughty child, she will attempt to fulfill her desires by placing her foot on and stroking the object, looking at me and whining a sort of "oohh" sound. I know she understands sign language because this behavior is also expressed after she has been given her hand signal for no.

She will sign back my 'good girl' sign with her foot. She is not conditioned to an exact sequence of her physical responses. She chooses them randomly. She seems to possess an arsenal of behaviors she can choose from to use acquiring her desire of the moment. Sometimes it’s almost like she is arguing with us. She also knows the verbal yes and no, and sometimes adds the verbal yaa, affirmation along with the physical displays regarding her request. I have to be firm and consistent with appropriate responses on my part. No means no, and must be followed through.

I have not observed foot tapping. It may be more prevalent in other species of cockatoos. Kiwi was taught early on in our relationship what her foot and my foot(hand) are, and this has been a useful tool for both of us.

#214191 - 12/27/09 08:32 PM Re: Tapping foot? [Re: Janie]  
christina0001 Offline
christina0001  Offline

MO
My M2 foot taps regularly. Some days not at all, other days, multiple times. She especially likes to tap her foot on the linoleum, I think she likes the sound. She'll also tap her foot when she's perched on her cage door and yelling. When doing this, sometimes she'll even wave her wing in the air. It is so funny, it looks like she is stomping and waving and scolding us. lol
Sometimes when she is calm and tapping, I'll tap my hand lightly on something (my leg, the table, etc.) to the same beat that she taps her foot. We make a game out of it sometimes.
Who knows what goes on in their little birdy heads. smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny