Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213446 - 12/12/09 03:40 AM Another dumb newbie question!  
Kristikae Offline
Kristikae  Offline

I've now had Angel for about 2 months and we're getting along well. At first I focused on getting the family used to her and figuring out her schedule, toys etc. Now I checked this forum and boy do I feel dumb!

The girl I got her from told me she just eats people food but no dairy. She gets fresh broccoli, cauliflower, cantelope etc. I've tried peppers, potatos, carrots and green beans but she won't eat them. I did buy a big bag of parrot food (lots of dried fruit, veggies, nuts etc) that I supplement the people food with. Now as I read this column I'm afraid I've been feeding her wrong!

I read about people feeding oatmeal. Do you cook oatmeal just like you would for yourself?

What is the best type of pellet food and how much do you feed them? Do you just supplement people food to the pellets?

If someone could give me a typical daily diet they feed their Cockatoo that would be great!

#213448 - 12/12/09 03:53 AM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: Kristikae]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos!!

The Food page on our mainsite is a very good place for you to start. The are also many threads in the Diet forum that discuss proper nutrition as well. The search function here is awesome, and if you have a specific question about a certain food, you will most likely find it. For best results, use the "advanced" search function and if you type in more than one keyword, place them in quotation marks (i.e. "diary products"). Adjust your inquiry settings to posts in the last 10 years years and hit submit. If you are looking for only dietary information, you can also queue the search to look in the "Diet" forum only.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#213459 - 12/12/09 01:57 PM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: EchosMom]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
First, has your Too been vet checked?? Good place to start to see if she is healthy.

Feeding is always changing in my house. What they love one day, they hate another day. What they hate today, they love tomorrow. Never know what is going to been eaten or tossed.

Feeding oatmeal. Use regular oatmeal. Cook as if you are going to eat it. Let it cool some, but still a little warm. I spoon feed. I use it as a treat or sometimes to get one of the birds to start eating after they "go off their feed".

Pellets. I feed Harrison's and Zupreem Natural. With pellets it is a crap shoot which one they will like. I prefer the un-colored pellets as the colored ones make their poops funny colors. Nothing like finding purple poops.

Daily for me changes about every 4 or 5 days depending one what I pickup at the produce market. This morning's breakfast will be corn on the cob, carrots, frozen peas, corn, lima beans (warmed up with hot water) and Zupreem pellets. Tonight's dinner will be about 2-3 TBS of seeds, 6 peanuts (human grade), a pecan, 2 brazil nuts, 3 almonds, 3 hazel nuts.

#213467 - 12/12/09 08:06 PM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: Elliott]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Harrison's is the best, without a doubt (organic, no additives, etc.). You can also argue that once on a pelleted diet such as Harrison's, it's a "complete" diet so there's no need to supplement. This works pertty well for the high quality pellets, not so much for the lower quality pellets.

Veggies and nuts are still a good form of enrichment though, as is healthy people food smile

Another common mistake is overfeeding. If you look at the size of a bird's crop and the amount of food you're inclined to give them, look again. A lot of people pack the bowl full and are under the impression the bird is eating it when, in reality, they simply pick out and toss away the pieces they don't want since they have so much to choose from!

Other than that, read through some of the ohter posts to get a good idea of common diets people feed.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#213469 - 12/12/09 08:40 PM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Another thought, don't give to many choices at once. I will put just 3 or 4 pieces of a food item and maybe just 3 or 4 different types of food. I noticed my crew will toss most out once they get their fill.

I used to put about a cup of pellets in their bowls. I started watching how much they eat and toss. I used to go thru about 60 lbs. of pellets per month. Once I reduced their pellets to about a 1/4 to a 1/3 cup my food bill went down a whole bunch. Now one 20 lbs bag of Zupreem lasts about 4 weeks.

Something else I found it that even though Harrison's comes in a 5 lb bag and cost about the same as a 20 lb bag of Zupreem, it lasts about the same.

#213601 - 12/15/09 03:14 AM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: Elliott]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Brewster loves oatmeal! Just make sure it's cool enough! The food page has lots of great ideas!

Gail
#213612 - 12/15/09 05:28 AM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: Bird Mom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Bird Mom
Brewster loves oatmeal! Just make sure it's cool enough! The food page has lots of great ideas!

I actually have to stop Buddi, as I think she would eat oatmeal until she is sick! She will submerge nearly her entire beak in it and gobble...what a porker...

#213623 - 12/15/09 02:28 PM Re: Another dumb newbie question! [Re: GregM]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
I also mix Fancy's food choices using the recommendations here and on the food page (veggies, fruit, birdie bread, oatmeal, nuts, sprouts, pasta, eggs, and pellets). My vet loves the variety she's offered (and occasionally eats). If she had her druthers she'd eat carrots (only in rounds), peas, and broccoli; supplemented with her morning oatmeal.

She is free fed pellets (great foraging food): a mix of Harrisons and Zupreme as I'm not sure what she will want today. She does get her own plate of whatever we're having for dinner (veggies, potato, pasta, no meat); and we've just recently added egg to her diet (well she just recently added it). I keep her food choices healthy and varied; and I do try to stay in season so it's fresh food. I use frozen organic veggies as well.

BTW - I do watch how much starch Fancy gets so her oatmeal is a mix of oatmeal (~1 cup), Zupreme pellets (~2 cups) and organic rice cereal (~1/3 cup) - ground down to dust (becomes 'instant' oatmeal) and mixed. I'll add in any leftover Harrison's pellet dust when available. Fancy gets 1 tablespoon in the morning, spoon fed.

GregM - Fancy and Buddi must have learned to eat oatmeal together. If she's decided to feed herself and plunges in I just go and get the wet rag as the next step is a beak wipe on the cage and a good possibility of oatmeal on the ceiling!!!

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

Until you have loved an animal, your soul will stay unawakened

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny