Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213292 - 12/09/09 01:56 AM African Grey Enraged over new dog  
Elena Offline
Elena  Offline

Georgia
My husband and I have recently adopted a very frightened and abused malamute mix from the humane society. This dog had been mistreated by a previous owner who kept him locked in a crate for long intervals.

Africa, our year old African grey, has become very upset over the attention given to the dog. The bird has three cages, one large one in the bedroom, a smaller one in the living room, and his traveling cage. Yesterday while in the living room, when he saw us paying attention to the dog, he lifted his food dish out of the socket, raised it up high, and preceded to dump the food all over the cage floor. He then flung the dish itself on the floor.

We still give him as much attention as ever but he still throws small tantrums. What is the best way to handle this.

By the way, I have never felt so gratified as I did when I adopted this dog. I had always wanted an expensive purebred from a breeder. I will never think of obtaining a dog this way again.

Ellen

#213293 - 12/09/09 02:05 AM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Elena]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You can minimize jealousy by interacting with your new dog, out of Africa's sight.

The number of cages Africa hasn't really isn't relative to the situation because they are just that - cages and he's confined while he sees the dog enjoying freedom and getting attention from his humans.

I suggest that you fill Africa's attention tank to the brim, then move into another area of the house and interact with the new arrival.

As time goes by, Africa should be accustomed to the presence of the dog and as long as you keep his attention tank full, eventually the jealousy should become manageable.

You may already know this, but just in case you don't - never leave the dog and your bird out together unless under strict supervision - it could mean disaster for either of them.

Congratulations on your new family member.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#213311 - 12/09/09 05:29 AM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: EchosMom]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Yup, that sounds like an African Grey alright. LOL. sorry can't help but laugh. It's the HEY LOOK AT ME, WHAT ABOUT ME or only child syndrome...Give him lots of attention... and let him get used to the pooch being there... then eventually, I think maybe show the dog some attention in front of him,a little at a time. so he knows the dog is a valuable member of the family... might help him accept it SLOWLY....

#213332 - 12/09/09 08:00 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Winter's mom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I agree with both~ be careful. A frightened dog's reaction can mean a fast end to a little bird...
Good luck and god bless you for saving the poor soul!

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#213335 - 12/09/09 08:29 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Rukesmom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Yup even the most trusted and and accustomed dog in a home can spell disaster to your flock.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#213339 - 12/09/09 09:46 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Janny]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Grey tantrums! We ignore them in our house because if you pay attention to her because of them, she'll start doing them more.

There is a good article about introducing a second african grey -- if you google "introducing second grey" it comes up. I know the circumstances are a bit different, since you're adding a dog and not another bird, but I'd still think the article may be helpful.

Make sure that you still spend one-on-one time with Africa. Make sure she realizes that she's still number one (we say "first among equals" in our house). If they're in the room together, acknowledge her first, if you're going to give a treat to the dog, give one (probably a different kind!) to her first. Try to not give her any less attention than she was getting before. If you are interacting with the dog while she's in the room, verbally interact with her occasionally -- whistle something she likes, or just tell her how beautiful she is.

As EM said, you can do stuff to help make the jealousy manageable, although it will probably not go completely away.

I'm also seconding the warnings others have given about dogs/parrots together.

#213360 - 12/10/09 03:31 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Beeps]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Our little girl was very angry with me when I picked her up from boarding for ten days. She would not have anything to do with me for a little while. All is forgiven now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/JLBryan/P1000983.jpg

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#213370 - 12/10/09 08:11 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: JBryan]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Ha Ha! Nice photo! It is nice to see all the dedicated Grey people on this website. I think Greys rate up close to Cockatoos for the depth of emotional involvement with their flocks. Very sensitive birds, to be sure. Many of you don't even have cockatoos and you are a real asset here. Thank you all for your involvement and input! You are greatly appreciated! cool

#213372 - 12/10/09 09:57 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Charlie]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
JB, does your grey poop on you? Sally is in the bathroom for 11 hours some days and will not poop in there yet when she's on the arm of my chair or on me, bombs away every 5 minutes. So the moral of the story is I'm not even married anymore and I'm still getting sh*t on. LOL

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#213382 - 12/11/09 01:14 AM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: ZazuSally]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Grey poop on? laugh

Yeah, seriously, sometimes she does but she is good enough to save the really big ones for her playstand or cage. At least, as long as I am good.

Charlie, thank you for the kind words. I really am in awe of you people who have 3 or more rescues and can handle it. I am lucky that Sweetie has been so wonderful up till now. Time will tell. smile

Last edited by JBryan; 12/11/09 01:16 AM.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#213442 - 12/12/09 03:12 AM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: JBryan]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I have been slowly integrating our new Grey, Gremlin, into our flock here. Gremlin is dancing and talking and whistling up a storm!! She steps up well and likes to 'fly' while I hold onto her toes. A few times she flew a bit and has learned a new flight path here.

She is more introverted, though no less emotional than Lucy. What a difference. However, she is a total love!! I just can't get over the intelligence of our feathered friends. I am becoming more and more enamored of them as the years go by.

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#213586 - 12/14/09 10:53 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Guess I'm late to hop on board this thread, but I will anyway smile

We were lucky with Coco I suppose. He was used to being around other birds and people so when a dog entered his life, he only took mild frustration to it.

I just absolutely love a Grey's temper tantrum! Our guy will take fistfuls of food out of his bowl, stare at me, and toss it on the floor... repeatedly. He does this until he gets what he wants. One way is to ignore it, as African throws the tantrum; the last thing you want to do is promote that sort of behavior.

As for introducing him to the dog, do just that! I found we had to work with the dogs first. Get them used to the idea that birds exist but ARE NOT FOOD. Think of "Finding Nemo" - Fish are friends, not food. We would have Coco in one room for the day while the dogs were in the rest of the house. Occasionally we'd bring him out to meet the dogs and then bring him back in his room.

Once the dogs were well aware of the boundaries, we introduced them and Coco together in the same room for periods of time (supervised). We always pay attention to Coco first, and then the dogs.

After a while the dogs started to learn to beg off of him! He gets a treat, drops a piece and the dogs come running. He even got comfortable calling one of them by name and yelling "No!" at the other.

Include Africa in your normal activities with the dog and don't exclude him because of the dog if he's in the same room. With enough patience and a little luck, he'll get used to the idea that the dog is also a part of the flock and not a threat.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#213588 - 12/14/09 11:59 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: ParrotPerson

I just absolutely love a Grey's temper tantrum!

I totally agree. I have some on video that I rewatch when I need a laugh.

I especially love it when she's trying to bang something that is too heavy, but she still tries so hard and ends up lifting herself off of the counter.

It is so hard not to laugh and reinforce her as it is absolutely adorable (if done occasionally, of course!)

#213589 - 12/15/09 12:26 AM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Beeps]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
ROFLMAO!!!! OMG I have seen that tantrum more than enough times to know exactly what you mean.

I remember back when we first adopted Ripley our CAG...he did not appreciate my company much at all.I would watch him be so darn sweet with Dave and ask for kisses and when Dave would kiss the top of his head he would just look so darn happy and cute and make kissy sounds. Well Dave had gone to work and I was home alone with Ripley and he says "Wanna Kiss" so I took that as my invitation for a kiss. Yeah right....He kissed me alright. At first the kiss was gentle to suck me in for more...then he latched onto my lip and bit right through it and when he finally let go (after what felt like an eternity) I saw him put his foot up in a high four and head bobbing like he just did a touch down to win the game.LOL! Did I ever learn a hard lesson.

Same thing would happen when I tried to get him to step up. He would Step up very nicely and gentleman like...then he would bite me 3 or 4 times and jump off my arm and do thevery same dance in the end and say "Ho ho hooooo" and proceed to bang his beak on a toy or something.It took 3 years for him to even tolerate the likes of me...I still love every feather on that stubern little guy though. LOL I think it actually makes me love him more.

Thankfully Rip and I have learned to respect each other. He does like me now...it isn't the same relationship Dave and him share but he can tolerate spending the day on the arm of the chair with me without incidents. I have learned to read him better and not fall for his trickery as much.lol.

Jan

#213627 - 12/15/09 04:50 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Janny]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Janny
I have learned to read him better and not fall for his trickery as much.lol.

Your stories made me laugh smile They are so tricky -- in our house, we call what you described as a victory dance. Mine do it after they think they've pulled a fast one on us.

And greys can be so tricky about hiding their true intentions. The bird in our house that doesn't really like me but loves my husband is a severe macaw, and I'm so happy he's not a grey because severes are so obvious. To him, the ultimate in trickiness is calling me into the room where he is and then telling me to F off. He can't hide his true intentions enough to sucker me in -- he appears to get so excited anticipating biting me he can't control himself! (Of course I don't give him the opportunity to actually bite me because he's so transparent!)

The other thing our timneh does when she gets a bit miffed at one of us (like we won't give her more cheese) is buzz our heads then land on her stand and start saying, "Good girl!" while doing the victory dance which of course we've reinforced with laughter.

#213630 - 12/15/09 07:11 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Beeps]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Originally Posted By: Beeps
buzz our heads then land on her stand and start saying, "Good girl!" while doing the victory dance which of course we've reinforced with laughter.

ROFLMAO!!!!! Man those greys hey! I don't know how a person can not reinforce their behaviors with laughter! I really don't.The two I have crack me up on a daily basis because of the trouble they give us.lol.

You know your severe macaw sounds allot like the hahns macaw I have here. Daubbie will seriously do anything in his power to torment Dave. He loves the reaction he gets from Dave too. Dave will screech like a little girl sometimes and Daubbie prides himself after when he is the cause of it. Daubbie never does any of that to me...he is my little saint I always say. He always seems like the most adjusted and easy going birdy until Dave is around then you see him pinch,fake being sweet then pinch again and then give him the look.I am sure you know the look.Head high, feathers fluffed,eyes pinning like crazy,and then the really deliberate head bob.LOL!

Jan

#213636 - 12/15/09 09:19 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Janny]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Janny

You know your severe macaw sounds allot like the hahns macaw I have here. Daubbie will seriously do anything in his power to torment Dave. He loves the reaction he gets from Dave too. Dave will screech like a little girl sometimes and Daubbie prides himself after when he is the cause of it. Daubbie never does any of that to me...he is my little saint I always say. He always seems like the most adjusted and easy going birdy until Dave is around then you see him pinch,fake being sweet then pinch again and then give him the look.I am sure you know the look.Head high, feathers fluffed,eyes pinning like crazy,and then the really deliberate head bob.LOL!

Oh do I know that look. My severe, Rocky, is the same way. I've had people accuse me of making up some of the things he does to antagonize me because he's so wonderful to them. But they aren't a threat to the relationship he thinks he has with my husband -- I am.

Living with him has been quite the challenge, though I do still hope to win him over. I've been making (slow) progress.

I just thought of one tricky grey-like thing he does. For the most part, he'd rather bite my hand than take even his favorite food from me. I noticed that if he just had his beak open, he was trying to set a trap, but if he had his tongue sticking out, too, then he'd actually take the food. But a grey would have figured out that I knew that, and would have started sticking their tongue out and then biting me smile

#213642 - 12/15/09 10:05 PM Re: African Grey Enraged over new dog [Re: Beeps]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
HAHAHAHA that's so funny but so true!

Jan

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny