Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213291 - 12/09/09 12:40 AM Beak breaking and chipping  
Pete789 Offline
Pete789  Offline

Cairns, Australia
Penny has just lost a small piece of beak at the end - so now her beak is not so sharp. Is that normal??

She also has a beak that is slightly shaded and slightly shipped looking - is that normal?

Peeny has a fantastic diet. Veges like tomatoes, egg white in the morning, a samll teaspoon of sunflower seeds every day, noodles, chicken, prawns, fish, biscuits and crackers (cheesy.
I can't imagine that her diet is causing this slight discolouration of her beak.

Peter, Penny and Izzy

#213294 - 12/09/09 02:11 AM Re: Beak breaking and chipping [Re: Pete789]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Flaking and peeling of a parrots beak is a normal process - just like our own fingernails flake and peel.

The tip of the beak may have been broken off by chewing, especially if it was overgrown. Not sure what you mean by her beak being shaded. As the beak peels, the new growth underneath can be darker in color as it's hasn't accumulated powder down.

My advise is always when you notice something different or unusual, schedule a trip to your avian vet. There are some diseases and diet deficiencies that can cause beak problems.

Here is a good article.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#213341 - 12/09/09 10:53 PM Re: Beak breaking and chipping [Re: EchosMom]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I understand what you mean about the beak discoloration. It's kinda a dark purple ish underneath... I'm not at home right now so I can't remember exactly without looking again. Kahlua has chipping off a small piece on the tip when he was messing with a toy, but I shaved it down a little so it wasnt so rigid and sharp. It grew out really fast. Maybe posting pics would help

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#214036 - 12/24/09 12:15 AM Re: Beak breaking and chipping [Re: sandiego]  
Pete789 Offline
Pete789  Offline

Cairns, Australia
Thanks every one - I think Echoes mum got it. The under layers are a sort of dark purple. Penny has lots of stuff to chew. I think that i was over concerned and that Peenys beak is normal. The outer layers are sometimes a light grey colour.

Thanks for all your help

Peter, Penny and Izzy

#214037 - 12/24/09 01:08 AM Re: Beak breaking and chipping [Re: Pete789]  
Rocky From Oz Offline
Rocky From Oz  Offline

South Australia
Sounds normal to me Peter, however, you might want to revisit Penny's diet.
If you could substitute the sunflower seeds, cheesy crackers and biscuits for a pellet she'll be a healthier bird. Even grainy, wholemeal toast would be a better alternative.
The Parrot Rescue Centre in Queensland stocks a variety of pelleted food (and heaps of great toys) and you can order online.
Save the sunflower seeds as a treat when she does something you've asked her to do.
Cheers, and Merry Christmas eve

~ Mrs Max & Rocky ~

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny