Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213067 - 12/03/09 11:48 PM Dinner anyone?  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

When you folks prepare a meal with the intention of sharing it with your birds, what's typically on the menu that everyone can eat yet isn't totally in the realm of disappointing? (cant seem to get anyone to eat salad.)

#213068 - 12/04/09 12:00 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Winter's mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Any cooked or raw veggies, beans sometimes chicken. Oh pasta dishes without processed meats. Pizza is always a favorite.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#213074 - 12/04/09 02:25 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Winter's mom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
We love soups this time of year. Our 'Too loves the cooked vegetables from most soups, especially carrots and potatoes but also celery, corn and green beans. Use a minimum of salt and add more at the table if you like more salt. Warm pasta is usually well received but she likes it without much sauce, of any kind. Whole wheat pasta is the best for both of you. smile

#213078 - 12/04/09 03:55 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Charlie]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Brewster loves Quiona, Brown rice, whole grain pasta (with or without sauce), cooked veggies...esp. corn, carrots & brocolli. Everything seems to depend on the social atmosphere. One day he eats & eats. Other days he pushes the food away! Oatmeal usually will be eaten most days. Same with sweet potatoes.

Gail
#213079 - 12/04/09 04:40 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Bird Mom]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
"Birdie Rice Pilaf" - Quinoa, brown rice, 6 bean blend & veggies- Standard evening fare here - I add just a very small amount of whatever we are having. Pasta is enjoyed but I always make extra veggies & feed those mostly.
Everyone BUT Simon (M2) digs in... he insists on pellets for dinner... he likes his veggies raw in the am... Alway one has to be different!!
He also will seem to gorge one day & almost fast the next... I gave up worrying about it... His weight is stable his health is good. He just sometimes doesn't 'fill up'.

#213081 - 12/04/09 05:24 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Liisa B]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Simon sounds alot like Isabella! That's a large 'Too for you, sigh... my parakeet would eat the plate if she could, but Miss Picky Isabella U2 insists on her uncooked whole wheat or veggie pasta and pellets for her dinner. If she eats veggies at all, they must be raw, and they must be served mid-afternoon. She does like oatmeal most mornings, with slivered almonds and a touch of brown sugar. Although, since she is acting rather nesty at this time of year, I do not offer warm oatmeal every day - usually every three days or so.

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#213084 - 12/04/09 06:01 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We make a lot of soups this time of year also, nothing canned so I can keep the ingredients Too healthy. We also make lots of pasta or rice dishes with vegies. Casseroles are another favorite. While we do eat meat (mainly chicken or fish), we just remove the meat from Ozzys portions. Tacos or Burritos are a fun choice, we just dont add the meat or cheese to Ozzys, he does enjoy the salsa on them though. Spaghetti is something he loves,just no meat in his sauce. Ozzy seems to prefer his vegies cooked this time of year, he will eat them raw during spring and summer months more readily. If we have rolls or bread, it is always multi grained.

So mainly dinner is completely Too healthy, we just remove meat from his portions. We really haven't had to change much of what we normally eat ourselves.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#213095 - 12/04/09 04:36 PM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
I have to wonder... How much healthier are WE eating thanks to our birds? smile

#213105 - 12/04/09 08:34 PM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Liisa B]  
Janie Offline
Janie  Offline

kiwi U2 has definitely made us aware of how much fat we put on our plates. She has her own place setting at meals, but she is not above stretching her neck to reach your baked potato etc. if she notices butter, sour cream or gravy. Out of self protection, we don't add it. We put on her plate anything appropriate we are eating, veggies, fruit, grain products etc.

We think one of the best things we can do is eating with her. This is flock behavior. She has learned manners. She doesn't leave her place at the table and I've taught her to wipe her mouth on a napkin. Anything messy on her beak, and she wants to wipe it on your sleeve chair or table cloth. I just hold up the napkin and tell her to "wipe your mouth", and she bites at the napkin and wipes side to side to clean her beak.

I treat Kiwi like one would treat a two year old child. Boundary's are set, expectations are met calmly and lovingly. We lead with our own behavior. She stays by her own place setting and loves every minute of conversation and activity. New things are explained and demonstrated, and food is given names.

Kiwi loves all flock type behaviors, feeding, traveling, playing and exploration on new things. She loves people the more the merrier. A large dinner table with lots of conversation and activity are heaven for her. Holiday gatherings are great fun, and Kiwi handles a formal dinner setting with crystal stemware, full linen and silverware and china settings with perfection. Better than some of the Grand children. Janie & KiwiU2

#213133 - 12/05/09 01:48 PM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Janie]  
ThorsMom Offline
ThorsMom  Offline

Pikeville, Tennessee
Hi Janie,

Thor is the same way, she LOVES to eat with us, and we're trying to help her learn that what is on HER plate is just as good as what is on ours...many times, it's THE VERY SAME THING. She's coming along. And I know what you mean about beak wiping ~ the napkin is a good idea, so I'll try that. Last week, we had three guests for dinner, and we knew that Thor was going to want to be with all of us. I was a bit worried that these "non-bird" folks would scare her, or that she would hop over and steal something from their plates, but she didn't. In fact, she sat right next to her plate which was right next to my husband's and didn't venture any further. She's still somewhat shy around new people, although she loves to harrass my mother by hopping up and down in front of her and fluffing all her feathers out. My mother is easily intimidated by Thor and Thor knows this, so it's all an act, as when we chastise her, she'll then climb into my mom's lap and put her head down for a neck rub.

Hopefully, we can work on more table "etiquette" for upcoming holidays, but it's great to hear that Kiwi is setting such a good example for us to follow with Thor!

Thanks!

Cathy

Cockatoos Leave Feather Dust On Your Soul.......
#213152 - 12/06/09 03:11 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: ThorsMom]  
BSB00 Offline
BSB00  Offline

Charleston, SC
As our bird can see into the kitchen and is a Glass door away from the Dinning Room Table, She is a very attentive Critic

She want what we have and eats most things, but will let you know what she does not like very quickly,as to say, what she wont eat today...but maybe tommorrow

She Loves Scambled eggs and french toast..not on the same day of course

#213257 - 12/08/09 06:01 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: BSB00]  
ThorsMom Offline
ThorsMom  Offline

Pikeville, Tennessee
Thor likes vegetable soup, and if we're eating in front of the t.v., she'll peer into my husband's bowl of soup and say "Hi Thor....." and "Mmmmmmm......!!!" Her favorites being the cooked carrots and cooked potatoes in the soup, which she makes a beeline for. My husband loves lots of butter on his baked potato, and we have to make sure that she's nowhere around when he's trying to eat one, otherwise she'll make off with a BEAKFULL. I know that butter is bad....trouble is, she doesn't!

#213362 - 12/10/09 04:02 PM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: ThorsMom]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

would anyone care to share a bird healty recipe for vegetable soup? I am assuming no canned veggies are used.Anyone add chicken or turkey? Or lean beef? (not that birds would get that animal protein)..

#213498 - 12/13/09 05:14 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Winter's mom]  
ThorsMom Offline
ThorsMom  Offline

Pikeville, Tennessee
Are salt-free canned veggies ok? They have them at Kroger's grocery store and that is what I use for "quick soup", along with any other frozen vegetable like corn or peas. The canned veggies do have some lima beans in them, and I pick out because I read somewhere that they were unsafe (cooked? raw? both? I wasn't exactly sure). But other than that, I just add whatever veggie that I know they like and I like. It's a fairly "bland" soup, but good for me and I hope good for them. Since they get all sorts of raw veggies every day, I haven't worried too much about the canned ones being minus the healthy peels and such, as they don't get soup very often with everything else they get to eat. I can't seem to follow a recipe, much less retain a recipe that I've come up with, but the spices that I use on a regular basis for my soups are chili powder and oregano ( both are great in tomato soup, by the way! ), which the birds seem to love. I have added well cooked turkey and organic cooked, ground buffalo, which is SUPER lean, and they all seem to like that. Thor, M2, and Cheeko, the BH Caique, are more "carnivorous" than our little Hahn's macaw, and they wll both go for the meat first and carrots and potatoes second. Cody would rather have a green bean than meat, but occasionally he'll sample some. Sorry, it's not a "recipe." The next time that I fix it, I'll try to write it down, so I can pass it on, if all the ingredients I listed are acceptable.

Cathy

#213502 - 12/13/09 05:52 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: ThorsMom]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
I've made a few soups using an entire chicken to make the broth, but I don't really know how "healthy" it is. Also veggies like celery, carrots, squash, onions and garlic, when boiled, can make a very tasty broth. Some people will boil all the veggies to make the broth then throw away those veggies and replace with new ones once adding the extras like pasta, rice, potatoes et c. that will soak up flavor. I always just search the internet for good looking recipes.

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#213505 - 12/13/09 06:48 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: belle-ville]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
No bean should be served uncooked because they contain hemaglutin, which is very toxic to birds.

No salt, canned veggies are better than salted, but they still contain alot of preservatives. Fresh or frozen is the way to go, and if you are providing cooked foods, you can make in larger quantities and freeze for future use.

Animal protein should be kept at a minimum, or ideally none at all, including poultry. We've had many discussions here about that and while some of us choose to offer the very occassional taste of poultry, it is not something that our birds should really have, and something they definitely don't need.

Amanda, I make veggie broth and use that to cook my bean/veggie/pasta mix. It's so easy because you don't have to chop everything. I cut a onion in 1/2, throw in whole stalks of celery, etc and the scoop them out when it's done.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#213511 - 12/13/09 10:53 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: EchosMom]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Oh... I forgot the original purpose of this thread... here are two recipes that can be easily altered for birds.

You can make lots of veggie dishes with eggplant and they are delicious, especially italian-style, and eggplants are cheap. Slice into 1/4" slices, arrange them in one layer on a sheet of aluminum foil in the oven, then brush lightly with oil, sprinkle both sides with garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, and other italian spices like oregano, rosemary, et c. Broil for about 10 minutes on middle rack, flip them and continue to broil until browned and a fork easily pierces them. They are very yummy just like that or you can layer them one on top of the other, with spaghetti sauce between, top with bread crumbs mixed with cheese for the humans... I serve with whole grain pasta... Leah eats up the pasta more than the eggplant though.

These are also delicious... but probably high in preservatives/sodium... but vegan and delicious...
http://www.vegfamily.com/product-reviews/celentanos.htm

Another delicious recipe is root mash... boil peeled potatoes, peeled sweet potatoes, squash and peeled white boniato (don't know what it is named in english??) with a few mashed cloves of garlic, mash up like mashed potatoes and for humans I put butter and some salt, top with cheddar cheese. You can set some aside after mashing it, before adding the salt/butter for the birds.

Leah also gobbled up some split pea soup I made recently.

EM does the statement about animal protein also include egg whites? Leah loves egg whites and gets it at least once a week.

Last edited by belle-ville; 12/13/09 11:04 AM.

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#213529 - 12/13/09 08:35 PM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: belle-ville]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Since my wife and I don't eat meat or dairy, it's all (mostly) fair game! We just try to go easy on the salts and sugars if we're going to be sharing with the birds.

Baked yams, potatoes, pastas, rice, mashed potatoes, tofu, veggies, fruits, lentil soup, pea soup and garlic are all favorites.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#218079 - 03/05/10 03:30 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Sallykins Offline
Sallykins  Offline

Mississippi, United States
Looks like I am going to need to buy a freezer just for my birds after reading this!

~Sally & Mushu & Sora
#218087 - 03/05/10 04:17 AM Re: Dinner anyone? [Re: Sallykins]  
RK1 Offline
RK1  Offline

RI
Puffkins loves scrambled eggs, oatmeal, lentils & pasta, and lots of other goodies.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny