Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212975 - 12/01/09 03:22 PM Need help with RATS  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I posted earlier about our problem with roof rats; we have since had our pest control company with a contract seal off our house and do not have them in our house anymore.

However, we have a turtle and tortoise rescue and many enclosures in our back yard; we also had mandarin ducks that we have since placed. In earlier posts I mentioned that the rats were eating the mandarin duck food and were all over the place in the back yard. Now, even with the mandarin ducks gone as well as their food and most of our reptiles inside for the winter and no food in the back, the rats are still there. They have many tunnels under the enclosures. We have tried trapping them but have little success. Our pest control company will only deal with inside rats.

We need to get rid of these roof rats before they re-invade our home or attack our reptiles when they come back out in the spring. There are loads of them and we even see them running around in the day. BE2Cassie/Nancy you had suggested Coyote urine as a way to deter them; would it help to place it around or in their burrows?

Does anyone know how to get rid of these roof rats in our back yard without using poison or anything that would hurt other wildlife or our rescue animals?

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#212980 - 12/01/09 05:35 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: RB2sMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
That's tough! Here is a site with some suggestions and products you might want to read until someone chimes in.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/rats.htm

#212982 - 12/01/09 08:54 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: Charlie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Thanks Charlie.

Another thought.....Maybe I should put up a sign in my yard, "All you can eat Rat Buffet", welcome all hawks, owls, and cats.......

Susanne
#212984 - 12/01/09 09:29 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: RB2sMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: RB2sMom

Another thought.....Maybe I should put up a sign in my yard, "All you can eat Rat Buffet", welcome all hawks, owls, and cats.......

crazy ROFL

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#212995 - 12/02/09 03:01 AM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Susanne I would pour the urine right in the tunnels and around them also. Now that winter is here are you bringing in all of the critters? If so now is the time to bring in the heavy hitters. Buy rat poison blocks, not the granules. Drop a couple of blocks in each hole and with a broom handle push them in as far as you can. You want them in deep so no other animals will get to them. The rats will take them down into their caches to store. Be prepared though to see a lot of dead rats within 24 to 48 hours. They will come out looking for water. It's gruesome and for only a couple of rats I wouldn't resort to this but if they have a whole colony you really need to get rid of them before spring.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#213013 - 12/02/09 05:55 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: BE2Cassie]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Cayenne Pepper helped some when we had mice everywhere and was bird safe. Don't know how it will impact reptiles though. Pouring it around the edges of the enclosures and down any holes you see, may help (I mean POUR, not just sprinkle!).

I'd turn the reptile enclosures into Raptor enclosures for the season.... give the rats a bit of a surprise smile (Of course now I have to give the disclaimer about keeping wildlife illegally, etc. etc. etc.)

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#213016 - 12/02/09 08:35 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I had a rat problem years ago. I had to get rid of my compost pile. In the end I finally tore down a shed and found they were living in the walls.

What you have to do is remove their food source, their water source, and their home. Keep the yard really clean of leaves and debris. The poison rat bait blocks you throw into their tunnels will help. You can even get an attachment you hook to your cars exhaust and stick the other in into the tunnels and gas them.

#213021 - 12/02/09 11:47 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: Elliott]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
If it's a really bad infestation the pepper may not work. We made a paste of cayenne pepper and painted it all around our duck pond at work and they still found ways in. We resorted to the poison because the rats were killing the ducks. We even went so far as to remove the bridge to the island in hopes of protecting the ducks at night but the rats swam across.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#213434 - 12/11/09 11:50 PM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Just a followup on our Rat Patrol.......
We have now caught 9 rats in 3 days. My husband has designed a Rat Hotel, i.e. they check in but they don't check out. He puts two Tomcat traps (like T-rex) in a covered basket with bait; the basket has two holes, one on each end. Neigborhood cats and other animals can not get in to get zapped. We leave them out all day long as the rats are also active during the day looking for food. Over ripe apples along with peanut butter and seed residue from our birds are the bait. We hope to try and get rid of our rats before spring comes and our animals go outdoors again.

Susanne
#213435 - 12/12/09 12:13 AM Re: Need help with RATS [Re: RB2sMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Susanne great set up!
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny