Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212462 - 11/19/09 11:35 PM Hi, my name is Mariela.  
vani Offline
vani  Offline

San Mateo County
I am 25.. I work at a shelter as well as a doggie daycare. I am owned by a Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo named Polly. Here's her story w/ my family:
I found her on craigslist after I saw one come into my shelter, that our exotics tech ending up adopting. My mom was really into birds when I was young, but she only had budgies and they only liked her, so I wasn't really into them. But this one was tame, lovey, cuddly, not afraid of dogs. So started reading about them, looking up every kind of information I could find. That's how I came upon mytoos.com. I read entire books on them. My mom wanted to come in and adopt a couple of cockatiels and she saw the lesser we had and just fell in love. That's when I decided to start saving to get one for her in time for mother's day. So I had three months to learn every thing I could also pass all the information to my mother.
Polly's birthday is May 10, 2007. What a coincidence! I got her from Oakley from a woman who claimed no longer had any time for her, although, she did tell me later on, that she was going to start breeding Parrotlets? Doesn't that take a lot of time? and money. Anyway, I decided to go and check her out. I was instantly in love with her, but she didn't want anything to do with me. So I asked her if I could visit her a couple times prior to letting me take her home so that when I eventually did, she would no longer see me as a stranger. It worked! So long story short, I surprised my mom, she loved her, but we had no where to put her. My mom's house is rarely empty. She runs a child daycare during the week so we couldn't have her in the living room.
And my selfish brothers and sisters said she was "too messy and loud". All of my brothers and sisters still live with my mom (17-26yrs old), except for me. The daycare drove me outta there a year ago. My back up plan if my mom didn't want Polly I would keep her. But I live in an apartment and can not have pets(although I have a cat and a dog in secret), but I am saving up to get a house in the very near future, so Polly would have to stay at my mom's for at least a few months.
For some reason, in the summer my mom thought it would be a good idea for Polly to have some nice fresh air and sunlight out on our gated front porch. I reminded her, that she can not be left there over night. She assured me she wouldn't.
I got a call at 4am with my sister screaming that a raccoon had just attacked Polly. My heart sank. I cried. I yelled for them to take her to Emergency Vet. They did. She survived. But after having her for only a few months, we ended up with a young, handicapped cockatoo.
I would love any tips and advice on making her as comfortable as I can possibly make her. Anything on handicapped birds would be very, very much appreciated.

#212473 - 11/20/09 02:16 AM Re: Hi, my name is Mariela. [Re: vani]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
hi Mariela - what is Polly's handicap? My M2, Cleo, survived a vicious dog attack and is handicapped in a way bcause she has to wear an E-collar - maybe for the rest of her life. Like you, I'm looking for ways to make her as happy as possible.

Pat

One Day At A Time
#212503 - 11/20/09 09:46 PM Re: Hi, my name is Mariela. [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
That is heartbeaking. Poor Polly must have been so terrifed. They can never be outside without us unless it is a heavily fortifed and protected enclsure...
What are her resulting handicaps? How long ago did this occur? The more you tell us, the better we can attempt to help you and Polly!!!

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#212573 - 11/22/09 09:46 PM Re: Hi, my name is Mariela. [Re: Rukesmom]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
First, welcome.

Second - I'd like to know more about the handicap as well. Is it on a leg, wing, beak, etc.? I've worked with a lot of handicap guys (and girls) so I might have known one with a similar problem.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#212603 - 11/23/09 04:39 AM Re: Hi, my name is Mariela. [Re: ParrotPerson]  
sknight88 Offline
sknight88  Offline

Florida
Wow, sorry. Who would ever think of a racoon doing that?

#212612 - 11/23/09 08:47 AM Re: Hi, my name is Mariela. [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
vani Offline
vani  Offline

San Mateo County
Polly is missing her right leg. I believe it's the foot she uses mostly to hold food=( She still tries to use it, but she is getting around very well. One of the main issues I have been working on is getting her to step up again. I don't know a good way to teach her to do it that is comfortable for her. I feel like I need to offer her both of my hands, but even she has a puzzled look on her face when I ask her to.

Wow, a dog attack? what type of dog was it? Was it your dog? What type of damage did the dog cause?

ya, just missing her right leg. she has a little stump tho. This happened back in July(10th). We had only had her for 2 months before the incident. It totally broke my heart. But she is awesome, I love her, and I don't care what it takes to make her the happiest bird she could be. I really want to her to know that she is loved and that nothing like that will ever happen to her again.
ya, tell me about it. I mean, I've read in books that it could happen, but I didn't think it was a major concern since we never see raccoons in the area. Suddenly they were at my mom's house every night looking for "food". They even went after our bichon/chihuahua mutt a couple days after!

These raccoons cost us over $3000.00 in medical expenses!

any advice for one legged cockatoos would be awesome...

Last edited by EchosMom; 12/13/09 05:17 PM. Reason: combined 4 posts into one - please use the edit function vs. posting consecutively - thanks.
#213512 - 12/13/09 11:30 AM Re: Hi, my name is Mariela. [Re: vani]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Welcome Mariela,

For all, racoons are nasty little hunters and will kill any type of bird to eat it. My aunt had a big problem with a raccoon breaking into her chicken coop and killing them off. She had no idea until she set traps and eventually caught it.

I even know someone whose quaker had its toes eat off by rats... so I wouldn't put much past these types of scavenger creatures.

Last edited by belle-ville; 12/13/09 11:32 AM.

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny