Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212445 - 11/19/09 06:54 PM Beak Appetit Going Out of Business  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Hi,
For the last 5-6 years we have been feeding our D2 & CAG, Beak Appetit for breakfast. We would make it and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Pulling 2 cubes our and nuking them for 30 seconds, was fast and convenient. The birds seemed to like it, seemed extremely healthy, and full feathered. Its the only breakfast they have ever eaten.
However, we just heard, this line of food, will no longer be available.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience, as too what we could replace Beak Appetit with?

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#212448 - 11/19/09 07:25 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: The Rockster]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Try Quinoa! I've noticed that a lot of birds love it since it has a "nutty" flavour. You can mix Quinoa with chopped vegetables, fruits, beans, or whatever else the birds like.

You can cook it and freeze it in cubes like you've been doing.

#212453 - 11/19/09 08:05 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Garnet]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Hi,
We feed the birds TOPS pellets daily. Quinoa is one of the listed ingredients.
We are looking at parrot food mixes:
Crazy Corn
Goldenfeast Carribean Bounty Bird Food
We're looking for other parrot food mixes, as well as product reviews.

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#212455 - 11/19/09 08:29 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: The Rockster]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

http://www.parrotnutz.com/ might be along the lines of what you're looking for. You could make the instant meals and mashes ahead of time and freeze them, though there's no cooking involved -- just add hot water and steep. Though it looks like the owner is taking a short break as she recovers from an injury.

In any case, my parrots love her food and she donates a portion of her proceeds to Parrot Toy Angels.

We feed Goldenfeast mixes at our house as well, but they've recently been doing some ingredient substitution that does not please me (or my parrots) so I'll be reading this thread with interest for other ideas!

#212459 - 11/19/09 09:30 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Beeps]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Thanks for the new 411.
We are looking for a similar mix as Beak Appetit. One without nuts, or seeds. We monitor and limit, their intake of these, and use them as treats. We are concerned about the fat content, and don't believe they should be included daily in their diet.

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#212466 - 11/20/09 12:38 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: The Rockster]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I stopped using the pre-made mixes a few years as I was always getting old product. Usually the packs had the little weevils in them.

I started making up "Jerry's Bean Mix" as I call it. It's on here but I can never find it. It has frozen veggies and beans in it. I add Zupreem pellets and brown rice, quinoa, or pasta and the birds go nuts for it.

#212469 - 11/20/09 01:11 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Elliott]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
We probably have 3 months left of Beak Appetit made up in the freezer.
We think that making our own may be the way to go.
On the up side, we could better control what makes up their diet.
Not too sure about the cost factors.
As well as the fact, that I am not much of a cook.

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#212471 - 11/20/09 02:03 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Elliott]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Originally Posted By: Elliott
I stopped using the pre-made mixes a few years as I was always getting old product. Usually the packs had the little weevils in them.

I started making up "Jerry's Bean Mix" as I call it. It's on here but I can never find it. It has frozen veggies and beans in it. I add Zupreem pellets and brown rice, quinoa, or pasta and the birds go nuts for it.

I actually got old product a couple times too. I think it was the fault of the store for leaving old stuff on the shelves and not rotating product.

I don't think one really needs a recipe to make a bean mix. Just mix any cooked grain (whole grain rice, wheat pasta, quinoa, bulgur, spelt, etc) with mixed vegetables and cooked beans (or lentils, etc). I use different things each time. I do leave out corn, since if I put it in, the birds it only and throw the rest out. I do buy them fresh corn on the cob to use as treats.

Per serving, the "home made" mix is way cheaper as well.

Crazy Corn is supposed to be very good, as far as the pre-made mixes go.

Last edited by Garnet; 11/20/09 02:04 AM.
#212472 - 11/20/09 02:15 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Garnet]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I agree with Garnet. Homemade is very cheap and can be made in many, many ways. Here is the Mytoos recipe page if you want to try it as a base and adjust.

Mytoos Food Page

#212487 - 11/20/09 02:03 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Charlie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Thanks Charlie. Now I can find the recipe. Added it to my favorites.

Corn being more filler and not as nutritious as other foods, I add it each morning and most of the time the feathered crew will pick around it. But then again, you never know what they are going to pick as the fav of the day.

Hey Rockster, You will learn how to cook once you start cooking for them. Best part is, they don't care about the way it looks. A lot of times I think something I've cooked looks nasty and they loved it. They almost fall into the bowls head first.

I think the coolest look any bird has is a face covered with food. At least you know they are eating it.

Last edited by Elliott; 11/20/09 02:09 PM.
#212514 - 11/21/09 06:08 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: Elliott]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We started making our own mixes awhile back. It is far cheaper, you can pick the items up at your store. You can control the quality and quantity of whatever is in the mix. Fill little baggies or freezer trays and you are good to go!

We make our own seed mix for the very same reasons.

This really does save money and doesnt take that much time. I cook up the bean, vegie and rice mixes once a month.

Pellets are the only thing we still purchase, and if I find a good recipe to make them I will probably try that as well lol.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#212574 - 11/22/09 09:53 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
We actually don't use any kind of a seed or grain mix for the most part with our guys (at home). The diet consists of about 90% Harrison's pelet and the rest is topped of with fresh vegetables and a little bit of grains (lentils, beans, etc.) - whatever we make for dinner basically.

If you look at the nutritional information for Harrison's you'll see why it's really unnecessary to add much of anything else, other than for variety and treats.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#212579 - 11/23/09 12:09 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: ParrotPerson]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
We believe that no pellet is the total answer to a complete diet for any parrots. Even the maker of Totally Organic Pellets, states that too. Harrison's pellets, are some of the best, as are TOPS.
However, we are planning on making a concoction for the parrots.
Tentatively, the core ingredients are going to be 15 bean mix,yams, quinoa, Bulgar wheat, rice, and flax seeds.We're not real sure about amounts, guess just experiment.

All advice is welcome!

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#212580 - 11/23/09 12:38 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: The Rockster]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I do exactly what Charlie said. I start with the veggie mix recipe on our food page and then change it up. I addition to adding sweet potatoes, some of the things I add are different varieties of beans, quinoa, barley, brown rice, and wheat pasta. It's never the same twice, and all my birds love it.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#212582 - 11/23/09 12:50 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: EchosMom]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Hi,
Good advice.
Got a question about wheat causing allergies, and the effects on parrots. Do you all have any opinions about this subject?

Totally Organics does:
"WHEAT
Wheat is a common allergen and contains about 80 different components that can cause a negative reaction. The number of people that are allergic to wheat and wheat products is raising daily in alarming amounts. If that is the case for humans, and we are not sure how it acts in birds, better safe than sorry."

Should I forget about using Bulgur wheat, or any wheat?

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#212585 - 11/23/09 01:44 AM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: The Rockster]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Very interesting. I have never experienced any problem offering my birds whole wheat pasta or bread. Birds are as individual as people, so what creates an allergic reaction in some, may not in others.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#212648 - 11/23/09 10:14 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: EchosMom]  
RiaCoul Offline
RiaCoul  Offline

Vernon, CT
I just wish my T2 would eat more of a variety. He loves his pistachios, so I always include some in him morning seed mix. But, as I'm reading more and more often, seeds are not necessarily the best food for them. So I've tried the veggie mix on the food page, but he wasn't interested. He isn't interested in much, but loves cheese, which I've also heard is not good for him. Also, he loves meat. I don't know what else to try.

Maria, Bosworth's Mom
#212734 - 11/25/09 08:32 PM Re: Beak Appetit Going Out of Business [Re: RiaCoul]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

The key is to keep trying Maria. Eat those good foods for your Too in front of him, make yummie sounds while you do so also. Keep offering the fresh vegies and bean/rice/vegie mix. Make skewers with vegies hanging on them. Dont take away the seed, however make sure there are plenty of other choices. Dont give up, it can take a very long time to convert a poor eater. What they turn up their lil beak at today, they might just devour tomorrow. Ozzy still goes through spells of loving one thing, and throwing it aside another lol. Every night though he still gets his warm oatmeal, in it I always mix in organic vegie baby foods. I alternate them with any of the vegies off the vitamin A list. His favorite is sweet potatoe with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled in, it taste something like sweet potatoe pie (yes I taste everything he eats) hehe. He also has pellets 24/7. Some days he eats them all gone, others they go untouched. Ozzy rarely eats any seed now, about the only time is right after his oatmeal he will nibble on a few.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny