Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#212036 - 11/12/09 06:26 AM Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos...  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
First and foremost--hi everyone! Its been a while! Things are... well, they're going. Leah is still plucking. I took her to the vet as you all had recommended, he said she had a nasty infection in the intestines. I medicated her but there has been no improvement in her feather destruction. For now we're just living with it. I just lost my job, however, so she might get better with my increased presence.

But on to a bit of help I need... I'm in a public speaking class and I really wanted to do my speech on why cockatoos make bad pets for the typical person. My target audience is a bunch of twenty-somethings that are in college. I am looking for any book, article, newspaper clipping or anything that could provide more substance to my claims than just my personal experience and opinion. I've taken all the quotes from the "references" page on the main mytoos.com site and gotten a few good references from the library database at my college. I am also hoping to find this book: "Of Parrots and People: The Sometimes Funny. Always Fascinating, and Often Catastrophic Collision of Two Intelligent Species" by Mira Tweti, a buddhist nun and animal rights writer/activist. (Most likely a good read...)

Anyone have anything they can pass my way?

Thanks!!

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#212044 - 11/12/09 03:33 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: belle-ville]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Sorry to not have anything concrete but my thought is to try to get numbers of them in rescues and stats on their life spans! Make the point also on how horrific breeders are (much worse than puppy mills even)...
Good luck!
Tania

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#212051 - 11/12/09 04:52 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Rukesmom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Is this a speech where you will have the ability to show pictures (like through Power Point?) Because I'm sure there are members who can send you mutilation pictures and you know a picture is often worth a thousand words. Also pictures of bad bites from toos that humans received.

If you can somehow do a video/sound file, you could show one screaming.

Have you checked out Indonesian Parrot Project's website? Or the World Parrot Trust? They may have some additional information. Also the Avian Welfare Coalition.

If I think of or come across anything else, I'll post.

#212065 - 11/12/09 08:06 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Beeps]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Have you checked the school library for the book? I would guess they have it. If not, how about Amazon.com?
Good luck.

Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#212163 - 11/13/09 11:31 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Ladyhutch]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Thanks for your help so far guys. What I have is a LOT of information so far from the few research studies that have been done on abnormal behavior in parrots kept in cages. I can post the more pertinent quotes that I decided to keep in case anyone wants it. I sat down with my professor and she gave me some ideas and told me I had enough research to back my claims. Now she wants me to see if I can find quotes from different rescues saying that they are full and underfunded.

We are required to used presentation aids so I had already decided on pictures of mostly pluckers, but also a few who mutilate. I am gonna use some audio of displays and alarm calls, and hopefully some pictures of those who have had their walls chewed up by toos. I might include a picture or two of a bite.

Through talking with my teacher my speech motive has kind of evolved from "don't get a cockatoo" to "here are the facts, decide if you would make a good adoptive owner" (which, from the outset I should have been thinking) so now I am wanting to show maybe the good and the bad instead of crossing twenty-something people off the list of potential adopters.

I'll post you guys info on the speech once I'm done if you want.

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#212164 - 11/13/09 11:42 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: belle-ville]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Bring Leah! No seriously, bring her. I mean it!

I can give all the speeches in the world on why cockatoos or any other birds make horrible "pets", but it's all meaningless unless someone sees them with their own eyes.

From a Public Speaking standpoint (I had to take several of those classes in college) you want something that will draw the audience in. From a Parrots' Rights standpoint, you need something that will demonstrate what it is you'll be talking about.

If she scream... so what! That's part of the point you'll be making. If she goes to attack someone (through the cage/carrier hopefully) again, that's another part of the point you're trying to make.

I give tours to the public all the time at Best Friends and nothing is quite as effective as making my point as the birds themselves are. If you allow for a lot of flexibility in your speech (don't restrict yourself to saying only certain things at certain times) anything Leah says or does in the class will all fit right in.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#212165 - 11/13/09 11:55 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: belle-ville]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: belle-ville
Now she wants me to see if I can find quotes from different rescues saying that they are full and underfunded.

If one of the mods wants to send you my e-mail address, I can put you in touch with some rescues that will say this.

The rescue where I volunteer is on a waiting list for surrendered large birds right now, and I know several in our area are unable to take any more in.

I can also get you information regarding number of parrots broken down by species surrendered to the rescue where I volunteer over the past few years (or just toos if that's all you care about).

However, I will most likely be without computer access until Monday, so if you do e-mail me, don't expect a super quick response!

#212169 - 11/14/09 12:45 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Beeps]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Originally Posted By: Beeps
Originally Posted By: belle-ville
Now she wants me to see if I can find quotes from different rescues saying that they are full and underfunded.

If one of the mods wants to send you my e-mail address, I can put you in touch with some rescues that will say this.

The rescue where I volunteer is on a waiting list for surrendered large birds right now, and I know several in our area are unable to take any more in.

I can also get you information regarding number of parrots broken down by species surrendered to the rescue where I volunteer over the past few years (or just toos if that's all you care about).

However, I will most likely be without computer access until Monday, so if you do e-mail me, don't expect a super quick response!

Same here. I can also run some facts and figures by you regarding how many adoptions we've had, birds we currently have and proportion of Cockatoos to other species.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#212172 - 11/14/09 01:04 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: ParrotPerson]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Wow beeps & parrotperson those statistics would be EXACTLY what I need!! Although I want to make my point, and thought about bringing Leah, I still have to mind my grade, and having Leah there the whole time would really have a negative impact on my grade. I've brought her to classes before and she doesn't scream or attack/lunge, she just kind of sits there like a stuffed animal... and I failed my first speech, so failing a second is not an option... I mean... I'll ask her if she thinks it would be a welcome addition but I doubt it. But those statistics would be perfect if it's not too much work!!

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#212183 - 11/14/09 03:10 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: belle-ville]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'll e-mail the addresses to you, Amanda. Good luck!

(Oh, Mira Tweti is not a Buddhist nun! LOL) smile

#212187 - 11/14/09 03:37 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Charlie]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Keep us updated!

Gail
#212213 - 11/14/09 07:51 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Bird Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
If you need more statistics, I'd be happy to provide you with some from Project Perry as well.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#212215 - 11/14/09 09:08 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: EchosMom]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

I think Monica Engebretson of Born Free summed things up quite nicely in a recent article.

http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-should-birds-be-kept-as-pets

Reqarding stats, we are at 100% capacity, but that is only 60 -70 birds now versus 100-125 this time a year or two ago. Donations are dead and adoptions have dropped to a trickle (as have the adoption fees that we depend on to pay the bills). In order to maintain the same quality of care, we have had no choice to reduce our maximum capacity by 40% to stay within what little we have in the way of resources and keep our doors open.

On the flip side of the coin, we currently have over 60 birds on the waiting list for admission and must, unfortunately, turn away 5 to 6 a week. In those cases, we can't even recommend any place else because eveyone we know of and work with is just as strapped as we are.

Dave

#212218 - 11/14/09 11:08 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Macawman]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
I did run a couple numbers and came up with 16.666666% That's the percentage of Cockatoos to other birds here at the sanctuary. It doesn't sound like much until you consider the over 200 species of potential parrots and that we only have about 1% Eclectus and 3% Macaw.

Oh... and Amazons, Cockatiels and Greys make up the rest of the larger groups but I didn't figure those numbers out.

#212244 - 11/16/09 02:24 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: ParrotPerson]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Thanks guys! Writing all this info down!

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#212262 - 11/16/09 03:44 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Charlie]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Originally Posted By: Charlie
(Oh, Mira Tweti is not a Buddhist nun! LOL) smile

Ack! What is she?? Lol the article I read described her as a "Zen Nun" and animal welfare writer/activist...

Also, parrotperson, the email address charlie had for you gave me an error when I tried to email you... maybe can a moderator give you my email address? smile

Last edited by belle-ville; 11/16/09 06:19 AM.

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#212704 - 11/24/09 09:43 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: belle-ville]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Echosmom can I pretty please have statistics on project perry? Thank you!!!

I am getting very close, guys smile Today I am writing up the bulk of the outline of my speech, I have been here for almost 4 hours... and am presenting in one week smile

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#212902 - 11/29/09 03:52 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: belle-ville]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Hope it's coming together! Are we going to get a link to the finished project?

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#212904 - 11/29/09 05:59 PM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: Brandy's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Here are some more stats from Project Perry.

YTD 10% of the request for surrenders have been for cockatoos. The only 2 species of birds that we received more requests for were finches (35) and cockatiels (32).

Like Dave, we are having to turn down lots of requests each and every week. Instead we offer them assistance with our re-homing program, where we assist trying to match up surrenders with adoptors.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#212912 - 11/30/09 12:04 AM Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... [Re: EchosMom]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Brandy's mom: I can link you to a video of me giving the speech, just not for my class. It's going to be recorded in a lab, we're not taping the ones in the class. I'll definitely give the outline to anyone who wants it!

Thank you echosmom.

Can anyone help out with a few mutilation or plucking pictures? If not, I'm gonna scour youtube! Thanks for all your help guys. smile

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny