Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Michael), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#211233 - 10/26/09 05:11 PM Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
So the white chicken may or may not be sick. Either that or she is going to lay another egg...

I thought she was getting ready to lay an egg. What had me thinking she was going to lay an egg was her strained and more frequent, watery pooing. She also had a lack of an appetite early last week, but was still eating enough that I wasn't too worried. However, she isnt acting as she was when she layed her other egg. She is acting pretty normal - maybe slightly more clingy than normal - displaying, playing and squawking. Also, the last time I noticed that the feathers around her vent were ruffled for a good 3-4 days prior to the egg coming (I read that is a sign of an egg somewhere), but they are not at all ruffled or puffed out this time.

I have read 'Poopology' and 'How You Know if Your Bird is Sick' and it seems there is the possibility she could have some sort of sickness. She seems to be doing better the past couple days. She is eating all her food again and her poo seems to be back closer to normal.

My question is: Would you take the white chicken to the AV? Should I have taken her already? She has been with us for 7 years now, and, other than the single egg, this is the first time I have worried something might be wrong. If she has been sick before it hasnt even been noticeable enough to register a blip on my radar. She seems her normal self other than the pooping, but I cant help worry. I would appreciate knowing what you peoples with more experience would do in this situation. Is an AV visit warranted? Should I watch her for another day or two since she isnt showing any other signs except for the irregular poo?

Another thing I can think may be wrong is that there was work going on early in the week - new siding and gutters were going up. The noise and ladders outside the window were obviously frightening for her. Could this have accounted for the change in appetite and subsequent change in her poo? We have done work before, she has been scared, but she has not had a reaction like this so the timing could just be coincidence.

#211235 - 10/26/09 05:20 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: Chloe413]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
I would take any bird to the vet at the first sign of anything even slightly unusual but that is just me. Birds are so good at hiding symptoms that by the time it becomes apparent they are sick it is often too late. I would much rather bear the expense than the heartache of losing one.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#211236 - 10/26/09 05:46 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: JBryan]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
A trip to her avian vet is definitely in order. I wouldn't waste any time in doing so.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#211237 - 10/26/09 05:49 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: EchosMom]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
Yeah, she is going to go to the AV. I am mostly just hoping someone will say, 'Sounds just like she had _______, shes gonna be fine.'

I really thought it was just an egg (I say that like its nothing, but shed be going to the AV after that as well), but it seems she is a sicko. Must be that swine flu thats going around...

#211242 - 10/26/09 06:40 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: Chloe413]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
When is her appointment?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#211244 - 10/26/09 06:53 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: EchosMom]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
4 hours from now.

#211245 - 10/26/09 06:54 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: Chloe413]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Thank goodness you are taking her in, Mike! Please let us know how the vet visit goes! Hoping she will be OK!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#211247 - 10/26/09 07:00 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: Chloe413]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Oh good, please let us know when you get back. Egg binding is always of concern with hens, and having had it happen to one of my M2's, it's not just "one of those things that happens to other people's birds". My girl survived, thank God.

It's always best to be safe than sorry - you are absolutely doing the right thing by having her seen. Best wishes - we'll be watching for an update.

#211248 - 10/26/09 07:00 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Ok this may be a silly question but is this a white chicken or a cockatoo called "white chicken"? crazy

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#211252 - 10/26/09 07:10 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
This is the white chicken displayed in my avatar (that I just updated). wink

Her name is Chloe, she is an U2.

#211253 - 10/26/09 07:23 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: Chloe413]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

blush well kinda thought so but wanted to make sure lol. If we were talking about a chicken, then you definitely have issues with her laying only one egg in all this time lol.

Very glad you are getting her to the vet, always better safe than sorry.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#211278 - 10/26/09 11:26 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
I just got back from the Doc's. I did not go to my usual Doctor who is out of the office until Wednesday. I wanted to get her in there asap so I called around to a couple animal hospitals asking for AVs. The one I found seemed knowledgeable enough, but definitely wont be replacing the usual Doc.

So, she does not have an egg. This is great news. Her respiratory and heart sound good. Doctor said if her poop still seems abnormal I should get a sample in some saran wrap and bring it in for tests. I wanted her to do it there, but of course I could not get the chicken to go (she held it all the way until we got home). Chloe's couple poos between the time I got home and the time we left for the vet and the one she just did seemed normal, but if she is starts straining again she is going in to the normal guy on Wednesday.

I am relieved that there is no egg, but I am still worried it could be something else. And of course the chicken is mad at me for not saving her from examination by the mean lady.

Any ideas? Do any of your birds ever get sick? As I said in the original post she seems to be better these past couple days, but that doesnt mean she is better. The vet did not seem too concerned after her examination and only recommended additional tests if it continued.

Last edited by Chloe413; 10/26/09 11:31 PM.
#211279 - 10/26/09 11:43 PM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: Chloe413]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
No egg is indeed a very good thing!

If it were me, I would be on the phone first thing Wednesday AM to consult with her regular AV - let him know what's going on and see what he feels is best. And it never hurts to drop off a poo sample when in doubt.

Perhaps the commotion of the work going on stressed her and maybe caused her to reduce her water intake, which can result in straining. From having her seen today you know she's not dehydrated so again, another plus from today's visit.

You will keep us updated I hope.

#211280 - 10/27/09 12:03 AM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: EchosMom]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Perhaps the commotion of the work going on stressed her and maybe caused her to reduce her water intake, which can result in straining.

This makes perfect sense! Thinking about it now, I do remember noticing that her water bowl wasnt nearly as slimed as normal up during its morning cleaning. She likes mix her seed balls with water in her mouth, and the water bowl gets pretty slimey from her mixing.

I am going to call on Wednesday just to be sure another visit isnt warranted, but for the most part my mind is at ease.

These goofy chickens and the worries they cause... grin

Last edited by Chloe413; 10/27/09 12:04 AM.
#211281 - 10/27/09 12:05 AM Re: Is the bird flu real?/Sick white chickens [Re: EchosMom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
I agree with EchosMom that you should still consult with your regular AV on Wednesday, but thank goodness you took her in today and have ruled out an egg - egg binding is a MAJOR worry with cockatoo hens! I've been down that road with my own U2 a couple of times.

Please keep us posted about Chloe and give your little white chicken a kiss for me - if she'll let you smile !

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny