Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#210878 - 10/19/09 02:19 PM plucking  
Tahlia Offline
Tahlia  Offline

hi every one , i am very worried about my darling sulfur crested cockatoo, she is over plucking big time, her back is compleatly bald, and she is startig on her wings, i dont know alot a bout parrots but i have been doing alot of resurch, but it seems the more i give her the more she wants, and now she is also squalking too,i am a stay at home mum of three little kids and my darling bird does not like anyone else in my house hold just me and will chase them, i have her out alot on a purch , and let her walk around but she seems to be getting worse, sorry this is a big storie and a lot to tell so i hope it makes sence.. frown thanks for any info and advice in advance
Tahlia

#210879 - 10/19/09 03:46 PM Re: plucking [Re: Tahlia]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
When was the last time she was seen by an avian vet?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#210882 - 10/19/09 05:21 PM Re: plucking [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

From your original post, it sounds like you just acquired your Too recently? Like EM asked, has she been seen by an avian vet? This needs to be priority so that any illness can be ruled out first. There is a wealth of information here in these forums that will benefit you and your bird greatly.

The articles in this thread are very important for ALL!
Applied Behavior

You have a very long journey ahead of yourself, and need to read all you can to make the transition as easy as possible for everyone concerned.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#210939 - 10/20/09 12:30 PM Re: plucking [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Tahlia Offline
Tahlia  Offline

i have no idea when she last had a vet check, i am scared to go because the cost of one to be honest, i think my husband will kill me if it is going to cost a fortune, coz the bird dont even like him, but if its what needs to be done i guess i have to find one so we can start going through the measures of getting her happy and healthy pysicaly and mentally,

thanks for your replys back this is a great sight!!

Last edited by Tahlia; 10/20/09 12:32 PM.
#210954 - 10/21/09 01:20 AM Re: plucking [Re: Tahlia]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Absolutely, the best thing you can do for your new companion is see that she has proper veterinary care. Good luck and let us know how the vet visit goes.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#210976 - 10/21/09 02:13 PM Re: plucking [Re: EchosMom]  
christina0001 Offline
christina0001  Offline

MO
Search for a vet that sees a lot of birds (an avian vet is best)- and call for quotes. The price may not be as bad as you think for a basic exam, a bit of bloodwork and stool test. I don't remember exactly but when I took my bird in January I think it cost roughly $100. Your local bird rescue might also be able to recommend a vet.
Also try to keep track of when your bird plucks (for example, in the mornings, or after the kids come home from school, etc.) to discuss with your vet too.
Best of luck!

#211373 - 10/28/09 10:16 PM Re: plucking [Re: christina0001]  
RufflesMom Offline
RufflesMom  Offline

Many times a bird will pluck because of the stress of change. You need to evaluate what has changed in your bird's life in the last few months. Even small changes can upset a bird.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny