Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210423 - 10/12/09 01:43 AM Is it too cold?  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Is 50 degrees too cold for our living room parrots to be outside? It's sunny, but kinda cool...50-52 I hate to have to give up the aviary already.
Cheryl

#210425 - 10/12/09 02:24 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: Winter's mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cheryl at the zoo we would put the parrots out if it was over 50, sunny and no wind. These are parrots that are acclimated to the weather though and go out everyday it's over 50 until the weather stays above 60 then they live out side in the aviaries until fall when they start going in at night again until it gets too cold to go out. I would think that if you brought them out for short periods of time at noon when it's the warmest that they would do ok. Just watch them closely to see if they are fluffing up against the cold. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#210445 - 10/12/09 02:28 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

Nancy hit it it pretty well dead on. 50 degrees is pushing the limit without an external heat source. Especially if the birds are coming straight out of a 70+ degree living room environment. That sudden drop of 20+ degrees could certainly induce the beginning stages of hypothermia and perhaps even shock. At the very least, when hypothermia sets in, one of the first things that will happen is that the immune system will start to shut down to conserve heat enery. Just like with stress and injuries, this can allow the little nasties in the the bird's body that the immune system normally keep in check quite easily to flair causing digestive system infections.

There are those that claim that birds can acclimate to cold temperatures, but that is only true to a point. That point is generally 45-50. Our vet will not permit anything under 50, and then only with strong sun direct sunlight and no wind. When you consider, for example, the new-world parrots of the amazon delta, thier physiology evolved in an environment where 62 degrees is a cold winter night. Thier systems simply are not capable of truely "acclimating" to much less then that. Sure, they might "survive" lower temperatures, but our goal is "thrive" not "survive".

I hate loosing the use of the aviaries as well, so I can certainly understand. Especially when I have to start trucking the macaws to the shower one at a time on Sundays for their bath instead of mist-bathing 15-20 at time in an aviary, but I guess that's life in a cooler climate.

Dave

#210446 - 10/12/09 02:53 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: Macawman]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I like your quote Dave, "our goal is to thrive, not survive". Personally I just think 50 degrees is too cold, but then that's coming from a Floridian too - LOL!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#210452 - 10/12/09 11:00 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: EchosMom]  
RufflesMom Offline
RufflesMom  Offline

That was very helpful info for me!! Thanks I was wondering the same thing. Today I decided that the outdoor aviary would probably be out of use for awhile because of the temp drop.
Emily

My Flock:
6 U2's, 2 M's, 2 C2's, and 1 LSC2

#210455 - 10/12/09 11:12 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: RufflesMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Dave brings up a very good suggestion about the heat source. If you are not planning on supervising the birds on cool days you should have an outside heat source available for them. This is easy to do with a ceramic heat emitter. Make a cage for the exterior of the aviary mounting the the heater at least five inches away from the aviary mesh to avoid burns. Mount a perch under it and you have a toasty basking area! Lights and heat emitters made for turtles are great in that they are moisture resistant, just offer a little protection from direct rain and you're all set. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#210457 - 10/13/09 12:37 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
RufflesMom...are you on Facebook? Not that you probably have much time for it with 11 TOOs!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#210469 - 10/13/09 02:19 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: Brandy's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I believe many facilities that house birds outdoors also use tarping to keep the wind out and the warmth in don't they?

Personally, I would worry myself sick (even here in Florida) during the winter months when the temp drops, especially if I wasn't at home to monitor their comfort.

I know that zoos and such may not have other choices, but most individual homes do.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#210479 - 10/13/09 02:59 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wind blocks are used in most zoos and rehab facilities. I'm with you EM I would never leave birds outside in an aviary unattended. Too much can happen even in the warm months. I know some folks do but I couldn't. I think it is nice to be able to go out if the weather is nice. Up here we get such a short warm spell that we lengthen everything we can LOL the bitter comes soon enough and we're house bound for at least four months.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#210489 - 10/13/09 04:36 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

oh,they are never unattended, warm or cooler weather. And you guys are right.. they just seemed cold after about 20 minutes even in the sun. Guess we're inside til spring.

#210492 - 10/13/09 04:58 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: Winter's mom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Midwest here as well, we are done outside until spring frown. Spent this last week preparing the house and gardens for winter ugh, summer was far too short this year. Last night we dropped below 30.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#210610 - 10/15/09 04:36 AM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

<sigh> here ,too. high tomorrow 44 (ugh)

#210623 - 10/15/09 05:10 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: Winter's mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Deborah, where in the Midwest are you? I know Cheryl is in Michigan. I'm so sorry you guys have winter temps already. Actually, here in Dallas, Texas, it's been unseasonably cool and wet since the last week in September. We went to the State Fair last weekend and I nearly froze to death - weather guy said the sun would come out by afternoon, and I believed him - wore a sweatshirt, but needed a coat as the sun never came out and the temp never got above 50! Very strange weather for Texas in October. Wonder if this means we will all have a hard winter this year...

Annette

Last edited by MissYumYum; 10/15/09 05:11 PM. Reason: sp.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#210641 - 10/15/09 06:03 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We are in Illinois, just south of Wisconsin and and just west of Chicago. Last year we had snow for what seemed like 9 months straight ugh! Now I do love winter and the snow, but enough is enough. The chill factor that comes off Lake Michigan makes it even colder here in the winter. So our temps are pretty much the same as Cheryl's, just opposite sides of the lake. I moved here from CA 6 years ago, and almost froze to death the first winter lol.

Deborah

#210643 - 10/15/09 06:16 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
OMG - from Ca to northern Illinois? You poor thing! Even I with my thin Texas blood would be better equipped for the change in climate, LOL! Still, as a native Texan, I would love to see snow more often, and also, I would love to actually experience all 4 seasons, as you do. That lake effect snow must be unrelenting, though. I don't know how you and Cheryl can take it year after year! Did you get Ozzy while you were in CA?

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#210647 - 10/15/09 06:32 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I don' t know how you all handle the cold!!!

Right now the temp here in the Tampa Bay area is 86F with a feel like temp of 96 - unusually humid for this time of year.

#210650 - 10/15/09 06:47 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: MissYumYum
Did you get Ozzy while you were in CA?

Annette

Ozzy found us here in Il, his original parent was raising him in a local restaurant with a few Macaws. The Macaws had attacked Ozzy, and the owner decided that he needed a new home. Ozzy does wear a band though, and from what I can tell he is originally from CA as well.

One of our neighbors works with a bird rescue and when she heard about Ozzy needing an immediate home, she asked us. She new my love for birds, and that we were willing to take in even the most difficult. Funny story though, Ozzy has never been even the least bit difficult, actually far from it. He was filthy (from the blood stains) and missing most of his tail and wing feathers (which have all grown back). I think the original owners just thought he looked too unpleasant for customers to see.

I am glad they did, he is our blessing.

Deborah

#210652 - 10/15/09 06:51 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: EchosMom]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Unseasonably hot and humid here in Key West but cooler temps are expected for the week-end. I always keep Cleo inside if the temp is below 60, which is rare. Also never take her out in the cold north wind that accompanies our "cold" fronts. Those of you in the north would find us laughable but if it's below 70, we're a bit uncomfortable.

Pat

One Day At A Time
#210653 - 10/15/09 06:59 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Cleo's Mom
Unseasonably hot and humid here in Key West but cooler temps are expected for the week-end. I always keep Cleo inside if the temp is below 60, which is rare. Also never take her out in the cold north wind that accompanies our "cold" fronts. Those of you in the north would find us laughable but if it's below 70, we're a bit uncomfortable.

My kind of discomfort!!! I've always wanted to live in Key West. Maybe, if I'm luck, I might get to visit there one day.

Dave

#210656 - 10/15/09 07:20 PM Re: Is it too cold? [Re: MissYumYum]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Quote:
Still, as a native Texan, I would love to see snow more often, and also, I would love to actually experience all 4 seasons, as you do.

Now, hold on there. When I moved here (OKC) from Wyoming ten years ago one of the guys unloading the moving van picked up my snow shovel and asked what this was for. I knew I was at home then and I don't ever want to go back. LOL

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny